Johnny's at Hilton Coliseum

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Iowa State To Honor Johnny Orr - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

Please, please, please.... stop messing around and put his name on the damn floor.

One of the most popular and successful coaches in Iowa State Athletics history will be permanently honored beginning this winter when "Johnny's" - a large sports bar-themed gathering area for donors - will open its doors at Hilton Coliseum.

Wonder how big of a donor you have to be to get in there?

Last edited:

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere

Agreed. Was thinking the same thing. My aunt is very good friends with one of his daughters and she said Orr Floor was already in the works and was happening. I will see her again in the next month so I will have to ask her if this is taking place of the floor.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
And i hope this doesnt mean the end of Stage Door, replacing it with this... as this would be too small for the crowds that has..

Besides, not everyone who goes to Stage Door also goes to the game, meaning you don't have to have a ticket to get in.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
What's with all of these statue's? It seems like every athlete in Chicago is getting them and now Johnny. Before we know it, all of America will be filled with statue's.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
Agreed. Was thinking the same thing. My aunt is very good friends with one of his daughters and she said Orr Floor was already in the works and was happening. I will see her again in the next month so I will have to ask her if this is taking place of the floor.

Why would we call it Johnny Orr floor, when Pioneer pays us to have their name on the floor?

This club section has been in the works for over a year now.

Someone said there are too many statues, well there is beginning to be waay too much writing on college basketball floors.

Reactions: SC Cy

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
Weak. I always hated how the retired jerseys were on one end of Hilton. You had to come in there or go out of your way to see them. The statue is going to be the same way.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
Why would we call it Johnny Orr floor, when Pioneer pays us to have their name on the floor?

Someone said there are too many statues, well there is beginning to be waay too much writing on college basketball floors.

Hmmm. Marketing degree. Lives in Johnston. Defending Pioneer. Makes me wonder......:wink:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
What's with all of these statue's? It seems like every athlete in Chicago is getting them and now Johnny. Before we know it, all of America will be filled with statue's.

Johnny deserves one. I'm absolutely thrilled that they went this route. If it bugs you that much, go ahead and tear down everyone else's statue, but leave Johnny's up.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I think this is a good start for sure. It's better than the nothing that has happened the past few years. The statue should be pretty darn cool.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

I suppose I never saw Pioneer's logo and somehow naming the floor after Johnny as mutually exclusive issues. I guess I never realized it was "Pioneer floor at Hilton Coliseum"

I'm going to preface this by saying I love JP and he's done some fantastic things at ISU.

But this is coming off as cheap and yet another money grab. "We're honoring coach Orr by naming something after him we've been planning for a while. Oh, and you have to be a donor (likely a relatively large one) to enjoy it."

This doesn't translate to the average fan well at all, IMO.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Johnny deserves one. I'm absolutely thrilled that they went this route. If it bugs you that much, go ahead and tear down everyone else's statue, but leave Johnny's up.

Uh, I never said it bugs me. I was just saying it seems like everyone is getting a statue.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
Please, stop with the name on the court. There is already too much clutter on basketball courts with advertisements, etc. Statue's allow fans to take their picture next to it. Generations will stop and read the plaque. I went to Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City and my wife had her picture taken by the Frank White statue even though she knew nothing about him. She read the bio under the statue and now has an appreciation for him.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This makes perfect sense. Bring in a revenue generator (a bar and grill) that caters mostly to revenue generators (boosters) while saving the possibility of the creation of another revenue generator (corporate sponsorship of the floor). Makes sense to mee.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Seems like if they were going to roll out Orr Floor this would be the perfect time to do it, since I'd imagine they're replacing the floor after the flooding.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron