Clash of the Titans

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
The original > the newer one.

The new CotT was garbage and trust me when I say I tried to like it. Visually, it was good, but the story was too choppy. And wtf was with the part where they're getting ready to leave on their quest and they dig up Bupo (the mechanical owl). Disrespectful. It tried too hard to be cool where the original was fun too. In the end, an epic fail.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
These reviews provoke a sense of the old adage "the book was better than the movie".

I have not seen the original, would I still like the new one? I was thinking of picking it up tonight on my way home.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
These reviews provoke a sense of the old adage "the book was better than the movie".

I have not seen the original, would I still like the new one? I was thinking of picking it up tonight on my way home.

I didn't see the original either and thought the new Clash was just "flat". It kind of feels that the actors mailed in their performances for the paycheck, as the material itself is pretty cool - the execution is just terrible. I bet it looks awesome on Blu-Ray and will probably be one of my guilty pleasure movies when it sells for $10 or less, which it will around Thanksgiving/Christmas. I would recommend watching it on a Saturday afternoon, because you'll be so bored watching it, it will make you want to get out and do something or just get out of the house.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

Good question. I am not sure I can give you an answer.

As mentioned, visually, it's impressive. I just think the original does a much better job of staying true to the myth the movies are portraying. Also, and again already mentioned, I remember thinking to myself "what the **** is going on right now" when watching the new version. The original is pretty damn fluid, and easier to understand (I was VERY young when I first saw it, too).

Both movies have a bit of the "cheese factor" but I found some things in the new movie downright embarrassing (i.e. The scorpions HELPING them on their quest to the underworld??? Get the **** out of here).

In short, you very well could like the movie, but it is a far cry from the original. As such, most who have seen the original, and have their hopes up, will hate this adaptation.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
Good question. I am not sure I can give you an answer.

As mentioned, visually, it's impressive. I just think the original does a much better job of staying true to the myth the movies are portraying. Also, and again already mentioned, I remember thinking to myself "what the **** is going on right now" when watching the new version. The original is pretty damn fluid, and easier to understand (I was VERY young when I first saw it, too).

Both movies have a bit of the "cheese factor" but I found some things in the new movie downright embarrassing (i.e. The scorpions HELPING them on their quest to the underworld??? Get the **** out of here).

In short, you very well could like the movie, but it is a far cry from the original. As such, most who have seen the original, and have their hopes up, will hate this adaptation.

I appreciate your feedback. Sounds like it isn't worth putting off sleep for. I will wait for some weekend when I need to kill time.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I appreciate your feedback. Sounds like it isn't worth putting off sleep for. I will wait for some weekend when I need to kill time.

Anytime. I'm not afraid to throw out my opinions :smile:

Though if familiar with the myth of Perseus, I would be interested to hear how someone would compare the movies when viewed in the opposite order.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
release-the-kraken-brimley-500js031710.jpg

release-the-kraken-blobfish-500js031710-1268870578.jpg

release-the-kraken-seal-500js031710.jpg

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
What's sad is I enjoyed Percy Jackson and the Olympians more than I did Clash of the Titans (both had a similar premise - the story of Perseus), and Percy was more of a kid's movie...