Offensive Line

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MaxPower57

Mar 30, 2006
Has anyone heard how the offensive line has been looking thus far? Any word on who will take the last guard spot up for grabs? In the practice photos it looks like they've been rotating Hayworth Hicks, Sean Smith, and Jon Caspers in. It also looks Alvarez may have shifted to RG.

I don't think it would be a bad idea for the new starting guard to play in between KO and Lamaak. Some of the shortcomings at the position could be masked by being between those two. Plus, at LG, they would be on the backside of the play more often than at RG.

If Caspers is the clear #1, I hope he starts instead of RSing. Hicks has never really played outside of some time in FG formations so it should be pretty wide open. Two guys I am excited about are Bykowski and Lichtenberg. I believe they were mentioned as the top two reserves coming out of the spring. I know both are a bit tall for G, but I think they have more potential than a guy like Hicks.

Also, any word on how the freshmen OL are doing? I think I've seen Farniok playing with the 2's.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Has anyone heard how the offensive line has been looking thus far? Any word on who will take the last guard spot up for grabs? In the practice photos it looks like they've been rotating Hayworth Hicks, Sean Smith, and Jon Caspers in. It also looks Alvarez may have shifted to RG.

I don't think it would be a bad idea for the new starting guard to play in between KO and Lamaak. Some of the shortcomings at the position could be masked by being between those two. Plus, at LG, they would be on the backside of the play more often than at RG.

If Caspers is the clear #1, I hope he starts instead of RSing. Hicks has never really played outside of some time in FG formations so it should be pretty wide open. Two guys I am excited about are Bykowski and Lichtenberg. I believe they were mentioned as the top two reserves coming out of the spring. I know both are a bit tall for G, but I think they have more potential than a guy like Hicks.

Also, any word on how the freshmen OL are doing? I think I've seen Farniok playing with the 2's.
Hicks played as a true Frosh didn't he? Spot duty and injury time but he played. I would feel real good if he was getting beat out.
My biggest concern is the loss of Stephens. I hope we don't underestimate how important he was to our team

Last edited:

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Hicks played as a true Frosh didn't he? Spot duty and injury time but he played. I would feel real good if he was getting beat out.
My biggest concern is the loss of Stephens. I hope we don't underestimate how important he was to our team

Actually he played as a sophomore transfer his 1st year in the program. He played his freshman year at Antelope Valley juco. He was a qualifier out of hs so he could transfer in after 1 year. He is now a rsJR after sitting out last season.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Agree with Caspers, Max. If he is the clear #1, he shouldn't be redshirting.

One guy I'd like to see make a push from that open RG spot is Tuftee. He is gonna be important next year and if he could make a push now, that is a great sign for the future.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
stephens and haugton are the only 2 guys we lose right? I'd equate those two with KO and Lamaak. Add in one more year of the system... I'd say our Offensive line is going to be better than last year.

I'd give last years unit a B+ and this years could be an A-

bigcyfan82

Aug 30, 2008
Des Moines
Yes, Hicks started some 2 years ago with chizzelbitch at the helm. got in some academic trouble last year...therefore was not eligible and redshirted instead.

I give the nod to Hicks to start at the beginning. We'll see how things shake out after that. My biggest worry with him, is that he will not be in good enough shape to keep motoring the entire game...so I could see Caspers or Smith subbing a few series here and there.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
stephens and haugton are the only 2 guys we lose right? I'd equate those two with KO and Lamaak. Add in one more year of the system... I'd say our Offensive line is going to be better than last year.

I'd give last years unit a B+ and this years could be an A-
I envision Hicks stepping in for Haughton but I worry about the loss of Stephens. The guy was a beast and the mind of the OL. We really missed him last year when he was hurt and not 100%. I think Lamaak will make the move to center just fine but I think we lose just a little with Stephens graduating.

I think Hicks will be good as well but possibly just a little behind what Haughton was so we get another step back. I do think that Haughton was out of position last year so maybe we don't see much of a drop off but there might be a lower ceiling.

I guess when it is all said and done, I expect our OL to be as good or just a step below last year's unit.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Yes, Hicks started some 2 years ago with chizzelbitch at the helm. got in some academic trouble last year...therefore was not eligible and redshirted instead.

I give the nod to Hicks to start at the beginning. We'll see how things shake out after that. My biggest worry with him, is that he will not be in good enough shape to keep motoring the entire game...so I could see Caspers or Smith subbing a few series here and there.
That is what I thought. Ithought he played more than just some special teams and saw some pretty meaningful minutes due to injuries.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
We will be ok on the line.

I just dont see how you lost 2 NFL type offensive linemen and expect to be just as good. We may see some struggles here early in the season.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
almost positive he and reggie stephens were the 2 guards 2 years ago.
KO was LG
Dedrick was LT.
Alavarez at C
Stephens at RG
haughton at RT

I thought their was an injury when hicks played quite a bit. His bio says he played in 12 games.

thanks to the poster that reminded me he was a 4 to play 3 JUCO guy.

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
The position battle for LG is one that I'm paying very close attention to as we move through camp. I was hoping Hicks would come in and be the clear cut number 1, but apparently that's not the case. I remember a lot of chatter that if he continued to improve Sh would get a shot at the NFL, so we can't underestimate his loss. Iirc, Smith came in and played some center when Knapp went down a couple of years ago, so he is capable of playing either position inside. It will be interesting to see if one of the young guys can emerge and at least provide some depth. We really don't have much expierence once we get past the starters.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I envision Hicks stepping in for Haughton but I worry about the loss of Stephens. The guy was a beast and the mind of the OL. We really missed him last year when he was hurt and not 100%. I think Lamaak will make the move to center just fine but I think we lose just a little with Stephens graduating.

I think Hicks will be good as well but possibly just a little behind what Haughton was so we get another step back. I do think that Haughton was out of position last year so maybe we don't see much of a drop off but there might be a lower ceiling.

I guess when it is all said and done, I expect our OL to be as good or just a step below last year's unit.

I rate them slightly ahead of last year mainly because of year 2 of the system. As an offensive linemen- you have to know A TON of assignments. The O-linemen have to be intelligent. After the QB, they need to be the smartest people on the whole team.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
almost positive he and reggie stephens were the 2 guards 2 years ago.

KO was LG
Dedrick was LT.
Alavarez at C
Stephens at RG
haughton at RT

I thought their was an injury when hicks played quite a bit. His bio says he played in 12 games.

2008 OL starts...

Dedrick - 12
Stephens - 12
Lamaak - 8
Alvarez - 7
Hulbert - 6
Knapp - 5
Osemele - 5
Haughton - 4
Johnson - 1

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
KO and Davis will be bookends. Lammak at Center. Hicks and Alveraz fill in the gaps. Yeah, this line is better than last years.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
KO was LG
Dedrick was LT.
Alavarez at C
Stephens at RG
haughton at RT

Hicks was a backup that year. I believe he played in all the games because he was on the extra pt. team or some other special team.