NFL: Overtrained Athlete Syndrome

tyrelrobert

Oct 18, 2006
West Des Moines,IA
That's the excuse Brian Cushing is trying to use to get his suspension reduced.

Brian Cushing: Overtraining caused positive test - ESPN

Anybody buying it?

I don't think so....
cstrh23e8ggb.jpg

Just take your suspension like a man and be done with it

CloneAbuse

Oct 4, 2009
Clive, IA
Not buying at all...

from my understanding, overtraining syndrom is like an adrenal crash. He would be wiped out, no energy to be lifting weights, muscle atrophy from lack of intense exercise...one cannot participate in vigorous activity if they have suffered from overtraining syndrome...he'd be laying in bed sleeping until he recovered. By all accounts he was ou there winning the defensive rookie of the year, seems like he was ok. Have to explain the HCG some other way....like cycling off roids!!!

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Sounds to be about the dumbest excuse since Mannywood got caught using women's fertility drugs...

That is exactly it. Cushing got caught with high HCG levels in his system. HCG is a hormone normally produced during pregnancy. In fact, most over the counter pregnancy tests are testing for HCG. It can also be used to induce ovulation for women having fertility issues. My wife and I became very familiar with this stuff when she got pregnant with our daughter. The point is, it high levels of the stuff would be odd to show up in a man's body.

Peter King had a good thought about Cushing in his MMQB column. If, Overtrained Athlete Syndrome was a potential cause for Cushing's positive test, wouldn't you think that other football players would have been found with high HCG levels as well? They certainly would be good candidates for it. But the fact is that "no player in the history of the NFL substance-abuse program before Cushing tested positive for the higher level of hCG." He's the only one.

Sam Bradford aces first test; Texans fight for Brian Cushing - Peter King - SI.com

Last edited:

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
That is exactly it. Cushing got caught with high HCG levels in his system. HCG is a hormone normally produced during pregnancy. In fact, most over the counter pregnancy tests are testing for HCG. It can also be used to induce ovulation for women having fertility issues. My wife and I became very familiar with this stuff when she got pregnant with our daughter. The point is, it high levels of the stuff would be odd to show up in a man's body.

Peter King had a good thought about Cushing in his MMQB column. If, Overtrained Athlete Syndrome was a potential cause for Cushing's positive test, wouldn't you think that other football players would have been found with high HCG levels as well? They certainly would be good candidates for it. But the fact is that "no player in the history of the NFL substance-abuse program before Cushing tested positive for the higher level of hCG." He's the only one.

Sam Bradford aces first test; Texans fight for Brian Cushing - Peter King - SI.com

So his doper grabbed the wrong bottle and gave him estrogen instead of testosterone? :biglaugh:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So his doper grabbed the wrong bottle and gave him estrogen instead of testosterone? :biglaugh:

No, it's not estrogen. Totally different stuff. And it was not a mistake that he took it. As I understand it, HCG is used to offset some of the negative effects of anabolic steroids, and help return the body back to "normal" after a steroid cycle.

Last edited: