Ross Travis

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Listed as considering ISU on ESPN's recruiting services. I hadn't heard anything about him until right now, what do we know about him?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Listed as considering ISU on ESPN's recruiting services. I hadn't heard anything about him until right now, what do we know about him?

This was a guy McD was looking at. He plays the same position as Cook, and by most accounts is not nearly as talented, so my guess is the Cook commitment has him and us looking elsewhere. I don't think we pushed too hard, but Iowa fans are moribund about it.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Another knock in the stomach to the 3 Hawkeye basketball fans out there. Uthoff choosing Wisky and Travis choosing PSU. I know those 3 fans thought they had a good chance of landing both

Jun 14, 2010
Another knock in the stomach to the 3 Hawkeye basketball fans out there. Uthoff choosing Wisky and Travis choosing PSU. I know those 3 fans thought they had a good chance of landing both
As much as I would like to see them struggle, they will likely end up with Harris (a 4-star) and Oglesby (who may end up a 4-star and is Rivals Top 150).

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
As much as I would like to see them struggle, they will likely end up with Harris (a 4-star) and Oglesby (who may end up a 4-star and is Rivals Top 150).

Oglesby is a lesser Matt Gatens. Solid player but far from game changer. And I still need to see them actually sign anyone before I can give Fran kudos. So far he is much better than Alford and Lick without doing anything

dbqhawk

Dec 3, 2009

I was under the assumption that Uthoff was recruited pretty hard by Fred also. Is that not true? Most clones even assured us that because of family connections and Fred's ability to land any Iowa kid he was wanted, he was close to a slam dunk for the clones. I am not worried about Iowa's recruiting. FM is a good recruiter, has a staff filled with experience and recruiting ability. We will get the recruits.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I was under the assumption that Uthoff was recruited pretty hard by Fred also. Is that not true? Most clones even assured us that because of family connections and Fred's ability to land any Iowa kid he was wanted, he was close to a slam dunk for the clones. I am not worried about Iowa's recruiting. FM is a good recruiter, has a staff filled with experience and recruiting ability. We will get the recruits.

I'm not sure if he was or wasn't. But us losing out on Uthoff wasn't a big blow when we got verbals from all the players after him. Iowa is still sitting on nothing for 2011. It is going to start getting pretty thin for players soon.

dbqhawk

Dec 3, 2009
Oglesby is a lesser Matt Gatens. Solid player but far from game changer. And I still need to see them actually sign anyone before I can give Fran kudos. So far he is much better than Alford and Lick without doing anything

So far FM has signed two players. Basabe & Cartwright. Neither are game changers but has Fred signed any game changers yet. Having said that I think Basabe has a chance to be very good player

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
So far FM has signed two players. Basabe & Cartwright. Neither are game changers but has Fred signed any game changers yet. Having said that I think Basabe has a chance to be very good player

Royce White?
Chris Allen?
Anthony Booker?
Sledge?

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006

Harris is visiting Louisville in November - good luck to the hawks.

Jun 14, 2010
Allen and White should be instant game changers and the JuCo will have an impact. Sledge, Cook, Godfrey, and perhaps McKnight should be "very good players".
Basabe looked a year away in the scrimmage before the ISU game imo.

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009

no I think our recruiting needs to improve a whole bunch to get to the level we want, no top100 kids in this class, lost Uthoff. I don't look at transfers as big recruiting coups because at the time what teams have openings or are willing to take on the baggage transfers bring.

I don't see iowa getting Tyler Harris, especially now that Louisville has offered. Both Tyler and Tobias Harris played with Tavon Sledge last year BTW.

We never offered Ogelsby and we had Ross Travis in at our camp this summer.

Last edited:

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK

Fred did want him. I think we probably had a better shot if we had kept McD, because of a standing relationship. Fred was late to the game, and late with an offer, similar to the boat Iowa's staff was in. The upheaval and program weakness of both played right into him leaving the state, and he is a great fit in Wisconsin.

How do we know how good a recruiter Fran is, though? He never got 5 star talent to Siena( I am not holding this against him). He has no track record of getting top level talent at the high major level yet. The verdict is out on him.

From what Tavon Sledge said about his reasons for coming to ISU(the character of Fred), I feel good about ISU recruiting in the future. Fred brought in immediate proven help in the form of transfers, and is actively recruiting key college positions(ie PG) better than McD did.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Basabe commited to Sienna first. Not sure I would want to pull Sienna recruits to try and challenge in the big 10. I always had that problem with Gmac.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Fred wanted him, didn't get him, and has actually gotten quite a few commitments since then. Fran has no commitments.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
no I think our recruiting needs to improve a whole bunch to get to the level we want, no top100 kids in this class, lost Uthoff. I don't look at transfers as big recruiting coups because at the time what teams have openings or are willing to take on the baggage transfers bring.

I don't see iowa getting Tyler Harris, especially now that Louisville has offered. Both Tyler and Tobias Harris played with Tavon Sledge last year BTW.

We never offered Ogelsby and we had Ross Travis in at our camp this summer.

If you don't want to count very talented transfers in your equation then so be it. They will be playing at ISU so they count in my book.