The playing surface looked 2nd to none yesterday...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cysocool

Jul 12, 2010
I enjoy walking into Jack Trice from the north and walking up the hill to see one of the best playing surfaces in all of the BCS. This Saturday it looked in prime form, well done I-State...

Real football is played on real grass...

Reactions: CloneFan4

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
Field has looked fantastic all year, despite the heavy rain early in the season. Great job to the field crew.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I made a comment about that as well yesterday. It was in PERFECT condition. We are very fortunate to have such a competent crew tending to the grounds.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I agree, football is meant to be played outdoors on the grass. I hate the field turf that everyone seems to have these days.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Yes it was GREAT. Watching the Chiefs game right now, their field is turrible compared to ours.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I enjoy walking into Jack Trice from the north and walking up the hill to see one of the best playing surfaces in all of the BCS. This Saturday it looked in prime form, well done I-State...

Real football is played on real grass...

Richie Allen of the Phillies cover it all when he saw the first artificial turf of the Astrodome with words to this effect “If cows don’t eat it, I don’t want to play on itâ€￾.

Cysrevenge

Aug 13, 2010
Noticed that too... Arrowhead's turf has looked like crap for the last several years for some reason.

I'm guessing there are way more games played at arrowhead every year. 8-9 chiefs games, a few college games, HS, etc. not saying our crew and our turf program aren't second to none, I just think that has a lot to do with why there's looks so bad between the hash marks

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I'm guessing there are way more games played at arrowhead every year. 8-9 chiefs games, a few college games, HS, etc. not saying our crew and our turf program aren't second to none, I just think that has a lot to do with why there's looks so bad between the hash marks

Understood but they spent MILLIONS in renovating that stadium. They make millions each year on all those football games. Guess it costs too much to repair or even replace between the hashes if things start looking bad. Heck it was looking bad during the ISU vs KSU game.

cysocool

Jul 12, 2010
So glad we have what we do...Nebraska's field looks HORRIBLE imo.

If Nebraska switched to natural grass, would they have to install center pivot irrigation to keep it from dying? I think they should change their nickname to the center pivot irrigation cornhuskers... :smile:

Let's Go State

Nov 6, 2007
West Coast (of Iowa)
Yes it was GREAT. Watching the Chiefs game right now, their field is turrible compared to ours.

Kansas city is the worst place in the world to grow grass (I hate my yard compared to my old Iowa lawn). Too warm for bluegrass, too cool for bermudagrass so the chiefs try to blend it with annual ryegrass that can't take a pounding. Its actually pretty good considering what it goes under.

However - I absolutely agree that Jack Trice stadium grass is as good as you could possibly get. Hats off to the ground crew.