MLB: Morneau has been out for 5 weeks now.

RhoadsRage

I AM SO PROUD....
Bookie
Jan 25, 2010
McGregor
I don't get it......football players are usually out 2-3 weeks with a concusion and that is a WAY more physical sport. Is there something I'm missing here or what??? :confused:

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
I don't get it......football players are usually out 2-3 weeks with a concusion and that is a WAY more physical sport. Is there something I'm missing here or what??? :confused:

ya he continues to get severe symptoms when exposed to lighting, or he was at least. it seems to be running that is affecting the most right now. we also need morneau to be healthy when he plays and we dont want to risk him so we are taking it slow.

Morneau, Twins playing it safe | twinsbaseball.com: News

i usually check the twins website for updates

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

Morneau has a history of concussions from his younger days as a hockey player. The cumulative effect is why the current situation is so serious and lingering so long.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It's his history of concussions and the fact that he hasn't had a single day yet where he hasn't had any symptoms. Not good at all. Pretty hard to expect someone to face pitchers throwing baseballs at 90 mph at you when you have a headache.

I just hope he comes back.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
I'm not worried about Morneau. Twins are winning without him. They obviously still need him in the lineup, but as long as the Twins continue to win, it allows them to really take their time with Morneau. Make sure he is 100%.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
It's his history of concussions and the fact that he hasn't had a single day yet where he hasn't had any symptoms. Not good at all. Pretty hard to expect someone to face pitchers throwing baseballs at 90 mph at you when you have a headache.

I just hope he comes back.

he will be back..at least he's not playing football where concussions are pretty common thing. previous history doesnt usually affect players in baseball in terms of forcing an early retirement, it usually just leads to extreme cases like morneau's where they are out for several weeks. as long as the twins continue to win, he can take as much time as he needs.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
he will be back..at least he's not playing football where concussions are pretty common thing. previous history doesnt usually affect players in baseball in terms of forcing an early retirement, it usually just leads to extreme cases like morneau's where they are out for several weeks. as long as the twins continue to win, he can take as much time as he needs.

Corey Koskie says "Hi" from his career ending concussion. My thoughts are we don't see him till mid September.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I hope we see him in the lineup before that but they are still winning without him.
Its already mid August and now they don't have a timetable for starting a rehab. My figuring is a couple more weeks till they do a rehab assignment and I'm guessing they'll probably take it slow down there as well.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Corey Koskie says "Hi" from his career ending concussion. My thoughts are we don't see him till mid September.

I hope we see him in the lineup before that but they are still winning without him.

I want to see Morneau back asap, but the Twins will have a tough roster decision if he comes back before the roster expansion in September. When Punto comes back on the roster in the next few days, the easy move is to go back to 2 catchers and send Morales back to AAA.

Adding Morneau back is tougher. The way that Gardy uses the staff, it's almost a must to go with a 12 pitchers. That leaves 8 starting position players and a 5 man bench. With Cuddyer back in RF, the givens are Butera, Thome, Kubel, and Punto as bench/DH. If you choose to, you can insert Punto back at 3B and give one of the bench slots to Valencia. What it comes down to is 1 spot for either Casilla or Repko. Both have earned the spot and both are out of options. The Twins need both of them for the stretch run and can't afford to lose either one to a claim by another team if they try to send them down. The best solution is to make a short term move to send down a pitcher who won't be needed on the playoff roster - ie Perkins. This would work if the transaction is either after or immediately before the roster expansion. It would be too much of a handicap to try to go with 11 pitchers for more than a few days at the end of August.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I want to see Morneau back asap, but the Twins will have a tough roster decision if he comes back before the roster expansion in September. When Punto comes back on the roster in the next few days, the easy move is to go back to 2 catchers and send Morales back to AAA.

Adding Morneau back is tougher. The way that Gardy uses the staff, it's almost a must to go with a 12 pitchers. That leaves 8 starting position players and a 5 man bench. With Cuddyer back in RF, the givens are Butera, Thome, Kubel, and Punto as bench/DH. If you choose to, you can insert Punto back at 3B and give one of the bench slots to Valencia. What it comes down to is 1 spot for either Casilla or Repko. Both have earned the spot and both are out of options. The Twins need both of them for the stretch run and can't afford to lose either one to a claim by another team if they try to send them down. The best solution is to make a short term move to send down a pitcher who won't be needed on the playoff roster - ie Perkins. This would work if the transaction is either after or immediately before the roster expansion. It would be too much of a handicap to try to go with 11 pitchers for more than a few days at the end of August.

Keep in mind that in the next couple of weeks rosters are going to expand, which means it shouldn't be a problem. I don't know when the exact date is, though.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
This has nothing to do with Morneau, but Duensing just pitched a gem tonight. Only gave up 3 hits and no runs in a complete game.
If he can keep pitching like he has been, it will help the rotation a ton down the stretch!

RhoadsRage

I AM SO PROUD....
Bookie
Jan 25, 2010
McGregor
This has nothing to do with Morneau, but Duensing just pitched a gem tonight. Only gave up 3 hits and no runs in a complete game.
If he can keep pitching like he has been, it will help the rotation a ton down the stretch!

I agree 100%.....great game tonight!!!

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Keep in mind that in the next couple of weeks rosters are going to expand, which means it shouldn't be a problem. I don't know when the exact date is, though.

I agree that Morneau coming back either in Sept or late Aug should not be a problem. The point that I was making is that if he were ready to come back now in mid-August then the Twins would have a roster problem to deal with. It's probably a non-issue as He doesn't appear to be ready to play for at least a couple of weeks. If he were still on the DL when rosters expand, he could still be added to the post season roster at a later date.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron