Moose on the loose in Iowa

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
"warns motorists to be on the look out for the moose because the animal is dark colored and "tough to spot."'

Yeah, I can see how a MOOSE would be tough to spot. :twitcy:

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
I'm gonna fight the urge to make a cougar joke in this thread, since I already did that in the bear thread, but I can't promise anything.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
No punch line....Saw the thread title and thought it kinda funny that I saw out of place wild life in an urban setting today. So I guess thats the punch line. :jimlad:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Moose on the loose in Iowa, but DNR says, 'Don't shoot it' - TwinCities.com

Cougars, bears, moose. Iowa is becoming a tourist spot for animals.

I saw a Moose swimming across the Des Moines River just south of the Saylorville
dam in 1983. I thought, " why is there a horse out there?" Since I had a spotting scope in the car we were able to see the big ears, long face and bulbous, down-drooping nose.

And Somebody in Iowa will shoot it because it was threatening them or their cat or some such (like the on the loose cougar and bear). Woe to be big and wild in Iowa: Iowans get scared and shoot.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
There was another Moose loose in Iowa in 1989 or 1990. He just started heading south from northern Minnesota and never stopped.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
I saw a Moose swimming across the Des Moines River just south of the Saylorville
dam in 1983. I thought, " why is there a horse out there?" Since I had a spotting scope in the car we were able to see the big ears, long face and bulbous, down-drooping nose.

And Somebody in Iowa will shoot it because it was threatening them or their cat or some such (like the on the loose cougar and bear). Woe to be big and wild in Iowa: Iowans get scared and shoot.

A DNR officer I know said that albino deer must be the meanest animals in Iowa because every one thats been shot has been charging. They say they get scared and shoot, but it's just an excuse to shoot an animal thats illegal to shoot.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
I saw a coyote today running down second ave S in Denison on my lunch break today. A friggen Coyote.

And the punch line?

wile-e-coyote-gravity.jpg

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
There was another Moose loose in Iowa in 1989 or 1990. He just started heading south from northern Minnesota and never stopped.

I'm guessing it was this one that I saw growing up. Although would have guessed a couple years later.

My dad came up stairs early one Saturday morning to wake my brother and I up. I remember thinking "what are you doing it's Saturday?" Then he said "there's a moose outside". I remember thinking "yeah like I'm going to fall for that".

He apparently had just had a similar conversation with our neighbor that came knocking on our door to tell us.

We went out and drove around watching it. It was pretty awesome. I remember it getting to the fence line in fields and just taking them in stride and not even needing to jump to clear them.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
We had a moose or elk loose in newton some 15 years ago I remember at the elementary/middle school! Thàts all I remember haha

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere

I was about 100 yards from that moose. It was in a field about three miles west of my parents house. It was spotted and a group went to walk through the standing corn just to see if they could get it out into an open field so we all could see it. You could see it's antler while it was laying in the corn. I was standing on a dirt road at the south end of the field when the moose came busting through about 100 yards away. Being 11 years old I crapped my pants and started running to my dads truck which was about 4-500 yards away. I was sure that thing was going to run me down. It is amazing how big those things are. It hopped into the combined bean field across the road and just kept on going. My folks have a hilarious picture of the moose standing in the dirt road looking in our direction and me in a dead sprint looking like I could start crying.

It was about a week later or so when it got shot in Underwood.

AnkenyClone

Jul 22, 2008
Ankeny
I heard a guy was combining in NW Iowa the other day and a bull Elk ran out of the field. There are a few people raising Elk in Iowa so I assume one just got out but that would be a little surprising to see.