Des Moines target for UFL expansion team

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
http://www.ufl-football.com/news/omaha-influencing-expansion-plans

Omaha Influencing Expansion Plans

..The UFL may be banking on finding similar magic in other Midwest markets as the league continues its expansion. Commissioner Huyghue said Monday the league hopes to have eight teams ready for the 2011 season, three more than are presently playing. The Hampton Roads, Va., region has already been announced as the UFL's sixth franchise, and the addition of a team in Los Angeles has been strongly rumored.

When the Nighthawks became an overnight sensation in Omaha, the league stepped back to examine whether other Midwest cities may embrace a franchise with similar frenzy.

The commissioner specifically mentioned Des Moines, Iowa, and Wichita, Kan., as possible markets for future expansion. Both cities have metropolitan area populations slightly smaller than Omaha – each are between 550,000 and 600,000 residents - and both have existing facilities that could accommodate a UFL team. Wichita's Cessna Stadium holds just more than 31,000 fans while Des Moines has both Drake Stadium, home of the renowned Drake Relays, and Principal Park, a baseball stadium that is home to the Iowa Cubs, the Chicago Cubs' Triple-A affiliate...

Last edited:

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
Wouldn't hold your breath on this. The attendance for all these teams, minus Omaha, is very bad and the league is losing tons of money. I don't see the UFL lasting many more years.

Would be cool though to see. I wonder where they would play?

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
Omaha Influencing Expansion Plans | UFL

Omaha Influencing Expansion Plans

..The UFL may be banking on finding similar magic in other Midwest markets as the league continues its expansion. Commissioner Huyghue said Monday the league hopes to have eight teams ready for the 2011 season, three more than are presently playing. The Hampton Roads, Va., region has already been announced as the UFL's sixth franchise, and the addition of a team in Los Angeles has been strongly rumored.

When the Nighthawks became an overnight sensation in Omaha, the league stepped back to examine whether other Midwest cities may embrace a franchise with similar frenzy.

The commissioner specifically mentioned Des Moines, Iowa, and Wichita, Kan., as possible markets for future expansion. Both cities have metropolitan area populations slightly smaller than Omaha – each are between 550,000 and 600,000 residents - and both have existing facilities that could accommodate a UFL team. Wichita's Cessna Stadium holds just more than 31,000 fans while Des Moines has both Drake Stadium, home of the renowned Drake Relays, and Principal Park, a baseball stadium that is home to the Iowa Cubs, the Chicago Cubs' Triple-A affiliate...
No way Des Moines can support AFL and UFL:no:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
No way Des Moines can support AFL and UFL:no:

You're probably correct, realistically.

I don't live in Iowa anymore, but I grew up there, and I always liked the idea of pro teams in the state, even in fledgling leagues.

AFL is probably a safer bet, because of the niche factor, and the volatility of "real" football competing in the shadow of the NFL and college football, but UFL is enticing, and at least for me, after the novelty of arena football waned, I don't pay any attention to it.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
This. Any UFL team would be Star-Chopped out of the state after 2 years.

I'm not sure Des Moines can support a UFL and AFL team.
I'm not sure Des Moines can support a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.
I'm not sure that Des Moines can support Dahl's and Hy-Vee.
I'm not sure that Des Moines can support Burger King and McDonalds.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I'm not sure Des Moines can support a UFL and AFL team.
I'm not sure Des Moines can support a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.
I'm not sure that Des Moines can support Dahl's and Hy-Vee.
I'm not sure that Des Moines can support Burger King and McDonalds.

I see what you did there...........

Reactions: Broodwich

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
why would people go see another minor league football league..yet we cannot grow our support beyond 42k? What is wrong with people? Is beer served at this gimmick leagues that much more of an attractive hook > seeing Big 12 football?

Not sure if I am on the right track here or not. Maybe I am wrong.

Last edited:

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
boring... let me know when they bring in a lingerie football league team

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
why would people go see another minor league football league..yet we cannot grow our support beyond 42k? What is wrong with people? Is beer served at this gimmick leagues that much more of an attractive hook > seeing Big 12 football?

