ESPN has Elgin Cook ranked 78th now

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
He'll be a game changer in an uptempo system from what I've read. Super excited for him and Odunsi in 2011 and beyond.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Love the athletic ability. Though I haven't seen Hoiberg coach a single game, I am really getting the impression that our style of play is going to be drastically different than it has been over the last several years! I'm really looking forward to seeing how the next few years go for ISU hoops.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
Wish we could jump ahead to 2011!!
Are you building a time machine anytime soon? I have neither the time, nor the inclination to do so, but I understand your excitement for next season. Your patience will be rewarded, Grasshopper. :wink:

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Love the athletic ability. Though I haven't seen Hoiberg coach a single game, I am really getting the impression that our style of play is going to be drastically different than it has been over the last several years! I'm really looking forward to seeing how the next few years go for ISU hoops.

The style of play HAS to be drastically different because if it isn't, in a few years we wouldn't sell out a junior high gym.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
The style of play HAS to be drastically different because if it isn't, in a few years we wouldn't sell out a junior high gym.

Style of play has nothing to do with how many people come to games. Winning does.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Playing an exciting style can help a little bit, but ultimately yes, winning does make a big difference. If you go 15-15 but score 100 PPG people get a little more excited about that.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
They do? Good basketball is good basketball, and vice versa. If you noticed this year in the NCAA tournament, I believe 15/16 Sweet 16 teams ran a slow it down style, of sorts.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Style of play has nothing to do with how many people come to games. Winning does.

Winning is reason A and B why people come to games but if you don't think that style of play is a factor then you are wrong. Assuming equal records for each style of play. Especially when a program is trying to win back fans...like an Iowa, or ISU if we hadn't gotten Freddy.

People's entertainment dollars are pretty thin right now.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Duke-Butler was a horrible game. Close pretty much all the way with next to no excitement. The only way for it to have been memorable was to have Butler's half-court heave, go in.

Last year's NCAA tournament in general=YUCK

Attendance for that crap will continue downward.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Duke-Butler was a horrible game. Close pretty much all the way with next to no excitement. The only way for it to have been memorable was to have Butler's half-court heave, go in.

Last year's NCAA tournament in general=YUCK

Attendance for that crap will continue downward.
Horrible game? That was a well played game with extremely good defense. You sir, have no clue what you're talking about.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
They do? Good basketball is good basketball, and vice versa. If you noticed this year in the NCAA tournament, I believe 15/16 Sweet 16 teams ran a slow it down style, of sorts.

I tend to agree. You must play whatever works to your strengths. I have seen some horrendous up tempo basketball.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
I tend to agree. You must play whatever works to your strengths. I have seen some horrendous up tempo basketball.
And up tempo isn't necessarily bad, but to say it is the most exciting for fans is something I find hard to believe. Would you rather have watched Arizona last year (Somewhat up-tempo, not very good) or Butler (Run occasionally, but mostly sets/half court offense)?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Are you building a time machine anytime soon? I have neither the time, nor the inclination to do so, but I understand your excitement for next season. Your patience will be rewarded, Grasshopper. :wink:

Here you go...

urtimemachine.jpg

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Horrible game? That was a well played game with extremely good defense. You sir, have no clue what you're talking about.

It WAS a horrible game that nobody would ever remember if it wasn't for the national championship. Butler shot below 35% and it wasn't because of defense. It was quite a bad game except for the fact that it was David vs. Goliath. Butler's best players played like dogcrap.

All this being said, I enjoy watching Butler play ball. Just not that game.

Last edited:

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Close pretty much all the way with next to no excitement.

Huh, and here I was thinking that close games ARE exciting because they are close all the way.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Close pretty much all the way with next to no excitement.

Huh, and here I was thinking that close games ARE exciting because they are close all the way.

Iowa played in quite a few close games under Lick. I'll let you decide how exciting they were.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron