Iows BCS Comments

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
You Can't Spell BCS Without CBS - CBSSports.com

I’ll keep the Arizona over Iowa watch going, although it seems to be a stalemate. 37 of 60 voters still have Iowa over Arizona. The worst offender is now Kirk Herbstreit who has BOTH Iowa highest at No. 6 and Arizona lowest at No. 21. I can understand why a voter might have the two teams ranked closely in either direction. After all, Arizona lost to Oregon State who just lost again on Saturday. So maybe the Wildcats should be ranked lower. However, Iowa hasn’t beaten a quality opponent yet, whereas Arizona beat…Iowa. So, to me, as long as they both have one loss, Arizona should be ranked over Iowa, and if you don’t think much of Arizona…why would you think more of Iowa? The Hawkeyes haven’t beaten a currently ranked team. Again, to add some objectivity, 4 of the 5 unbiased (meaning, not including Billingsley yet) computers rank Arizona better, which I also take into account. However, I put more emphasis on the head-to-head result because the computers don’t. Even so, they still generally think Arizona is a better team regardless of the head-to-head result.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
You rewatch that Arizona and tell me that Iowa wouldn't beat Arizona on a neutral field by at least 14 points if there was a rematch....Iowa is a far superior team to Arizona....Iowa just didn't show up in that game. Period.

Herbstreit probably at least knows that the Arizona was spotted 21 non offensive points in that game....I doubt the author of that article has any clue that happened.

Iowa spotted Arizona a 27-7 halftime lead and came back to tie the game in the 4th quarter....there aren't many teams that can overcome a 20 point halftime deficit and come back to tie the game in the 4th.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
You rewatch that Arizona and tell me that Iowa wouldn't beat Arizona on a neutral field by at least 14 points if there was a rematch....Iowa is a far superior team to Arizona....Iowa just didn't show up in that game. Period.

Herbstreit probably at least knows that the Arizona was spotted 21 non offensive points in that game....I doubt the author of that article has any clue that happened.

Iowa spotted Arizona a 27-7 halftime lead and came back to tie the game in the 4th quarter....there aren't many teams that can overcome a 20 point halftime deficit and come back to tie the game in the 4th.

Thats why they play the game. They don't just take your favorite teams best 2 quarters and count those.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007

This. Now we know why people outside this state think Iowans are big dummies.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines

So iowa willingly let arizona go up 20.....i'm no football coach, but that strategy is one, i wouldn't use......

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
So iowa willingly let arizona go up 20.....i'm no football coach, but that strategy is one, i wouldn't use......

No, Iowa made A LOT of un-Iowa-like mistakes. I don't know if it was the time change, the 9:00PM start time (CST), the heat, or the fact that it was the first away game.....the reality is, Iowa's players didn't show up to play.

If you think otherwise you are a fool. Sure, Arizona won, but the better football team doesn't always win the game. On September 18th, the better football team lost.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
Thats why they play the game. They don't just take your favorite teams best 2 quarters and count those.

You're right. I didn't say Iowa won the game. I said Iowa was the better team. I'm sure, by the end of the year, I'll be proven correct.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
No, Iowa made A LOT of un-Iowa-like mistakes. I don't know if it was the time change, the 9:00PM start time (CST), the heat, or the fact that it was the first away game.....the reality is, Iowa's players didn't show up to play.

If you think otherwise you are a fool. Sure, Arizona won, but the better football team doesn't always win the game. On September 18th, the better football team lost.

Typical hawkeye comment after a loss...the other team never wins the game, Iowa loses it. We hear this every time ISU beats Iowa. In a dumb@ss voice mocking Iowa fans, "Iowa wins that game 99 out of a 100 times"...well it's a darn good thing teams are able to catch Iowa on that 1 out of a 100. You'd think Iowa's record would be better over the last 10 years...they should only have 1 loss in their last 100. :confused:

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
Typical hawkeye comment after a loss...the other team never wins the game, Iowa loses it. We hear this every time ISU beats Iowa. In a dumb@ss voice mocking Iowa fans, "Iowa wins that game 99 out of a 100 times"...well it's a darn good thing teams are able to catch Iowa on that 1 out of a 100. You'd think Iowa's record would be better over the last 10 years...they should only have 1 loss in their last 100. :confused:

You make it sound like you hear it a lot, by my count you should have only heard this from Iowa fans twice in the last 8 games. :smile:

Last edited:

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009

:rolleyes::laugh:

This post makes me laugh.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Iowa St. was not better than Nebraska last year, but found a way to win. Sometimes games like this happen. Same thing with NW/IA last year, I don't know who would argue that NW was the better team last year, but found a way to win the game (I think losing our starting qb and giving NW 6 on the same play had something to do with it).
I am not saying that I know for sure that Iowa is better than Arizona, but from what I have seen, and what the majority of voters in the polls have seen, Iowa appears to be the better team, just had a difficult road game where they didn't come to play at the start.
I think if by some chance you would get a Az/Ia game in Pasadena the result would be different. But who knows?
And why is CBS not complaining about Alabama being ahead of South Carolina? Didn't they lose the head to head? Doesn't that mean that SC is better regardless? Selective outrage if you ask me, but I guess CBS needs SEC looking as good as possible.

LoewDog

Sep 7, 2010
I think Hawk fans would be ****** if the situation was reversed, actually know they would be as it has happened to us in the past.

I would rank Arizona ahead of the Hawks. Both teams have one loss and they beat us fair and square. Herbie is way off base. I could see something like AZ at #11 and Iowa at #12.

The only problem I have is with the "not beat a team currently ranked" argument. Two weeks ago we were looking at four straight weeks of playing a rated team...with PSU, UM, Wisky, MSU. We knocked two of them out of the top 25 by beating them and that is our fault?

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
I don't think Arizona should be ranked a head of Iowa, upsets happen, yes Arizona was better that night but as the year goes on people will realize Iowa is a better team.

Should ISU have been ranked #2 in 2002 when Iowa got up to #3, no, ISU was better on that Saturday but as the year went on it was proven that Iowa was the better team that just lost on that Saturday.

That is what the rankings are, not who was better a month ago, but who is better right now.

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008
Also why is this article even talking about the AP poll and BCS, the AP poll isn't a component of the BCS formula in the first place, it is the coaches poll. So yes Iowa has beaten a ranked team that is part of the BCS as Michigan was ranked #24 last week in the coaches poll and Arizona hasn't. I would think they could do a little better homework for an article like this.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
The old Iowa didn't lose they just gave away the game. Got it. Never heard that one before.