Not sure if I am on the right track here or not. Maybe I am wrong.
Some UFL tickets are ten bucks. Cheap.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Some UFL tickets are ten bucks. Cheap.

Yeah and it would be only something like 4 homes games.

Enjoing a little tailgating beforehand, watching a some football with a group of buddies while enjoying a few beers. Walking down to Court Avenue afterwards.

Yeah...I can see some appeal for some.

InCytful

Jun 11, 2010
Omaha, NE
Omaha promoted their team and has a market for a limited schedule of home games. The league was careful not to schedule against NFL or Big XII home games. I don't know about the other cities, or how long it'll last.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
UFL would never fly in Des Moines, high school football is way tooooooooo big here. Matt & Miller on the drive home yesterday mentioned playing games at either Drake or Sec Taylor Stadium. Okay, lets use Drake Stadium as a potential home stadium for a Des Moines UFL team. The UFL team would have to schedule around both high school games and Drake games. Is it possible to make it happen? Sure it is, but I think the average joe six pack in Central Iowa would choose high school football over a UFL team, regardless of who is in the roster.

The UFL works in Omaha because 1- high school football isn't nearly as big as what it's here and 2 you only have to schedule around 1 college football team and the only time the Nighthawks and the Huskers go head to head was last Saturday and the Nighthawks were on the road. How is a Des Moines UFL team going to schedule around not one, but two major college football programs?

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I doubt that the team in Omaha will even sustain the interest long term.
A) it was new
B) it was in a soon to be demolished Rosenblatt (people want to get in a couple more times)
C) There was GREAT weather for the first two homegames which didnt hurt either

Next year might hold on while people enjoy the new stadium but year 3 and 4 I would bet to be much less, if the league lasts!

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
UFL would never fly in Des Moines, high school football is way tooooooooo big here. Matt & Miller on the drive home yesterday mentioned playing games at either Drake or Sec Taylor Stadium. Okay, lets use Drake Stadium as a potential home stadium for a Des Moines UFL team. The UFL team would have to schedule around both high school games and Drake games. Is it possible to make it happen? Sure it is, but I think the average joe six pack in Central Iowa would choose high school football over a UFL team, regardless of who is in the roster.

The UFL works in Omaha because 1- high school football isn't nearly as big as what it's here and 2 you only have to schedule around 1 college football team and the only time the Nighthawks and the Huskers go head to head was last Saturday and the Nighthawks were on the road. How is a Des Moines UFL team going to schedule around not one, but two major college football programs?

I'm not sure whether a UFL team would succeed in DSM or not but I find it hard to believe that high school football in Omaha isn't just as popular as high school football in DSM. Also, I don't think they would really be competing with HS football, unless you know someone playing in the game, you aren't just going to go to some random HS game.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
How about having UFL play in Ames? We could have ISU/UFL team double-headers at the Jack. Fans buy one ticket and see two games. The extra revenue from the UFL fans would be awesome. We would have to bowl in the stadium due to the increase in ticket sales right away. Win-win. Sell beer for the UFL portion and many ISU fans would make sure to stay.

To JP and the UFL - youre welcome.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
How about having UFL play in Ames? We could have ISU/UFL team double-headers at the Jack. Fans buy one ticket and see two games. The extra revenue from the UFL fans would be awesome. We would have to bowl in the stadium due to the increase in ticket sales right away. Win-win. Sell beer for the UFL portion and many ISU fans would make sure to stay.

To JP and the UFL - youre welcome.
Too much drinking.

For the record, Omaha qb is Jeff Garcia and Ahmad Green is the running back.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
Too much drinking.

For the record, Omaha qb is Jeff Garcia and Ahmad Green is the running back.

Huh? We are the tailgate capitol of the world. Many people want beer in the stadium and this would be a way to introduce it. Maybe not for the ISU part of the double header, but for the UFL part. Would keep folks from leaving early as well knowing that a pro game was on deck.

JP - anytimme man. You don't have to keep thanking me.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron