Other pre game issues....

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Besides the Jeff Johnson mess, does the SLOW-Motion color guard bother anyone? They need to be snappy to keep everyones attention, not taking baby steps and holding things up so pre game has to restart while they are marching. If they want people to honor our flag and country, they have to do it in a way that will keep people's attention.

If you want people in the stands, give them a reason to get there early.

1. JJ has to go
2. Snappy color guard
3. Fire-up entrance music
4. More highlights on the screen
5. Get creative.

Reactions: CP44

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You would think that our freaking football team would get people in the stand. The above are annoyances to some people, they shouldn't be dealbreakers.

Our fans are lazy and it is going to cost us at some point. And then all of you lazy fans who complain about stupid, dumb stuff will have not right to complain about it.

And as far as the highlights.....those were reduced this year due to the flood and having to operate the scoreboard out of a truck rather than the basement of Hilton. I am sure that the highlights will be better next year. I suppose next year you will complain that there are too many highlights or that the scoreboard is too bright.

Reactions: wxman1

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
You would think that our freaking football team would get people in the stand. The above are annoyances to some people, they shouldn't be dealbreakers.

Our fans are lazy and it is going to cost us at some point. And then all of you lazy fans who complain about stupid, dumb stuff will have not right to complain about it.

And as far as the highlights.....those were reduced this year due to the flood and having to operate the scoreboard out of a truck rather than the basement of Hilton. I am sure that the highlights will be better next year. I suppose next year you will complain that there are too many highlights or that the scoreboard is too bright.

Instead of saying everyone is an idiot who is late, I prefer to take a positive approach and entice them to come in earlier. I've never missed a kickoff, and go to all the games. But I certainly can see the lack of appeal of the pre game for some. Improving things is part of everything, from our play to our pre and post game experience. Take it or leave it is not the approach to take imo.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Oh, so this is the high horse thread .....

-keep

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Instead of saying everyone is an idiot who is late, I prefer to take a positive approach and entice them to come in earlier. I've never missed a kickoff, and go to all the games. But I certainly can see the lack of appeal of the pre game for some. Improving things is part of everything, from our play to our pre and post game experience. Take it or leave it is not the approach to take imo.

So you think that there would have been 10,000 more fans in the stand yesterday at the start if the color guard was snappy?

Like I said, we are going to get what we have coming to us and it appears that the majority of our fans are OK with that.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
So you think that there would have been 10,000 more fans in the stand yesterday at the start if the color guard was snappy?

Like I said, we are going to get what we have coming to us and it appears that the majority of our fans are OK with that.

I'm commenting because it's apparently a rub with CPR, and maybe some suggestions are in order to improve things. College athletics is a business. I own a business. If my customers aren't buying something, I look at why and improve it. I don't say, if they don't like it, TS. That's a quick map to fail.

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Maybe we could start the game with me lecturing the fans on what they could do to be better fans :)

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless

Agree, what some peeps won't complain about these days. Why are some so consumed worrying about others. Let them chose how they want to enjoy the game. If part of it is showing up after kick off so be it. In the end it all comes down to one thing and that is a good football product on the field. Everything else is just fluff.

Reactions: keepngoal

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Well it is now. Our head coach says we have a problem. Some good thought needs to be put into how best to fix it. What's wrong with that way of thinking??
I guess I don't get why it isn't enough to get in the damn stands before the game even if some of the pregame stuff annoys you.

Some people must live lives a lot better than mine because barely an hour goes by without me having to deal with someone or something that is annoying. That's life. I put up with some things I find annoying in the pregame (honestly I don't really hate the Cyclone Power thing anymore and I am not sure why JJ didn't explain how we were giong to do the ALL IN thing yesterday) in order to be supportive and to get to the part I enjoy----the football.

Reactions: lakeliving

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Agree, what some peeps won't complain about these days. Why are some so consumed worrying about others. Let them chose how they want to enjoy the game. If part of it is showing up after kick off so be it. In the end it all comes down to one thing and that is a good football product on the field. Everything else is just fluff.

Actually, when our head coach (who will likely sometime in the future be persued by another program), brings it up it is not fluff.

Starting last Saturday, Rhoads started talking about attendence. Yesterday after the game, he twice made some snide comments about the late arriving crowd. It clearly bothers him and his team.

Most of us fans don't have the ability to donate money to the AD, this is what we can do to help keep our coach happy. I think it is worth it. Thousands of our fans don't.

Reactions: isuno1fan

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Actually, when our head coach (who will likely sometime in the future be persued by another program), brings it up it is not fluff.

Starting last Saturday, Rhoads started talking about attendence. Yesterday after the game, he twice made some snide comments about the late arriving crowd. It clearly bothers him and his team.

Most of us fans don't have the ability to donate money to the AD, this is what we can do to help keep our coach happy. I think it is worth it. Thousands of our fans don't.

QFT

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
I guess I don't get why it isn't enough to get in the damn stands before the game even if some of the pregame stuff annoys you.

Some people must live lives a lot better than mine because barely an hour goes by without me having to deal with someone or something that is annoying. That's life. I put up with some things I find annoying in the pregame (honestly I don't really hate the Cyclone Power thing anymore and I am not sure why JJ didn't explain how we were giong to do the ALL IN thing yesterday) in order to be supportive and to get to the part I enjoy----the football.

I agree. Imagine going to an ISU football game and being able to watch a good ISU Cyclone football team winning games. What a concept. I don't have to have all the other window dressing if I have good ISU football. All that stuff will come and go whatever. In the end it's all about winning games for me. I will say I would like to see more marching band and drum line stuff.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless

Fluff to me is the snappy color guard, the silly cheer debate, the score board issues. It's all fluff. I come to watch ISU football all the other stuff is not critical to my in order to enjoy watching good ISU football winning. It's nice but it is still fluff.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
Did Rhoads say something about fans in the stands at kickoff? I know we didnt get in before the kickoff, the lines moved very slow at the gates.

Also one other issue that HAS to change is the concession stands. Pathetic period. I will absolutely not buy any food at JTC anymore. I waited in line with one guy in front of me for 30 minutes and missed the punt return, what did both of us want...f'ing popcorn. Then the guy that sits in front of us went to get a hotdog, nobody in line, he waits 15 minutes to even be waited on. What was workers doing? WRAPPING HOTDOGS, ALL OF THE WORKERS. JEEEEEEEEEZ. Pathetic.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Yesterday it was clear that people's priorities prior to the game were:

1. Drink beer
2. Talk to friends
3. Walk around in the beautiful weather
4. Watch football

I know not everyone wants to be in the stadium an hour before kickoff like I do. But with only 1-2 minutes to kickoff, the stadium was only maybe 1/3 full. The hills were packed more densly than the stands.

I agree that pregame entertainment inside the stadium will not entice people to enter the gates earlier. Most people are clearly tailgating fans more than they are football fans. David Copperfield would not get these people into the stadium until they've had enough beers that they're satisfactorily buzzed.

Reactions: CyBobby

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Did Rhoads say something about fans in the stands at kickoff? I know we didnt get in before the kickoff, the lines moved very slow at the gates.

Also one other issue that HAS to change is the concession stands. Pathetic period. I will absolutely not buy any food at JTC anymore. I waited in line with one guy in front of me for 30 minutes and missed the punt return, what did both of us want...f'ing popcorn. Then the guy that sits in front of us went to get a hotdog, nobody in line, he waits 15 minutes to even be waited on. What was workers doing? WRAPPING HOTDOGS, ALL OF THE WORKERS. JEEEEEEEEEZ. Pathetic.

You mean like they do at every sporting and concert in history? Get in line 5 minutes earlier. I don't know when you went to buy your f'ing popcorn, but I left my seat right after the 1st half ended, got a couple pops and a water, waited for my wife to use the restroom, went to talk to some friends who sit near us, and still made it to my seat before the 2nd half kick.