Help with Buying A New Vacuum

weisr2002

Mar 13, 2009
I am looking to purchase a new vacuum, and wanted to know if the fanatics had any recommendations. Looking for something with some good suction, and useful attachments. Preferably in the $100-$200 price range. Currently live in an all carpeted apartment, but may want the option for using on hard surfaces in the future. I have a dog, so sucking up the pet hair out of the furniture is important too. I have allergies, so it will probably need a HEPA filter, or some other sort of dust filter.

Any help would be appreciated.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
The Eureka smart vac is a no frills bag vacuum with a hepa filter. I bought this vacuum about 3 years ago haven't replaced the belt yet. Great suction power with no loss of suction so far. For the price I think it is the best vacuum I have used. It's a little loud and heavier than an Oreck but it will pick up pet hair no problem. It also has an option to use on hard floor surfaces.

Amazon.com: Eureka 4870GZ Boss Smart-Vac Upright Vacuum: Home & Garden

Last edited:

clone3139

Apr 14, 2008
My wife and I got a Dyson for our wedding. If it ever goes out and if I can afford it I will buy another one. I let my parents borrow ours for a couple of days and 2 days later they went and bought their own.

arrrgh11

Oct 28, 2006
My wife and I got a Dyson for our wedding. If it ever goes out and if I can afford it I will buy another one. I let my parents borrow ours for a couple of days and 2 days later they went and bought their own.

My recommendation is to save up and buy a Dyson. We have had a Dyson for 8 yrs and it still works as good as the day we bought it.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
SpaceballMaid.jpg

ericlambi

Mar 24, 2006
I agree that Dyson's are awesome, but if it's out of your price range I just suggest you to research how often you'll have to replace the filter on the model you buy and how much it will cost. Our previous vacuum before our Dyson had a filter that cost $25 for the generic ($40 for the Hoover brand) and needed to be replaced at least a couple times a year (the directions actually suggested replacing it monthly).

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
If you can find an old Elecrolux, they are beasts that work great for the money. Otherwise, I have been very impressed with all Dyson products.

This

My mother-in-law got an Electrolux 31 years ago for a bridal shower gift, and it worked perfectly for 30 years until my father-in-law dropped the thing down the stairs. They are super expensive though. I think I priced one that was about 2 or 3 times that of a Dyson. Dysons are good though. I don't own one but everyone I know who has one loves it. They also have one specifically made for pet hair to (about $100 more I think).

If you don't have the money now, go with the best Hoover you can buy. Then, when that goes out, presumably you'll have more money by then so you can buy a Dyson or Electrolux... or just marry a chick for a her "high-suction" vacuum if you know what I mean:wink:

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
Don't skimp on the cord length. Ours has a short cord and it makes me mad because I always have to unplug it and change outlets when I vacuum big rooms. :arghh:

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
You will not get the good sucking power out of a $200 vacuum. We had cheap vac and all we did was unplug it and see how bad of a job it did. Since you do have allergies a vac that gets everything out of the carpet would be ideal and spending the money on a good one is worth it and a good vac will last along time. You pay for it upfront but in the long run you will be money ahead.