MLB: Fredi Gonzalez Next Cubs Manager?

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Whoa, whoa, whoa!

You hire the new GM first.... then hire the new Manager.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Whoa, whoa, whoa!

You hire the new GM first.... then hire the new Manager.

463px-Symbol_thumbs_up.svg.png
chuckd4735 likes this!

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
I'm betting fredi gets hired by the braves. He has good relationships ther with the ATL front office, was a disciple of Bobby Cox, and he lives in the Atlanta area.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Curious as to why you think that?

What makes you think he is qualified to be the next Cubs manager? Other than being a Cubs legend. Sorry but I don't think he would make a good manager plus he would be next to impossible to fire if things went bad. Bart Starr was the head coach for the Packers for 7 seasons because they didn't know how to fire him.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
What makes you think he is qualified to be the next Cubs manager? Other than being a Cubs legend. Sorry but I don't think he would make a good manager plus he would be next to impossible to fire if things went bad. Bart Starr was the head coach for the Packers for 7 seasons because they didn't know how to fire him.

Well he has had success at Iowa and Peoria, so I see more things that show me he is qualified as opposed to not being qualified.

I'm assuming you are 100% against the Hoiberg hire if you wouldn't like a Sandberg hire?

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Well he has had success at Iowa and Peoria, so I see more things that show me he is qualified as opposed to not being qualified.

I'm assuming you are 100% against the Hoiberg hire if you wouldn't like a Sandberg hire?

At the time I was but the Cubs job is probably the most difficult job in all of baseball. Can't really say the same about the ISU job. And I could really care less how his minor league teams do, that doesn't say anything as to how good of a manager he will be. Joe Torre is an pretty bad manager but won a ton of games because of the talent the Yankees had.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
At the time I was but the Cubs job is probably the most difficult job in all of baseball. Can't really say the same about the ISU job. And I could really care less how his minor league teams do, that doesn't say anything as to how good of a manager he will be. Joe Torre is an pretty bad manager but won a ton of games because of the talent the Yankees had.

Based on the Joe Torre analogy, if there is lesser talent in the minors, and Sandberg has been successful, you would think he would be even more successful the majors, right?

Reactions: Psyclone Brian

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

But it says how bad of a manager he will be?

I think I'd rather see Girardi as the Cubs skip. But I don't really see much that says Ryno is an automatic failure waiting to happen

Edit: And if the Cubs are the toughest job in MLB (not sure I'd necessarily disagree, mind you) .... wouldn't it make sense to bring in a manager who's won through the ranks and is a hall of famer for that very same club? Seems to me that arguement suggests you bring in somebody intimately involved with the organization. Bringing in outsiders for the past hundred-some years hasn't really done much.

Last edited:

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Based on the Joe Torre analogy, if there is lesser talent in the minors, and Sandberg has been successful, you would think he would be even more successful the majors, right?

What? You realize other teams have more talent in the majors too, right?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
What? You realize other teams have more talent in the majors too, right?

OMG THEY DO???

Yes I realize that, I'm not stupid. The guy claimed Joe Torre was a horrible manager and the only reason he was successful is because he had talent.

Now look at Sandberg. He has been successful with minor league talent, so if having talent makes you a better manager, wouldn't being promoted to the Majors ensure that a manager at the minor league level, who has been successful, would be successful in the majors, where there is more talent?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
OMG THEY DO???

Yes I realize that, I'm not stupid. The guy claimed Joe Torre was a horrible manager and the only reason he was successful is because he had talent.

Now look at Sandberg. He has been successful with minor league talent, so if having talent makes you a better manager, wouldn't being promoted to the Majors ensure that a manager at the minor league level, who has been successful, would be successful in the majors, where there is more talent?

No, not at all. His point was the Yankees had superior talent to that of their opponents, which is why they won so many games, not because of Torre. The fact that he would have more talent moving to the majors is obvious, but the talent level of every other team goes up as well so his team's talent level compared to their opponents won't be higher.

