Iowa State - One of the most underachieving teams in BCS

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Hard to argue with that. The only thing I would argue with is that he said that it doesn't appear we are close to turning it around. He obviously hasn't seen who we have brought in since Fred showed up.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
NCAA basketball is a part of the BCS? Who knew.

Come on, you (should) know better than that - the "power conferences" in NCAA basketball for the most part are the football BCS conferences in NCAA football, thus why the BCS moniker carries over to basketball.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I actually read this as a compliment. They're clearly talking about teams that have been very good in recent memory but have fell off for some reason.

They're not bringing up Nebraska, Northwestern, Colorado, that have never been good.

They're also not bringing up average programs like Georgia that have no reason to not be good.

Also agree with the poster that said the forum probably doesn't realize the talent Hoiberg has already signed, if that's not an early sign things can turn around I don't know what is.

clonetil01

Nov 23, 2009
I actually read this as a compliment. They're clearly talking about teams that have been very good in recent memory but have fell off for some reason.

They're not bringing up Nebraska, Northwestern, Colorado, that have never been good.

They're also not bringing up average programs like Georgia that have no reason to not be good.

Also agree with the poster that said the forum probably doesn't realize the talent Hoiberg has already signed, if that's not an early sign things can turn around I don't know what is.

I agree and he also gives props to Hilton, and you don't hear that much anymore, rightfully so with how we have played there. I look forward to this year's team proving them wrong though.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I have to agree completely with the article. ISU had some really good players in and out the doors in the last 5 years and have almost nothing to show for it. Hopefully a lot of this was because GMac was not a good coach. One thing is for sure, there were a lot of very talented guys that decided to go play somewhere else before their eligibility ran out.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I agree, the fact that ISU was in the discussion is a plus. They expect us to be there and it is disappointing when the program isn't contending for the top. Now is the time to live up to those expectations.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
It should really give a clear indication that this job isn't nearly as bad as some of the "insiders" were telling us to defend their buddy Chewy.

I still remember Larry giving an interview where he said that Lute Olson told him that Iowa State was one of the top 35 jobs in college basketball.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
Come on, you (should) know better than that - the "power conferences" in NCAA basketball for the most part are the football BCS conferences in NCAA football, thus why the BCS moniker carries over to basketball.

The BCS has nothing to do with basketball. Actually it has nothing to do with the NCAA either, but hey don't let the facts get in the way.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Hard to argue with that. The only thing I would argue with is that he said that it doesn't appear we are close to turning it around. He obviously hasn't seen who we have brought in since Fred showed up.

Turning it around is really really premature. These guys have not played one game together.

Help Support Us

Become a patron