Anticipation: This reminds me of 2002

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I'm not sure why, but my anticipation for ISU football seasonmimics '02. The details differ, but there are a few similarities.

1. Daunting conference schedule, with several "maybe we will/maybe we won't" games.

2. Promising results the previous year that seemed to hint at a small bump in expectations, along with some "almost" moments (Independence Bowl in '01; KSU & KU losses in '09) that I'd hope would go our way this time around.

3. I probably thought more about the upcoming season throughout the summer in both years, so it's a personal thing.

Beyond that, not a lot of situational parallels. So I still can't put my finger on it.

Anyone reminded of a past ISU season, as far as anticipation?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I'm not sure why, but my anticipation for ISU football seasonmimics '02. The details differ, but there are a few similarities.

1. Daunting conference schedule, with several "maybe we will/maybe we won't" games.

2. Promising results the previous year that seemed to hint at a small bump in expectations, along with some "almost" moments (Independence Bowl in '01; KSU & KU losses in '09) that I'd hope would go our way this time around.

3. I probably thought more about the upcoming season throughout the summer in both years, so it's a personal thing.

Beyond that, not a lot of situational parallels. So I still can't put my finger on it.

Anyone reminded of a past ISU season, as far as anticipation?

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Interesting comparison but it is unlikely that we start that hot and finish that cold. Alas, let's hope 2010 is not anything like 2002 in which the team was more streaky than consistent.

TexaClone

Sep 30, 2009
Austin, TX
I am right there with you on this one. I am flying to KC because I really feel like we have a better staff and a more improved team than KSU. If you look at what each staff member has already done in their careers, we have one of the best staffs in ISU history - yes, others have GONE ON to do things - like Earl Bruce or Johnny Majors, or Mack Brown, it has been rare to have a Wally Burnham or a Tom Herman on staff with success they have proven elsewhere. Rice with 10 wins - omg! may not happen ever again!

We also have kids who are good - but have gone thru a lot of change, yet got to a bowl last year. How, if you are a team member, do you not 100% BUY IN this year? Chizik stunk it up - and then Rhoads comes in and rocks it. Something special is going to happen this year - and even better next!

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
It's because we've had no reason to have any expectations lately. 2009 we had a new coach, so expectations were minimal, 2008 was Chiz's second year, and looking at his first year and how the team played, we had no reason to think it would be a breakthrough year. 2007 was a new head coach so expectations were low. I don't know about everyone else, but I did have expectations and was excited before 2006, having a team coming off two straight bowl games, a huge victory the year before against #8 Iowa and a lot of returning starters at the offensive skill positions. So I guess I'd liken it to 2006, and just hope it doesn't end up being like 2006.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Honestly, I am just looking forward to NIU right now...they were a bowl team last year so we must respect that and what they are capable of....and I know the players are doing the same. But we need to put them to bed real early. We need to come out on offense and just dominate their d-line with our running attack. The o-line and ARob really need to make them pay. We don't need any blips or stalls in offense at all early in the game, get that defense some ground so to speak. I am looking for a whooping and a razor sharp performance out of the O and a bend but not break type of defense again. Then, get ready for week 2 and plan that attack.