I disagree with the statement that Torre was a bad manager, but I also think the impact that a manager has on a team is greatly over exaggerated. This isn't football or basketball where a great coach can make a huge difference. Even the best baseball managers are only worth a win or two a year.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

I don't understand this post. I would contend 'consistently' winning at the minor league level does say something about someones ability to manage a team.

That said, I think Sandberg is one year away from being ready. Unfortunately time is not a luxury the Cubs have if they want him to take the reigns at some point. If he's not the manager at the start of next season, I think we will see him managing someplace else before this time next year.

I agree with Erik...I would be shocked if Ryno is not named.

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
OMG THEY DO???

I have to agree with you here... Nobody knows the Cubs minor league system better than Ryno right now. In fact, I don't know to many major leaguers that didn't come up playing through the minors. To have success coaching in the minors before skippin' on up to the majors sounds like fundemental job experience to me. I just think there is more to managing a major league team than sticking a body in there and making pitching changes. Absolutely, his career certainly has structured his judgement and knowledge of the game, but I believe it's huge to know who your staff is in the minors, in the event you need to replace a player, or if your major league star needs some rehab. I totally feel comfortable with Ryno in there.

pikecy10

Jun 14, 2010
Kansas City

I couldn't disagree with you more. If you look at the last 6 managers (Pinella, Baker, Baylor, Riggelman, LeFabver, and Zimmer) none had any history with the Cubs that would make them want this job any more then a manager looking to get paid. As the ISU Football Coaches over the last few years have taught us, a manager that wants to be there is a heck of a lot better then the "big name" or "sexy" candidate that has no reason to go to your school or team.

I would put my list of managers I would like to see as:
1) Ryno - my all time favorite Cub, has managed well over 1/2 of the cubs current roster at some level of minor league ball and would do anything to win with the Cubs
2)Girardi - hes proven he can win, and also loves/loved the cubs and could be a manager that wants to be with the club for a while
3)Mike Quade - the work he has done for the last 2 decades in baseball, as well as with the cubs minor league system mean he is going to get a big league job sooner rather then later and if its not with the cubs look for the marlins or royals or some other mediocre at best franchise to give him his first big league chance (outside of his temp jobs with the cubs)
4)Me - Although I have no professional baseball experience, can I really be any worse then the rest of the managers they have had over the years. Plus I'll work for 1/5th or even less then any of these guys would want to get paid! :jimlad:

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I couldn't disagree with you more. If you look at the last 6 managers (Pinella, Baker, Baylor, Riggelman, LeFabver, and Zimmer) none had any history with the Cubs that would make them want this job any more then a manager looking to get paid. As the ISU Football Coaches over the last few years have taught us, a manager that wants to be there is a heck of a lot better then the "big name" or "sexy" candidate that has no reason to go to your school or team.

I would put my list of managers I would like to see as:
1) Ryno - my all time favorite Cub, has managed well over 1/2 of the cubs current roster at some level of minor league ball and would do anything to win with the Cubs
2)Girardi - hes proven he can win, and also loves/loved the cubs and could be a manager that wants to be with the club for a while
3)Mike Quade - the work he has done for the last 2 decades in baseball, as well as with the cubs minor league system mean he is going to get a big league job sooner rather then later and if its not with the cubs look for the marlins or royals or some other mediocre at best franchise to give him his first big league chance (outside of his temp jobs with the cubs)
4)Me - Although I have no professional baseball experience, can I really be any worse then the rest of the managers they have had over the years. Plus I'll work for 1/5th or even less then any of these guys would want to get paid! :jimlad:

Do any of you guys who want Sandberg to be manager actually know his managerial style? The guy loves bunting, he loves guys that ground out to move the runner from second to third, he likes to run with guys who aren't good base stealers. He gives away outs like crazy. He's also never been on a major league coaching staff as a base coach or hitting coach or anything. It's one thing to manage 18-22 year olds who are just trying to make it to the majors, it's a whole other situation when you're dealing with grown men who are multi-millionaires, they might be as receptive to some of his coaching advice.