Happy Joes is Dead??

TedFlintKansas

Mar 5, 2009
thetailgatesociety.com
Ive heard from a really good source the the City of Ames has decided to say that Happy Joes is Condemned after the flood, this is a sad day, Hank was a great ISU supported and a HUGE fan, this is a huge loss to the town of Ames and to ISU!!!

Lets hope he can reopen somewhere else or savage the building

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Ive heard from a really good source the the City of Ames has decided to say that Happy Joes is Condemned after the flood, this is a sad day, Hank was a great ISU supported and a HUGE fan, this is a huge loss to the town of Ames and to ISU!!!

I'm not sure he's willing to go through another rebuild, it truly is an era coming to an end if he does indeed decide to "retire". It's been a tough week for him with his Mom's passing and the flood. Keep them in your thoughts as they are going through a lot.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Hopefully they just move to a different location like west ames would be sweet.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
We always make a point of eating at Happy Joe's when we visit Ames. My kids *love* Happy Joe's and I love the Taco and Canadian Bacon Pizzas. I wish him the best and hope they can reopen in a new location.

Oh, and RIP Fox...

cyclonecraig

Dec 23, 2008
agency,iowa

Hank is agreat guy. My son worked there for acouple of years while attending Isu. Wish him the best and sorry to hear about his mother.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Happy Joe's should move out to west Ames by Perfect Games et al. There are a lot of college students and families that live out that way, and mostly to get out of that massive flood plain.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
Why the hell did they build WalMart there? If I remember correctly, it flooded during the construction too. I worked at O'Malleys and that place got flooded on 3 separate occasions. Building in that flood plain is just asking for trouble.

I agree that these places should all move to West Ames, lots of good things going on out there.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Why the hell did they build WalMart there? If I remember correctly, it flooded during the construction too. I worked at O'Malleys and that place got flooded on 3 separate occasions. Building in that flood plain is just asking for trouble.

I agree that these places should all move to West Ames, lots of good things going on out there.

The same reason they build everything else they can on Duff....dolla dolla bill y'all.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I wonder how much a piece of land costs in that flood plain? I realize its on the busiest street in Ames, but you're guaranteed to get flooded a lot sooner than later. And if it's cheaper than usual, I guess insurance premiums will take care of the rest.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I'm wondering if 20th Century Bowling will reopen. I'm sure they have to replace all the lanes, which isn't cheap.

Ever since the smoking ban that place hasn't been very busy. I'd be surprised if they reopen.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
The South Duff flood plain claims more victims. First O'Malley's, now Happy Joes and the Fox. Hopefully the city will stop pushing businesses into that area. I realize its a busy street in town but the flood risk is too much

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
I'm guessing 20th Century will probably be gone this time. With Perfect Games out in West Ames they really can't compete and it wasn't like the place was in great shape anyways.

Hopefully Happy Joes goes out to West Ames.

RIP Fox.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Buildings on S Duff should be required to be built on stilts.

imageshouse-on-stilts-small.jpg

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Too bad, i worked for Hank for about 2 years. Good guy and great supporter of ISU sports. That HJ was kinda janky, but it was still good pizza.