Does anybody else watch Big Break?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Alright, I did not play college golf like most of these guys did (hell, some of them have supposedly played on mini tours), so why do I, as a 7 handicap, feel like I wouldn't be the worst player on this show?

Some of these guys flat out SUCK!! I just watched last week's episode, and some idiot pulls out a 3-wood because he thinks he's 295 yards out on his second into a par 5 (actually, he's a little over 2 bills). He has a sky caddy even, but how in the world is this moron not able to eyeball it and know he's not that far out? If the sky caddie says 295, walk your lazy *** to the middle of the fairway to look for the little blue stake.

Anyhow, he hits a "flyer" and "nukes it" clear past the green. As he's driving up to the green he STILL thinks he was 295 out and somehow has superhuman strength and ability to hit a 3 wood, out of the rough, well over 340 yards.

This is only one example (another guy can't hit a 100 yard wedge within 28 feet!!!).
One of these friggin ****** is going to get a sponser's exemption to play in a PGA tour event.

How the hell do they get on this show? Seriously, does anybody know the criteria? It's so frustrating to watch, because I want in.

jamesfnb

Apr 9, 2006
I agree. I'm a low handicap and I watch the show thinking these guys look like hackers. But then I think how nervous I would be with the cameras, etc...and I'd probably hack it around too. Plus, I'd be staring at the pretty girls rather than concentrating on my game.

DollaDollaBill

Mar 2, 2010
CR
I haven't watched the current season so I can't comment on them but some of the guys on past seasons are flat out sticks. Tommy "two gloves" from a few seasons back has done pretty well for himself. I played college golf and most guys who are ~10 handicaps have no idea what it's like playing under tournament conditions with any amount of pressure on them at all. A 10 handicap turns into a 20 handicap real quick with a little pressure and no mulligans and gimmies. Throw some cameras and PGA sponsor exemptions on top of that and you have a recipe for god awful shots.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I haven't watched the current season so I can't comment on them but some of the guys on past seasons are flat out sticks. Tommy "two gloves" from a few seasons back has done pretty well for himself. I played college golf and most guys who are ~10 handicaps have no idea what it's like playing under tournament conditions with any amount of pressure on them at all. A 10 handicap turns into a 20 handicap real quick with a little pressure and no mulligans and gimmies. Throw some cameras and PGA sponsor exemptions on top of that and you have a recipe for god awful shots.

Granted. To confuse a 200 yard shot with one from 295, and then continue to think it was 295 after blasting a 3-wood 60-80 yards over the green, is just plain stupid though. 'Tournament pressure' is not an excuse for this kind of embarassment, and I don't care how good (or bad) the golfer.

If you've seen past seasons, you'd know of this guy. David...the long drive champion.

DollaDollaBill

Mar 2, 2010
CR
Granted. To confuse a 200 yard shot with one from 295, and then continue to think it was 295 after blasting a 3-wood 60-80 yards over the green, is just plain stupid though. 'Tournament pressure' is not an excuse for this kind of embarassment, and I don't care how good (or bad) the golfer.

If you've seen past seasons, you'd know of this guy. David...the long drive champion.

Definitely agree with you there. If you're on a golf show..you should be able to eyeball the difference between 200 and 300 yds.

Long drive guys are a whole different story. Most of them can't even play even though they can hit it 400 yards. I'm thinking TGC picks them for the show for the entertainment value. I've had the opportunity to play with a couple guys who have played at North Carolina and one at Cal and they are all struggling on the Nationwide Tour. The guy who played at Cal was on a top 10 team and when I play with him on courses in Iowa...TEARS them apart. I'm talking 65 or lower any day of the week. People don't realize how many really really good players are out there and how competitive the mini tours are.

One other note...when these guys come back to Iowa, they rave about the trueness/smoothness of the greens and course conditions. They say they only wish the courses in AZ and Cali were in the condition that Iowa courses are. I think we take it for granted how cheap we can play quality golf in Iowa.