Modern Newtons, Einsteins

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Who are the Newtons and the Einsteins of our time? Or the Socrates, the Plato, ect.
I would put forth one of them as Stephen Hawking.

Last edited:
Reactions: kilgore_trout

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
there are arguably more now than there ever have been. bill gates

there are so many out there that you don't hear about. But think of all of the things that have been created recently.. I heard there were more things invented in the 1990's than in the history of the world combined. And everything is happening at a doubling rate anymore.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Who are the Newtons and the Einsteins of our time? Or the Socrates, the Plato, ect.
I would put forth one of them as Stephen Hawkings.

Yes Hawking for sure. Eckhart Tolle? He wrote the book "The Power of Now". Basically he illustrates that consciousness does not really need humans and is about done with us, Unless we morph or change. If not, consciousness will just find another form. In order for the human race to survive at this point it has to be aware of ego and it's addiction to form identity and how it controls thoughts and behavior. Really good stuff.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Depends on what you mean. Just in terms of intelligence or in terms of scientific contributions? Not that there aren't scientists or philanthropists anymore, but it seems they tend to take a back seat in todays culture for more societal issue leaders, like a Martin Luther King Jr., for example.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
First of all, I don't think there are any out there of the magnitude of Newton and Einstein right now. Newton's contributions to math, science, and physics are staggering, although he was also known for wrongly believing in alchemy.

Einstein innovated in so many areas as well, but interestingly failed in his greatest task, making a unified "theory of everything".

If we're talking strictly living physicists, I'd throw out there Michio Kaku, Brian Greene, and David Deutsch as guys that are pushing the boundaries of our knowledge of physics.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Some interesting answers.... the things those men did with the small amount of knowledge about the world they had has always amazed me.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
Einstein is the Einstein of our time. These guys don't come around that often and people forget that there are still people living who were alive and remember Einstein. He was alive in the 1940s after all.

Ghandi is also the Ghandi of our time, MLK, Jr. is the MLK, Jr. of our time. People of their magnitude only come around once every hundred plus years.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Another part of the issue is that many true innovators aren't comprehended in their own time. Their ideas and visions are so revolutionary that it can be many years before others are able to wrap their minds around them, or before science or mathematics can prove them. The truly brilliant minds of the last 10 years won't be defined for another 50.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
There are very few, because nowadays there parents would put them on ritalin or some other drug when they are a child because they are "different". Now they end up as accountants and engineers.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
There are very few, because nowadays there parents would put them on ritalin or some other drug when they are a child because they are "different". Now they end up as accountants and engineers.
So that's what happened to me...
:sad: