Northern Illinois releases depth chart

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Here's to hoping they put their freshman out their and that the D-line can show him what getting sacked feels like.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Since he transferred from ISU, I'm not sure if there was a clause or if its his choice, on whether or not he plays against ISU in the future after he transfers to a future opponent.

Somebody who actually knows can correct what I just said if it wasn't 100% accurate.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
Based off of the pre-season mags, not a lot of surprises. The QB battle is intriguing. I imagine we'll see Grady and Harnish. Should be an interesting match up as NIU has a good amount of seniors on defense and returns a decent RB. NIU is a much better team than Kent St. was the previous three seasons and Toledo was from '06 & '07.

I still like the match up for us, but this could be a slug it out affair that won't be won until the 4th quarter.

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I thought Harnish played pretty well last year. I'm legitimately surprised to see a battle at that position.

I'm nervous about this match up, but I feel better whenever I look at what happened when they played a decent team. They got whipped.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
I thought Harnish played pretty well last year. I'm legitimately surprised to see a battle at that position.

I'm nervous about this match up, but I feel better whenever I look at what happened when they played a decent team. They got whipped.

They did beat Purdue though, and IMO, the Boilers underachieved last year. That being said, Purdue wasn't an easy win. They nearly knocked off Oregon and they gave Ohio St. their only B11 loss. NIU didn't beat anyone with a pulse after that, but that victory over Purdue holds a little weight.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
You know one thing conspicuously missing? The annoying smack-talking poster that we seem to get here every late summer. I hadn't even thought about it, but we have not seen hardly any NIU posters. Guess we should be counting our blessings...lakebison was annoying at times.

About the depth chart, no heights and weights? What kind of operation are they running?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Since he transferred from ISU, I'm not sure if there was a clause or if its his choice, on whether or not he plays against ISU in the future after he transfers to a future opponent.

Somebody who actually knows can correct what I just said if it wasn't 100% accurate.

There's no rule anywhere that you can't play against a team you transfered from.

There are also no rules against Giraffes playing football.

clone26

Jan 30, 2009
DSM
www.explorethemetro.com

I know of 2 examples of players transferring from ISU and playing against us.

Joe Conklin transfered from ISU to Iowa and I believe he played against us last year. I know a few years back RB Brian Thompson transfered from ISU to Illinois State and he started at RB for them against us.

Also, what about Haluska in hoops?

And to say the player has a choice, why wouldn't Cameron Bell want to play against us?

RedBlooded

Jun 11, 2010
cedar falls

Joe Conklin transfered from ISU to Iowa and I believe he played against us last year. I know a few years back RB Brian Thompson transfered from ISU to Illinois State and he started at RB for them against us.

And to say the player has a choice, why wouldn't Cameron Bell want to play against us?

Maybe the kid doesn't want to be in a awkward position.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
You know one thing conspicuously missing? The annoying smack-talking poster that we seem to get here every late summer. I hadn't even thought about it, but we have not seen hardly any NIU posters. Guess we should be counting our blessings...lakebison was annoying at times.

About the depth chart, no heights and weights? What kind of operation are they running?

The internet hasn't yet hit Dekalb.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
There's no rule anywhere that you can't play against a team you transfered from.

Ok, well then obviously it was his choice not to play against us. Why did he decide that? I don't know, but I bet you can send him an email and ask.
But, it has been known for awhile that he wasn't going to play against ISU.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
They did beat Purdue though, and IMO, the Boilers underachieved last year. That being said, Purdue wasn't an easy win. They nearly knocked off Oregon and they gave Ohio St. their only B11 loss. NIU didn't beat anyone with a pulse after that, but that victory over Purdue holds a little weight.

They looked helpless against USF. Granted, USF is an extremely talented squad, but they've also had a hard time putting it altogether at times.

Regardless, USF's strength wasn't a dominating defense, and they smothered NIU.

I'm not trying to pad my confidence level, just be as realistic as possible. We SHOULD win this comfortably. Keep in mind "should" and "will" are not the same thing.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL

And I'm not positive, but don't some teams/conferences not allow you to transfer within the conference or against future opponents? Obviously, it has happened before, but maybe some coaches or schools don't like having players transfer to a future opponents school, and if you do, you can't play in that game? I don't know.

And Judoka, there's no way a Giraffe could pass the classes and stay academically eligible. So, no, they couldn't play football.

Last edited: