Place to eat in CF/Waterloo like Cafe Somerset in Ames?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I just moved to Waterloo about a month and a half ago, and I'm hoping to find some good local places to eat -- specifically, I'm wondering if there's a place here similar to The Cafe in Somerset in Ames? I know there aren't going to be a lot of places like that anywhere, but I figured I'd ask around.

Of course, if any of you have any other favorite local places, I'd love to hear about them too!

Reactions: Erik4Cy

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
What is the Cafe in Somerset like? Give me some examples of what type of food and I'll do my best

IAm4State

Jun 9, 2010
Waterloo, IA
I just moved to Waterloo about a month and a half ago, and I'm hoping to find some good local places to eat -- specifically, I'm wondering if there's a place here similar to The Cafe in Somerset in Ames? I know there aren't going to be a lot of places like that anywhere, but I figured I'd ask around.

Of course, if any of you have any other favorite local places, I'd love to hear about them too!

Welcome to Waterloo!
Have never been to "The Cafe". Maybe I need to go there and then give you the local feedback on who might be close to it.

Otherwise, we could sit around at my place, grill some Herky burgers, and burn deadbird flags on my bonfire!

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
never been to cafe somerset, but some good places to eat are Reux Orleans (sp?) in CF. as well as Galleria De Paco (bosnian owned upscale restaurant in the 'loo.) Brown Bottle in North Cedar is always nice as well! Welcome to the Cedar Valley!

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
CU in downtown Waterloo is about the closest equivalent in my mind. Galleria de Paco downton is very nice, very fancy (multi-course meals and everything)...expensive though. Roux Orleans is pretty nice downtown, it's, as you might imagine, a cajun inspired upscale resteraunt. In Cedar Falls, you really can't go wrong downtown, although I wasn't real impressed with Montage the one time we went there.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
CU in downtown Waterloo is about the closest equivalent in my mind. Galleria de Paco downton is very nice, very fancy (multi-course meals and everything)...expensive though. Roux Orleans is pretty nice downtown, it's, as you might imagine, a cajun inspired upscale resteraunt. In Cedar Falls, you really can't go wrong downtown, although I wasn't real impressed with Montage the one time we went there.

A favorite of my wife and I.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Montage blows.

I couldnt disagree more, the times I have eaten at Montage it has been very good. Also, my gf's parents own Sub City on the Hill, stop by there and you will eat one of the best sandwiches you have ever had!

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions, everyone! I appreciate it. I'll have to try out CU sometime.

What is the Cafe in Somerset like? Give me some examples of what type of food and I'll do my best

The Cafe is a nice little restaurant that has a cafe feel, but is a full restaurant, not just cafe sandwiches and coffee. Their menu is very creative, and changes fairly often (every couple of weeks or so). They like to use a lot of local meat and veggies in their dishes. For example of a couple of things I've had, one time for their Sunday brunch I got an "Italian Eggs Benedict", which was fantastic... had a variety of mediterranean veggies on it, plus great hollandaise sauce that had an extra twist to it. Another meal (this for dinner), I had was their special espresso-rubbed tri-tip steak, also great.

Anyways, if you haven't been there, and are around Ames sometime, I highly recommend it. And for what you get, very reasonable prices.

BEHOLD! THE POWER OF THE INTERWEBS!

Yelp | Search Businesses In Waterloo

Yes, yes, I am familiar with yelp. But I wanted to ask around on this site from people who maybe know both the Ames and Cedar Valley area, and could give me a recommendation on what a similar place might be. But thanks anyways for the, albeit sarcastic, suggestion.
And speaking of yelp, Broodwich, I noticed that the most recent review which appeared for "The Cafe" in Ames happens to have the same avatar as you... coincidence? :biggrin:

danrog

Jan 19, 2008
Seattle
I couldnt disagree more, the times I have eaten at Montage it has been very good. Also, my gf's parents own Sub City on the Hill, stop by there and you will eat one of the best sandwiches you have ever had!

yum. grew up in cf and love going there when i go back.

BCPanther

Jul 13, 2009
Waterloo
Agreed on Montage not being very good.

Bourbon Street on Main in CF is out of this world. Also agree on CU, its great. Also really like the Pump Haus on Main in CF...

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Agreed on Montage not being very good.

Bourbon Street on Main in CF is out of this world. Also agree on CU, its great. Also really like the Pump Haus on Main in CF...

I LOVE pump haus as far as a drinking bar, but can't say their food ever impressed me, not bad though. Been some great local stuff in this thread and I'm sure that's what the OP is looking for but Texas Roadhouse is always there on University too, not to mention the crappy Bonanza went out and Buffalo Wild Wings is moving in!

BCPanther

Jul 13, 2009
Waterloo
I LOVE pump haus as far as a drinking bar, but can't say their food ever impressed me, not bad though. Been some great local stuff in this thread and I'm sure that's what the OP is looking for but Texas Roadhouse is always there on University too, not to mention the crappy Bonanza went out and Buffalo Wild Wings is moving in!

You, my friend, have never tried The Viking. What a great chicken sandwich smothered in about everything they can find...

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny

Can I get a free sub?

Bourbon Street is by far my favorite.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
For downtown try out Pump Haus and Toad's. Both very good. Other local places I like are Beck's and the OP (Other Place). Both have locations on the hill or on University. Beck's is a great sports bar and OP has really good pizza.