Walters: ISU hires McRoy

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Sounds like he's the guy Fred wanted so I'm sure he's going to be a great addition to the staff. Welcome coach McRoy.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Hopefully we get BJ Young and his JUCO connections aren't needed for another year.

Seriously though, sounds exactly like who we wanted. Wasn't D. Robinson from Arkansas State too? Talk about raiding that program.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
Hopefully we get BJ Young and his JUCO connections aren't needed for another year.

Seriously though, sounds exactly like who we wanted. Wasn't D. Robinson from Arkansas State too? Talk about raiding that program.

DR was from UALR (University of Arkansas-Little Rock), same conference, just different schools.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Color me less than excited about an assistant whose #1 tag-line skill is his JuCo connections.

I'm not a fan of using JuCo players for more than a (very) occasional stop-gap. Even Gilstrap, although he was better than the typical JuCo kid, did very, very little for us as a program.

Admittedly, I don't know much about McRoy, but at first glance, I think Hoiberg could have done better here.

cysocool

Jul 12, 2010
Color me less than excited about an assistant whose #1 tag-line skill is his JuCo connections.

I'm not a fan of using JuCo players for more than a (very) occasional stop-gap. Even Gilstrap, although he was better than the typical JuCo kid, did very, very little for us as a program.

Admittedly, I don't know much about McRoy, but at first glance, I think Hoiberg could have done better here.

I can think of a few JuCo player's that have impacted our program in a very positive way. .. I hope he can bring in one or two talanted players from the JC's every year. Sure he'll recruit qualifiers to. Very Good Hire! :smile:

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC

So you barely know anything about the guy, yet you're about to throw him under the bus? Okay...congratulations on being illogical.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Successful Iowa State teams always have JC players playing prominent roles. The best years in ISU history featured a backcourt of all JCs... Tinsley, Nurse, and Horton. Many of Floyd and Eustachy's top teams were JC heavy. We will always have the need for a good JC or two at ISU.

Using Gilstrap as an example is just silly, he did everything he personally could for us as a program, he led the freaking Big 12 in rebounding! He was a stud JC player, and any coach would be happy to add a JC recruit of his caliber to their team. What a terrible example.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
So you barely know anything about the guy, yet you're about to throw him under the bus? Okay...congratulations on being illogical.

While, I personally tend to "trust the ISU program" on their hires, I can see the point that Kucyclone is making. This is a message board, remember, fans are welcome to voice their opinions and disagree with the majority opinion.
Also, I actually don't think he was throwing the new coach under the bus or being illogical/irrational. He was stating his opinion. And I, too, hope we don't RELY on JuCo talent. Yet, I know that they definitely can provide some major help at times!

Reactions: kucyclone

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle

I mean, was there not any coaches out there, at a not-even-a-top-200 program, like Arkansas State, that had good prep connections?

Are you saying that there was no better coach out there that we could have hired than a guy at a not-top-200 school whose best skill is his JuCo connections? If so, we disagree.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I mean, was there not any coaches out there, at a not-even-a-top-200 program, like Arkansas State, that had good prep connections?

Are you saying that there was no better coach out there that we could have hired than a guy at a not-top-200 school whose best skill is his JuCo connections? If so, we disagree.

Are you saying that you know that Coach McRoy does NOT have good prep connections?

I'm also wondering where you get this asinine idea that his only "skill" is Juco connections?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

He coached at pretty much every JC in the midwest before Arkansas State. JC coaches have connections to high schools and prep schools as well where they also recruit from.

Great connections to recruits is the name of the game and 95% of the job for assistant basketball coaches.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron