Laptop help again

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I have this laptop that won't boot up. It just goes to a black screen. I assumed it was a hard-drive issue but I've also tried a bootable CD and bootable USB and both do the same thing. I am able to get into the BIOS settings so I know the boot sequence has CD and USB before hard-drive. I should be able to boot to CD even if the hard-drive is totally fried right?
In the BIOS I don't see anything about the hard-drive. Don't they usually have something that shows what drive it will try to use? Any thing else I should look for?

Oh, there is a memory test in the BIOS menu that I ran and it passed.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I have this laptop that won't boot up. It just goes to a black screen. I assumed it was a hard-drive issue but I've also tried a bootable CD and bootable USB and both do the same thing. I am able to get into the BIOS settings so I know the boot sequence has CD and USB before hard-drive. I should be able to boot to CD even if the hard-drive is totally fried right?
In the BIOS I don't see anything about the hard-drive. Don't they usually have something that shows what drive it will try to use? Any thing else I should look for?

Oh, there is a memory test in the BIOS menu that I ran and it passed.

What kind of GPU do you have? If it's an NVIDIA graphics chip, particularly of the 8000m or 9000m series, you're likely dealing with overheating issues that melt/resolidify the solder that connects the GPU to the motherboard. Enough of these cycles (usually 14-18 months worth) and the GPU separates from the motherboard. Or, if the overheating was as bad as it was in my case, you end up frying both your GPU and motherboard.

Try this - when you start up in safe mode, uninstall your display drivers, then try restarting your computer. If it boots in normal mode, you know you have a GPU issue. If that's not the problem, you can always reinstall your display drivers from safe mode.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
What kind of GPU do you have? If it's an NVIDIA graphics chip, particularly of the 8000m or 9000m series, you're likely dealing with overheating issues that melt/resolidify the solder that connects the GPU to the motherboard. Enough of these cycles (usually 14-18 months worth) and the GPU separates from the motherboard. Or, if the overheating was as bad as it was in my case, you end up frying both your GPU and motherboard.

Try this - when you start up in safe mode, uninstall your display drivers, then try restarting your computer. If it boots in normal mode, you know you have a GPU issue. If that's not the problem, you can always reinstall your display drivers from safe mode.

I can't boot to safe mode. It never gets that far. BIOS is as far as I get.

EDIT: It does have the 8000m graphics chip

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I can't boot to safe mode. It never gets that far. BIOS is as far as I get.

EDIT: It does have the 8000m graphics chip

As soon as you power up your laptop, press and hold F8 until you hear the computer beep. That will take you to start up options to where you can start up in safe mode.

And yes, it's sounding more and more like you're having GPU issues.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
As soon as you power up your laptop, press and hold F8 until you hear the computer beep. That will take you to start up options to where you can start up in safe mode.

And yes, it's sounding more and more like you're having GPU issues.

I've tried F8 but either it's not getting there or, as has been mentioned, the graphics aren't working. Sounds like the latter.

Thanks for everyone's help... again.