Simmons' levels of Losing

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Simmons revamped his "levels of losing" and I thought some really struck home with me. One good, one bad.

Level V: The Role Reversal
Definition: Any rivalry in which one team dominated another team for an extended period of time, then the perennial loser improbably turned the tables. ... Like when Beecher fought back against Schillinger in "Oz," knocked him out and even pulled a Najeh Davenport on his face. For the fans of the vanquished team, the most crushing part of the "Role Reversal" isn't the actual defeat as much as the loss of an ongoing edge over the fans from the other team. You lose the jokes, the arrogance and the unwavering confidence that the other team can't beat you. There's almost a karmic shift. You can feel it.
Worst Personal Example: None really - my teams have usually been the underdog.
Best Personal Example: Doesn't this totally describe the Iowa series? Honestly I think Iowa fans really miss that edge over us, and that's why it's so crushing to them to lose that game.

Level IV: The Guillotine
Definition: This one combines the devastation of The Broken Axle Game with sweeping bitterness and hostility. ... Your team's hanging tough (hell, they might even be winning), but you can feel the inevitable breakdown coming, and you keep waiting for the guillotine to drop, and you just know it's coming -- you know it -- and when it finally comes, you're angry that it happened and you're angry at yourself for contributing to the debilitating karma. ... These are the games when people end up whipping their remote controls against a wall or breaking their hands while pounding a coffee table. ... Too many of these and you'll end up in prison.
Best Example: Game 7 of the '97 World Series (Indians-Marlins), when Cleveland's Jose Mesa gave up the game-tying run in the ninth inning. Every Indians fan knew it was coming. Of course, the '97 World Series never happened, so it's probably a moot point. We need to get that one wiped out of the record books.
Personal Memory: Does this not describe the Mizzou and Kansas losses from '04 and '05? Just brutal games, the entire crowd could feel the loss coming, and then once it happened everybody just dragged themselves out of the stadium. I was in attendance for both and it just sounds exact to me.

Level XV: The Achilles' Heel
Definition: This defeat transcends the actual game, because it revealed something larger about your team, a fatal flaw exposed for everyone to see. ... Flare guns are fired, red flags are raised, doubt seeps into your team. ... Usually the beginning of the end. (You don't fully comprehend this until you're reflecting back on it.) Best Example: We just had two in the first month of the 2007 NFL season -- San Diego getting crushed by New England (the day everyone realized that Norv Turner and Ted Cottrell were prominently involved in the 2007 Chargers season), and Dallas crushing the Rex Grossman era in Chicago and causing Bears fans to start chanting "Griese! Griese!" (Like Brian Griese could ever save the day.)
Personal Memory: Is this not the Iowa game from this year? We totally exposed their offense and now everybody is doing to them what we did, and they can't stop it. The writing was on the wall. This is getting uncanny.

Last edited:

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I hope I don't look like the stupidest person here, but who is Simmons??

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Bill Simmons, ESPN writer for page 2. I like his stuff most of the time.

Todd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Definition:
This defeat transcends the actual game, because it revealed something larger about your team, a fatal flaw exposed for everyone to see. ... Flare guns are fired, red flags are raised, doubt seeps into your team. ... Usually the beginning of the end. (You don't fully comprehend this until you're reflecting back on it.) Best Example: We just had two in the first month of the 2007 NFL season -- San Diego getting crushed by New England (the day everyone realized that Norv Turner and Ted Cottrell were prominently involved in the 2007 Chargers season), and Dallas crushing the Rex Grossman era in Chicago and causing Bears fans to start chanting "Griese! Griese!" (Like Brian Griese could ever save the day.)

This could also be the Seneca game at Oklahoma...that was the worst with all the hype before hand etc. and we were never the same after.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Level XX: The KF Excuse

Definition: Your fans hope you win after they pay you millions, but try as hard as you may, you cannot find decent qbs and wide receivers and blockers after the latest recruiting efforts. You then allude to the unlimited potential to reach a bowl game on New years Day, but you let the fans figure it out for themselves. Example: Lose to Indiana at home.

Last edited:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Definition: This defeat transcends the actual game, because it revealed something larger about your team, a fatal flaw exposed for everyone to see. ... Flare guns are fired, red flags are raised, doubt seeps into your team. ... Usually the beginning of the end. (You don't fully comprehend this until you're reflecting back on it.) Best Example: We just had two in the first month of the 2007 NFL season -- San Diego getting crushed by New England (the day everyone realized that Norv Turner and Ted Cottrell were prominently involved in the 2007 Chargers season), and Dallas crushing the Rex Grossman era in Chicago and causing Bears fans to start chanting "Griese! Griese!" (Like Brian Griese could ever save the day.)

This could also be the Seneca game at Oklahoma...that was the worst with all the hype before hand etc. and we were never the same after.

Yeah that had to be one of the most devastating games Ive watched as a clone fan. I flying so high at that point and then my wings vanished and I came crashing down hard into reality. Thats ok, I highly look forward to making up for that day.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Personal Memory: Is this not the Iowa game from this year? We totally exposed their offense and now everybody is doing to them what we did, and they can't stop it. The writing was on the wall. This is getting uncanny.

I have thought the same thing many times.... right on bra'tha!

-keep.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Yeah that had to be one of the most devastating games Ive watched as a clone fan. I flying so high at that point and then my wings vanished and I came crashing down hard into reality. Thats ok, I highly look forward to making up for that day.

I remember how much I looked forward to that game, and then ABC comes on the air and has Seneca in a toga and some kind of "wisdom of Seneca" piece. I've always hated that kind of artificial hype and to me it just makes for bad karma if there is such a thing.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
Heh, I played this game with my teams the last time he ran the column. Of course when you're a Chiefs and Cyclones fan you have plenty of crushing losses to choose from...

Another example for an Achilles' heel game might be ISU @UT in basketball '01. Things seemed to be going great and then that game happened. We tried to rationalize that things were ok but it is clear looking back that we were done for whatever reason.

ISU@KU football '05 is the best example for the guillotine game. Sitting in that stands every fan around me knew we were already screwed and we still had the lead. Absolutely brutal.