ISU @ Texas Predictions

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I've been analyzing some of Texas' stats, and here's what I've come up with.

Statistically, Texas should win this game 27-21. I don't know how that happened, but as the numbers work out, ISU is a 6 point underdog in my books. :rolleyes5cz:

The main question is how quickly will ISU rebound after a loss to Iowa? I think many of us could agree that if we can't win in Iowa City, we can't win in Austin, but there are a few things that cater to our strengths and weaknesses.

Texas is currently -3 in turnovers. They've given the ball up twice in each of their past three games for a total of 6 Texas turnovers. That's a bit shocking, considering Colt McCoy has been intercepted once, and that the Longhorn running game is their strength. This is probably either due to plain ole fumbles, or muffing punts, w/e.

Texas also averages 171 passing yards per game. This might be due to the focus on the running game, because McCoy has completed 64% of his throws. Still the ISU rushing defense should be able to stop the Texas RBs enough to make the passing game a bit more of a factor.

And speaking of passing, in the one game that matters, Texas gave up 269 yards through the air. Well, Texas also gave up 180 passing yards to Rice, but 78 of those passing yards came in the last drive of the game when Texas likely had their 2nd string in. Take it as you will. Hopefully D-Mac will open up the passing game a lot more, because the Texas D has been averaging 25 ypg on the ground.

So, I guess what it comes down to is our Rushing D stepping it up, and letting the ponies run through the air. That might give us a chance in this game. I don't think ISU will win this game, but they'll make it close until Texas pulls away late.

ISU 24
Texas 38

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Too early in the week to start thinking rational about the Texas game. If I did, I fear I may become depressed about this upcoming game.

But if I was forced to make a too far in advance guess I would say

42 - 27 bad guys, but the Cardinal that runs through my veins says 35 -27 Good guys.

Regardless of outcome, Go Clones!

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I don't think we can score 27 points with the way we've been playing on offense.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I do not think ISU will win, but come on guys, there is no way this is going to be a blow out. Our young defense has improved with each game it has played, and IMO, the mistakes they made yesterday are mistakes then can EASILY be corrected (e.g. missing tackles after intial contact). The one thing our defense needs to learn is who to bring pressure to QB's, and as the season goes on they SHOULD be doing this more and more. As far as our offense goes, we all know what it is capable of doing, and the offense looked the best it has all year yesterday.

My prediction right know is 37-31 in favor of Texas.

Although I do not feel that ISU is going to win this game, it not out of reach and I would not be surprised to come out of this one with a W.

frontrangeclone

Apr 11, 2006
Cache Valley
twitter.com
I don't see us putting up more than 17 points on Texas' defense. Look at the athletes they have.... We may hang in the game for the first 20 minutes, but the talent and coaching differential will become evident midway into the 2nd quarter. God I hope I'm wrong.

I have this crazy hope of ISU going into Austin this year like they did College Station last year.... an "us against the world mentality" with Bret and Todd hooking up and Stevie having a career day....

but when reality hits, I think it will be 38-17 UT.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
42-6. Doubt we will score much. Our offense has been aweful all year, minus the overtimes against Toledo.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
42-10 unless we get a brains transplant on playcalling and qb improbvement. Are we seeing Bret Meyer look too long at his receivers again? ASre they reading his eyes again? We need to fake one direction and go the opposite against trexas.

threemuch

Mar 28, 2006
Portland, OR
I really hope we can get deep into double digits on the texas D, but I haven't seen anything this year that would lead me to believe it. Without sustained drives, our D will wear out again. Home field advantage, all that.

Longhorns 45, Cyclones 7.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I really hope we can get deep into double digits on the texas D, but I haven't seen anything this year that would lead me to believe it. Without sustained drives, our D will wear out again. Home field advantage, all that.

Longhorns 45, Cyclones 7.

is there anyone else out there who thinks these predictions so far are ridiculous? Come on people, I dont even think with Vince Young the longhorns could put a stomping like this on our team

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
is there anyone else out there who thinks these predictions so far are ridiculous? Come on people, I dont even think with Vince Young the longhorns could put a stomping like this on our team

Oh....yeah...they would. Add Vince Young back to Texas againts our defense this year...yeah...they'd put up a ton of points.

I don't want to predict anything. So far my predictions have been foul...the first two weeks with the games being closer than I predicted or Saturday - losing when I predicted a win.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
My predictions have been pretty close (I thought 24-14 Iowa, was just off by two field goals) and I'm saying it's going to be 28-10 Texas. Unless we get something going this week in practice, I can't see our current offense getting anything going against an excellent Texas defense.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
My predictions have been pretty close (I thought 24-14 Iowa, was just off by two field goals) and I'm saying it's going to be 28-10 Texas. Unless we get something going this week in practice, I can't see our current offense getting anything going against an excellent Texas defense.

Good numbers, Bryce. I was going to say 28 - 13.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
I have no idea what the outcome will be, but there is precedent for an undermanned ISU team to hang with Texas. With that said, Texas is loaded with bigger, faster and more athletic players, so it is tough to predict that ISU will be able to overcome the talent disparity.

Since we have nothing to lose, here's to hoping the coaching staff opens things up and takes some chances.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Our offense is playing at a 10 point rate now for Texas. Our defense can hold them to 35 points. Unless things change in a big way, bookies say 21.

Giving Clones benefit of doubt with aid of special team runbacks, Texas 35-ISU 21.

After all, how many 21 point underdogs win. 3-5%. Just ask Nebrasaka.

threemuch

Mar 28, 2006
Portland, OR

Lessee, we beat Toledo at home in triple overtime, and they came within a hair of starting out O-3. We barely beat a UNLV team that went on to give up 42 points to the powerhouse that is Hawaii. We were pretty thoroughly beaten by a Hawkeye team that just squeaked by Syracuse.

What do you see that I am missing? Please, I could use the good news.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
42-21 Texas wins. Our offense will look improved but we won't be able to stop big plays from Texas. We will lose the turnover battle by 1.