SI Says Cyclones Go 1-7 and 3-9

Jan 23, 2008
Glen Ellyn, IL
I just opened up my Sports Illustrated college football issue and it pegs the Cyclones for last in the Big 12 North going 1-7 and 3-9 overall. My guess is they think ISU will beat Texas Tech, Northen Illinois, and Northern Iowa. They say Rhoads is the up and coming coach of the conference but that he faces a tougher schedule than last year with the addition of Oklahoma, Texas and Utah. I believe the Cyclones do better than this, but it does suggest they will have to "over-achieve" to become bowl eligible.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
I just opened up my Sports Illustrated college football issue and it pegs the Cyclones for last in the Big 12 North going 1-7 and 3-9 overall. My guess is they think ISU will beat Texas Tech, Northen Illinois, and Northern Iowa. They say Rhoads is the up and coming coach of the conference but that he faces a tougher schedule than last year with the addition of Oklahoma, Texas and Utah. I believe the Cyclones do better than this, but it does suggest they will have to "over-achieve" to become bowl eligible.

Doesn't surprise me. It will take awhile before ISU starts garnering respect. I'm ok with it though. I'd rather our guys have a chip on their shoulder than the weight of the world on their shoulders like those guys over in that smelly city named after our state.
Here's to surprising everyone this year!!

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I love it, bulletin board material. Take all these predictions and blow em up and stick them in every square inch of the locker room.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
It really sucks when big national publications come out and say we are going to essentially suck. What is nice, is we have grounds to dispute their predictions because our success last year. Last summer, we didn't have a leg to stand on when everyone said we were going to suck. We kind of had to just take it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Doesn't surprise me. It will take awhile before ISU starts garnering respect. I'm ok with it though. I'd rather our guys have a chip on their shoulder than the weight of the world on their shoulders like those guys over in that smelly city named after our state.
Here's to surprising everyone this year!!

Not good enough to be named after our state. Iowa City is named after the Iowa River.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I love it, bulletin board material. Take all these predictions and blow em up and stick them in every square inch of the locker room.

This is the correct answer. Let the national pubs and the rest of the conference underrate us at their own peril.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Once again we are presented with a national media magazine that spends 98% of their time researching the top 25 teams and letting their interns handle the other teams.

If the injury bug hits ISU their predictions could be right. As I stated before, the difference between KU, KSU, CU, MU and ISU is very small, and anything can happen after the season starts. It just makes us mad that ISU is always the team that is picked to be the worst of these teams.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny

There is a fine line. You don't want to go overboard with the bulletin board material. At some point, you have to expect too much would result in the team starting to believe it.

nileo

Apr 29, 2010
Grimes
I can see this team going anywhere from 2-10 to 7-5, just depending how good we come out of the gate. SI just provides us some added motivation to prove them and everyone else wrong.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
This just in. SI is wrong. Back to you.

Thanks Ollie

olliewilliams.jpg

clonestar12

May 16, 2006
Texas

SI predictions are about as reliable as Mad magazine`s prediction on the next presidential election. They are both quite humorous.

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
I don't know because not only do I not buy SI, I do not read it. I would be willing to bet they had the same prediction last year, and just recycled it changing the names on our schedule. My gut feeling says we win at least 6, and if 6 is the number, we win the bowl game. 7-5 gets us a better bowl with a better opponent, and then it is harder to say we win. But as far as SI goes, I just don't bother with it.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines

I highly doubt they think we'll beat Texas Tech. I'm guessing our one league win they have is Kansas, CU or K-State

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
This is bulletin board material for the FB players, nothing more. And is SI ever right with their predictions? I'm not superstitious at all, and I've seen their cover jinx take down more teams and players than I can count.