Potential playing time

zwclones51

Aug 4, 2010
West Des Moines
I've been watching all the videos posted by cyclones.com and keep seeing a kid that's really catching my eye. Jarvis West #3. Does anybody else think he will get some PT this year. He's a freshman but he looks like he could maybe be an awesome guy to use on screens and punts and such..

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I've been watching all the videos posted by cyclones.com and keep seeing a kid that's really catching my eye. Jarvis West #3. Does anybody else think he will get some PT this year. He's a freshman but he looks like he could maybe be an awesome guy to use on screens and punts and such..
I thought it looked like he could be a good return man this year.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
It is hard to read too much into the short video clips, but he has caught my attention as well.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
At the end of the day I am just glad that we are bringing in kids out of high school that are coming into camp and catching peoples eye. George at LB, Johnson at RB, and West at WR have all been turning some heads. Those are all positions that we need as many playmakers at as we can get. :yes:

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008

The one who's been catching my eye has been Donnie Jennert. He seems to catch everything thrown at him and he has a sudden, surprising burst of speed for someone his size. That one drill, it was either screen passes or that team pursuit thing, he gets by everyone before they even know he left.

Jarvis West is also noteworthy, but I really think he needs a redshirt year to get bigger.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
He deffinitely has the breakaway speed and acceleration to make thing happen in the return game. I think the deciding factors are going to be the following:

A) Can he recieve the kick consistently and not fumble. Ball security is key and one of the big reasons Lenz remained our punt return guy last year.

B)Can he take a hit. Geven his small stature, he may need a redshirt year to bulk up and absorb the impact of Big12 athletes slamming into him.

If West can pass those two tests, he has my vote for top return guy. It makes more sense to me than risking LJ on kick returns. We at least have a decent number of other options at WR, unlike CB.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
He deffinitely has the breakaway speed and acceleration to make thing happen in the return game. I think the deciding factors are going to be the following:

A) Can he recieve the kick consistently and not fumble. Ball security is key and one of the big reasons Lenz remained our punt return guy last year.

B)Can he take a hit. Geven his small stature, he may need a redshirt year to bulk up and absorb the impact of Big12 athletes slamming into him.

If West can pass those two tests, he has my vote for top return guy. It makes more sense to me than risking LJ on kick returns. We at least have a decent number of other options at WR, unlike CB.

From a potential injury standpoint, it would be good to get LJ off kick return.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
jarvis has a set of wheels and i think will get to see the football field in several situations..my only problem with jarvis is that i wish that he was a bit bigger so that he could be more physical.he may get the ball on a kickoff or a short pass and take the ball in for a score.

cyclone432

Oct 14, 2006
Got a friend who's a trainer for the team... apparently West is CRAZY fast. Legit 4.3 speed. I was watching his youtube video, and I can't see him not getting time this year. Check out 1:12. Or 1:47 where he actually loses the camera! I wonder if the track team needs an extra leg for the 4x100.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGzLaHskeNc]YouTube - Gibbs RB/WR Jarvis West[/ame]

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
he's brandon banks size. those little guys can make a big impact with their speed. Don't under estimate him.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron