Can you save a computer with a virus?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

KCy

Jul 20, 2008
Kansas City
My computer is doing funny things. Is there a way to completely wipe everything out and start over? Or.....is it time for a new computer.

This sucks.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
My computer is doing funny things. Is there a way to completely wipe everything out and start over? Or.....is it time for a new computer.

This sucks.

Throw it against the wall. All should be well after that.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
You should kill your computer now. After all, it decided to post this thread in the Men's Basketball forum instead of Off Topic. :wink:

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
How do I reformat a hard drive?

Well, first thing you should do is boot your computer into safe mode and get any critical documents off of it. To boot into safe mode, hit the F8 key while your computer boots up. It should bring up a menu where you can boot into safe mode. Then you can move any critical documents to a flash drive or external hard drive.

cjb1978

Apr 9, 2010
Des Moines, IA
You should be able too, most computers today have part of your harddrive partitian off for the recovery disk. When you boot your pc, you should have an option of hitting f6 for recovery or something like that. Just look for it when the pc maker logo comes up when you reboot your machine.

If you do not, you will need to get a windows disk and it will walk you through the step of restoring your pc to factory condition. Once that process is done, you will need to redownload all windows updates etc.

You will lose everything.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
After you've taken any critical documents off of your machine, you have to have a Windows installation disc. If you bought your computer from a manufacturer, it should have come with a disc in the box called, "system restore disc" or something to that effect. You will then have to boot from the disc. From there, you would do a custom installation of windows.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
If you really want to get your computer 100% clean, the way to go is reformatting your entire hard drive. Pretty much what that means is you erase everything on your computer and start over.
First, backup any important things you want to keep on an external drive or disc.
Then, you need the CD to reinstall windows XP or Vista or whatever you are using.
Then, place in CD and restart computer and boot from disc. (not sure what key it is).
Then, follow instructions to reformat your harddrive.
After you have done that, you will probably need to download some important drivers and hardware that didn't get installed.
(that's what I did when I had to reinstall windows on my comp)

If you've never done it before, you should probably have somebody help you that has done it before. It will take some time and can be a little confusing at times. Not recommended unless last resort.

TheCaptain

Bookie
Jul 2, 2009
Iowa
If you've never done it before, you should probably have somebody help you that has done it before. It will take some time and can be a little confusing at times. Not recommended unless last resort.

Now thats the understatement of the week.I totally agree and then some. I tried to do it myself and only made things worse.
I too it into the local Computer Geek store and he had in done in like 3 hours and only charged me $100 bucks. WELL worth it.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Now thats the understatement of the week.I totally agree and then some. I tried to do it myself and only made things worse.
I too it into the local Computer Geek store and he had in done in like 3 hours and only charged me $100 bucks. WELL worth it.

He robbed you blind. He clicked yes about 5 times and charged you $100. :smile:

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I've always been curious, can you also save a human with a virus???

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Have you tried to run antivirus at all yet? Do you have an antivirus program?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
1. Download malewarebytes on a computer that's not infected onto a flash drive
2. Restart infected computer into safe mode.
3. Plug in flash drive and execute malwarebytes and let it do its thing.
4. See what happens.

TheCaptain

Bookie
Jul 2, 2009
Iowa
He robbed you blind. He clicked yes about 5 times and charged you $100. :smile:

Bul!$h!t....it got rid of all the problems that noone else or any other downloads could fix.
That computer runs like it did 3 years ago.It even got rid of all the trojans I got from this site.
And...with what he installed...it blocks all the viruses from this site.
I couldnt be happier.

M3MEPLEASE

Sep 4, 2009
What virus do you have? What is your computer doing?

Follow IcSyU's directions, I would bet this would take care of it. If not, try Combofix.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Bul!$h!t....it got rid of all the problems that noone else or any other downloads could fix.
That computer runs like it did 3 years ago.It even got rid of all the trojans I got from this site.
And...with what he installed...it blocks all the viruses from this site.
I couldnt be happier.
Just trust me...unless you're using a really good friend who you compensate in beer or something, you're getting robbed blind. Fixing computers is extremely easy if you have a couple tools at your disposal and know that in normal startup you can't really fix much (which is where most people fail miserably....safe mode is your friend!).