NFL: This will likely be a big story

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I can't say I disagree that Childress is an idiot when it comes to running an offense...I mean, the guy LIKES Tarvaris Jackson.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
That article is only rivaled by some of the crap I see in the DMR.

I'm am a Vikings fan, but I am not a Childress fan. However, that article was ridiculous. Obviously, I may be wrong, but some of that stuff just seemed made-up.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
I'm just a casual observe of the NFL as I really don't have a favorite NFL team. But there is one thing that boggle my mind. How is there no respect for Coach Brad Childress? The guy starts coaching the Vikings in 2006 and improves in the win column every yea but it seems like he is on some sort of hot seat. Coach Chilly has a 36-28 record in the regular season and has advanced to the playoffs in last 2 years but it seems like he is a scapegoat to everyone. What gives?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'm just a casual observe of the NFL as I really don't have a favorite NFL team. But there is one thing that boggle my mind. How is there no respect for Coach Brad Childress? The guy starts coaching the Vikings in 2006 and improves in the win column every yea but it seems like he is on some sort of hot seat. Coach Chilly has a 36-28 record in the regular season and has advanced to the playoffs in last 2 years but it seems like he is a scapegoat to everyone. What gives?
Know how Iowa wins in spite of Ken O'Keefe? Same story here. The Vikings win in spite of Brad Childress.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
I just can't get over how the "head coach" goes down to talk to one player at his house in Mississippi to try to beg and convince him to come back. He fails, so he sends three players that are Favre's "best friends on the team" to go down and beg him to come back. It just seems like most normal head coaches would say enough is enough and let it go. I realize the Vikings have a much better shot of winning and doing big things this year when Favre is the QB but at what cost? I would think this has to be losing Childress some points in the locker room with the other 52 players. I just don't see how letting a 40 yr old drama queen basically run your team is a good thing.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
I just can't get over how the "head coach" goes down to talk to one player at his house in Mississippi to try to beg and convince him to come back. He fails, so he sends three players that are Favre's "best friends on the team" to go down and beg him to come back. It just seems like most normal head coaches would say enough is enough and let it go. I realize the Vikings have a much better shot of winning and doing big things this year when Favre is the QB but at what cost? I would think this has to be losing Childress some points in the locker room with the other 52 players. I just don't see how letting a 40 yr old drama queen basically run your team is a good thing.

It's pretty obvious the players love him and he loves his teammates, otherwise he would be fishing in Mississippi right now.

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
My girlfriend's family are huge Vikings fans and they all hate Childress, and me and her went to last years Vikes-Ravens game and it was funny to hear everyone in the dome moaning and groaning at Childress' moronic coaching strategies. It doesn't surprise me that his players don't respect him when the fan base doesn't either. Hopefully Childress knows the four year extension he signed last year was solely because of Favre's play, because all the fans know it.

By the way, as a Packer fan, I really am thankful my team isn't plastered all over Sportscenter like the Vikings or Jets, it's nice to have some go-about-your-business-quietly consistency in the franchise.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I don't understand the comment about Childress not knowing the offense - it's a variation of the offense that he created and brought from Philly.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I always get blasted for saying Childress is an awful coach and I hate Favre. It's nice that we can see eye to eye on something.
Childress has managed to make the Vikings the biggest joke in the NFL after coming off a great season. What I wonder is, where do the Vikings sit after Favre is gone? After all the damage is done to the team's cred?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
If what is in that article is actually true, those players complaining about Childress' lack of FB savvy and poor play calling on offense should go to NFL.com and check the stats from last year. The Vikings offense was fifth in total yards and 2nd in scoring. Hey dudes, it could get alot worse!

The way that article was written, you'd think these guys were playing for Mike Tice, in whose final year as coach, Minnesota was 25th in total yards and 25th in scoring. Would you Childress-haters like to go back to those days?

I'm sure Childress could do better..all coaches can. And it's sometimes appears that he is not the most personable coach. I don't have any great love for him as coach. But to call him an idiot or a moron just makes the ones doing so look foolish, player and fan alike. Put your emotions away and look at the stats/results.

In short, even as Minnesota’s best hope to win a Super Bowl this season was rejoining the team,

If, as that quote implies, Brett Favre is the Vikes best chance for a superbowl, why is the guy ragging on Childress for doing whatever he can to get the Vikes best chance for a superbowl back on the team?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I've never liked Childress. Once Favre is gone and people remember how awful Tarvaris (LEARN TO USE SOME FREAKING ARC IN YOUR PASSES!!) is, then I hope the team dismantles and gets a new coach.

Trent Dilfer was pretty blunt about no one liking Childress on Rome yesterday.

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
Personally, with the talent we have at a lot of positions, with a capable coach, I think the Vikes would have at least made it to a Superbowl by now.

Instead, the guy who "supposedly" brought up Donavon, can't seem to get his QB on track, and for whatever reason, the Vikings organization makes no effort to bring in any highly touted QBs from the college level.

Not saying that guys like Sanchez or Clausen, etc would have been the guys to lead us to a Superbowl, but at least pretend to look for young talent to build up. Really hope Joe Webb from UAB (originally brought in for WR, I think) lives up to his QB hype as seen on his Wikipedia page. :skeptical:

With one of the better defenses in the league, good WRs/TEs, one of the best RBs in the game... is it a surprise we just needed to an experienced QB to lead the team to the NFC championship game? I feel uneasy about Favre, because I hated him for so long when he was with the Packers, but more than anything, I think he brought the leadership that apparently Childress and T.Jack haven't.

Help Support Us

Become a patron