Meet the new Leonard Johnson

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Can't wait to see Leonard have that break out year we all think he can. He is growing up right before our eyes. I look for some serious highlights from him this year.

We may, conceivably, have 2 first team all conference DB's on this team. I'd guess that hasn't happened in a very long team. Plus Benton and O'Connell are solid, experienced players as well. We actually have a fairly talented defensive backfield.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
2 years ago I thought LJ was one of the only players we had that resembled a Big 12 player. Great to hear he is working hard on and off the field. He will have a chance to be an NFL player.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Nice! Hopefully he can take some Kick returns this year.

Personally, I want my defensive MVP candidates (LJ and Sims) as far away from Kick returning as possible. I know LJ can be a game breaker back there, but it is not worth the injury risk. We need him on D a lot more. Lets let back up WRs and RBs take the returning duties instead of risking the core of our defense.

My $.02

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
For the ISU defense to be somewhat successful, LJ needs to be at shut-down corner level and a ball-hawk. Can't afford him to be overthinking plays or letting his emotions get the best of him.

If the maturity has improved, he's gonna be dangerous out there.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Personally, I want my defensive MVP candidates (LJ and Sims) as far away from Kick returning as possible. I know LJ can be a game breaker back there, but it is not worth the injury risk. We need him on D a lot more. Lets let back up WRs and RBs take the returning duties instead of risking the core of our defense.

My $.02

Yeah, this always makes for a good debate. Its like when Mizzou was using Maclin as a kick returner. I can never decide if that is a good idea. Although, it sure seemed like it when he took one to the house against Northwestern in their bowl game that year. Northwestern finally kicked it to him right before half. Oops.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Yeah, this always makes for a good debate. Its like when Mizzou was using Maclin as a kick returner. I can never decide if that is a good idea. Although, it sure seemed like it when he took one to the house against Northwestern in their bowl game that year. Northwestern finally kicked it to him right before half. Oops.

What about that kid we got from Omaha? Ran like a 4.2? I thought he'd have a shot at KR duties.

EDIT: I'm thinking of Teddy Lampkin and I believe he won't be here til next year. My bad.

Cystate22

Apr 11, 2006
Reinbeck, Iowa
I would prefer to not have LJ or Sims return kicks and give that shot to some of your incoming freshmen WR's Jarvis West, Albert Gary, RB Shontrelle Johnson, and I was impressed with Josh Lenz last year. Those are the guys I would like to see back there.