Iowa State vs Nebraska or Iowa bowls

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
The chances are better that we play Nebraska (or even Iowa) at some point in future. How likely do you guys think it is to play a big 10 team that may not be the top finisher like Ohio State. Michigan or Penn State (traditionally speaking) but around 4th or 5th seed which could very well be where Iowa State ranks to finish in Big 12 race? I would love to see Iowa State go against Nebraska in a bowl game :) :)

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It all depends on the bowl agreements for the Big12 and the Big10 after conference realignment is overwith. If there ends up being a bowl that matches up Big12 4/5 vs Big10 4/5 I can see it happening.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
I still think it wouldn't happen. VERY few people outside of Iowa would watch...especially if it were a lower tier bowl.

On the other hand, both fan bases travel well so you would think the bowl would like the matchup and that is really all that matters. Not to many people outside of Iowa watched the ISU Minnesota game last year.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I unfortunately have to paraphrase ignorant Iowa fans...

An ISU/Nebraska bowl game truly would be "my superbowl".

Growing up on both sides of the Iowa/Nebraska border, I just can't stand them. It would be so awesome to beat them in a bowl game down the road.

I also wouldn't mind a rematch in a bowl with Iowa at some point, but I wouldn't want it to happen very regularly if we still play once a year. We could probably play Nebraska in a bowl every other year and I'd still be pumped for the chance to beat them.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It all depends on the bowl agreements for the Big12 and the Big10 after conference realignment is overwith. If there ends up being a bowl that matches up Big12 4/5 vs Big10 4/5 I can see it happening.

Sorry, let me clarify.

We might see ISU vs Nebraska in a bowl game, but I doubt we would see ISU vs Iowa. The bowl would pick someone else in that scenario to make TV revenue make sense and to get another fan base to come to town.

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
Is this a serious question?
Do you know how many bowls ISU has been to?

I am messing with you man :) What I tried to say is it would be nice to get them in a bowl game. Obviously it won't happen unless we are contending for national championship or at absolute cellar of our leagues and big 12/10 has such a bowl.

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
It might be possible to see a Iowa State v Iowa Fiesta bowl, if ISU wins the Big 12, and through however the selection process goes, Iowa gets the at-large BCS bid. Though, with a championship game coming for the Big 10, it's likely we won't see a two Big 10 teams unless both are highly ranked, or unless there's an upset in the championship game (see Nebraska vs Texas last year, had Nebraska won).

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I am messing with you man :) What I tried to say is it would be nice to get them in a bowl game. Obviously it won't happen unless we are contending for national championship or at absolute cellar of our leagues and big 12/10 has such a bowl.

Ok, I didn't think you were a total moron.

Yeah, if it is the only bowl game available for both teams, then it might be a slim shot.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It might be possible to see a Iowa State v Iowa Fiesta bowl, if ISU wins the Big 12, and through however the selection process goes, Iowa gets the at-large BCS bid. Though, with a championship game coming for the Big 10, it's likely we won't see a two Big 10 teams unless both are highly ranked, or unless there's an upset in the championship game (see Nebraska vs Texas last year, had Nebraska won).

I still think that in an at large BCS selection, they would choose a different team and send the other to a different BCS bowl. It is in the interests of all fo the BCS bowls to have good ratings. I would think that the two bowls that have at large choices would work together to get the best matchups and prevent an in-state rivalry rematch.

The only in-state rivalries I could see would be FSU-Florida or Florida-Miami since they all have such large national fanbases. Most of the other big in-state rivalries are in the same conference.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
You know, I used to buy into the whole theory that we would never play in a bowl game because of TV, but now I'm not so sure. Given the choice of a game like ISU-Minnesota or ISU-Purdue versus ISU-Iowa, do you think there would be a major difference in TV ratings? If I am not a fan of any of the schools involved and you give me the choice to watch two middle of the pack teams in a minor bowl or two bitter rivals in a minor bowl, I'm going to watch the rivalry game. I would think you would pick up more than enough casual viewers to offset the losses you have from not having teams from two different regions.

Plus, an ISU-Iowa match up would sell out even in a minor bowl game. That has to be appealing to a bowl committee for some of those games that typically don't fill half the stadium

I still think it is highly unlikely to ever happen, but I certainly don't feel like it would be impossible. If the regular season series ended with a move to 9 conference games, the odds of a bowl game between the schools would get a real boost.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I still think that in an at large BCS selection, they would choose a different team and send the other to a different BCS bowl. It is in the interests of all fo the BCS bowls to have good ratings. I would think that the two bowls that have at large choices would work together to get the best matchups and prevent an in-state rivalry rematch.

The only in-state rivalries I could see would be FSU-Florida or Florida-Miami since they all have such large national fanbases. Most of the other big in-state rivalries are in the same conference.

I would tend to think that an in-state game may actually be more likely in a BCS game than in a minor bowl, just because those games are so large that they don't depend on fans of the school for ratings. Even my mother watches the Rose Bowl every year, it doesn't matter who is playing. There have been some real snoozer match ups in the BCS over the years, and I would think if you have two rivals good enough to make the BCS it would make for an interesting games, whether it be ISU-Iowa, or the Florida schools, or another in-state rivalry like Georgia-Georgia Tech. Odds are though that it will never happen just due to the fact that the number of in-state rivals that aren't in the same conference is pretty slim.

junckerl

Feb 18, 2009
Saint Anthony
Just had this discussion at a bar a few weeks ago and some guy said he remembered this being a possibility a few years back with the Alamo bowl or something like that, but they didn't think people would want to go see an Iowa/ISU rematch. Does this seem familiar to anyone or was this guy just smoking crack?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Just had this discussion at a bar a few weeks ago and some guy said he remembered this being a possibility a few years back with the Alamo bowl or something like that, but they didn't think people would want to go see an Iowa/ISU rematch. Does this seem familiar to anyone or was this guy just smoking crack?

He may have been smoking crack, but he's not too far off.

Iowa State was in the mix to be the B12 rep in the Alamo Bowl in 2001, to face Penn State. Well, PSU lost to Virginia the last week of the season and ended up 5-6 (not bowl eligible). That same day, MSU beat Missouri to finish 6-5. Iowa was also 6-5 (after losing to ISU the week before), along with Purdue.

The Alamo Bowl knew Iowa's reputation for travel (since Iowa played there in '96), and picked the Hawks over MSU and Purdue -- even though Iowa had lost to both of those teams.

The Big 12 had to wait an extra week for bowl invites because of its championship game and BCS implications. Since Iowa was already slotted for San Antonio, the Alamo Bowl picked Texas Tech. That meant a rematch of the 1996 game, an in-state team participating, and avoiding a rematch of an intrastate regular-season game played on Nov. 24.

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
Bowl games are about two things...

1) Attendance. First you have the direct benefit from selling tickets for the host stadium, but you also have the sort of indirect benefit the city gains from people going to local restaurants, hotels, bars, etc.

2) TV ratings. TV viewership brings with it money.

If you look at the selection process from solely an attendance point of view, then inviting Iowa and ISU for a rematch in...say...Miami wouldn't be a bad call. You'll probably pack the stadium, and a decent number of fans would probably travel and watch the game in local establishments.

However, from a TV viewership standpoint, unless it's #1/#2 Iowa vs #2/#1 ISU for the NCG, I honestly can't see people outside the state tuning into watching a bowl game with these two teams. Even if you believe alums outside the state will watch, that really can't be all that many people.

Anyway, with the Insight Bowl the only Big 12/Big 10 matchup (I think), we'll either see an Iowa/ISU bowl game if both teams are really good or really bad (with regard to bowl eligible teams). Or by some strange set of circumstances.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I cant say i really want to have a bowl against iowa. Im perfectly fine going to a bowl city and not dealing with hawk fans for a week.

Then again, im one of those who wouldnt mind if we cancelled our series with them, as i wouldnt mind not seeing them in ames every other year either.