Random Beer Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
I just put down a Newcastle Brown Ale and a Sam Adams Black Lager for the first time. I enjoyed the Sam Adams much better then the brown ale, but maybe thats because i'm just a bigger fan of dark beers and like that chocolate and coffee taste. The Black Lager opened my eyes a bit though. Sam Adams makes some great beer. Ever had any of these? I'm sure alot of you have tryed Newcastle.

Last edited:

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Does Sam Adams make any good wheat beers? I'm a fan of wheat beer, especially some Boulevard Wheat.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I like the Sam Adams Black. Good beer. I also am not necessarily a fan of Newcastle. To each his own, but Sam Adams has quite a few good brews out there. Summer Ale is awesome, as is Cherry Wheat. Those are my go-to picks (along with Leinie's Summer Shandy when I can get it!).

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
If you liked the Newcastle, you may enjoy Old Speckled Hen. About $13 for a sixer, but good stuff.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Sam Adams Coastal Wheat is my favorite of theirs. I'm sure you can find better wheat beers out there though.

I really enjoyed the Coastal Wheat...but there Summer Ale is very good too! And the Cherry Wheat...wait...I might be able to say that about every Sam Adams beer I have tried!

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
We've been told to try Schell's Oktoberfest. Anyone had it this year?

cycoOJfan89

Oct 20, 2009
Ames/Cedar Rapids
I just put down a Newcastle Brown Ale and a Sam Adams Black Lager for the first time. I enjoyed the Sam Adams much better then the brown ale, but maybe thats because i'm just a bigger fan of dark beers and like that chocolate and coffee taste. The Black Lager opened my eyes a bit though. Sam Adams makes some great beer. Ever had any of these? I'm sure alot of you have tryed Newcastle.

Sam Adams may just be my favorite brewery. Most beer they make is legit, except for their Cherry Wheat...

Most people I've talked to don't like Sam Adams and they are very underrated! They do however win international awards to back themselves up, but Americans can't even enjoy a "real" beer that is made in America. When I have Sam Adams Brown Ale and I offer it to a friend and they respond "naw, I'll take a Keystone" it worries me about our beer knowledge. My generation has been ruined for beer drinkers, most of my friends prefer Lite beer over any other beer and I, myself, don't even consider Lite beer, beer at all (because it isn't).

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
Sam Adams may just be my favorite brewery. Most beer they make is legit, except for their Cherry Wheat...

Most people I've talked to don't like Sam Adams and they are very underrated! They do however win international awards to back themselves up, but Americans can't even enjoy a "real" beer that is made in America. When I have Sam Adams Brown Ale and I offer it to a friend and they respond "naw, I'll take a Keystone" it worries me about our beer knowledge. My generation has been ruined for beer drinkers, most of my friends prefer Lite beer over any other beer and I, myself, don't even consider Lite beer, beer at all (because it isn't).

It worries you? Seems a little bit dramatic..

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
I did a little comparison this weekend between Leinenkugel's Octoberfest and Sam Adams Octoberfest. Leinenkugel's won hands down which kind of surprised me. It was actually the first time I'd had Leinie's Octoberfest and it was fantastic. Of the four people that did "the challenge", all four picked Leinie's.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Had Shiner and Bell's Oktoberfests last night. Liked 'em both. It's been awhile since I've had Sam Adams Oktoberfest, but I think I liked it. A buddy of mine came down from Minneapolis for the UNI game and brought some Surly Oktoberfest. That was awesome. I really wish they'd sell it in Iowa, or anywhere outside of Minnesota.

(waiting for isu20023 to call me a beer snob and accuse me of talking down to people who drink different things)

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
What will the important people be drinking at the Beer summit in Des Moines tonight?

Lloyd88

Jun 5, 2008
Waterloo, Iowa
I did a little comparison this weekend between Leinenkugel's Octoberfest and Sam Adams Octoberfest. Leinenkugel's won hands down which kind of surprised me. It was actually the first time I'd had Leinie's Octoberfest and it was fantastic. Of the four people that did "the challenge", all four picked Leinie's.

I agree, Leinie's Oktoberfest is the best I've tasted. Millstream is very good as well.