Help! Roof Repairs Needed!

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
My roof is leaking this morning in one small spot. I think the big wind storm a couple weeks back probably blew some shingles off and I didn't notice until we got all of this rain this morning.

Can someone recommend a roofing company that will do a good job at fixing a small spot?

Thanks!

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
My roof is leaking this morning in one small spot. I think the big wind storm a couple weeks back probably blew some shingles off and I didn't notice until we got all of this rain this morning.

Can someone recommend a roofing company that will do a good job at fixing a small spot?

Thanks!

If you were in Ames, I'd recommend Kruckenberg Roofing/Construction Roofers Ames, IA - Kruckenberg Roofing & Construction LC They do travel to surrounding areas, so you could still consider them.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
I need someone fast before the leak gets worse.

I guess I'm not sure what the weather is even supposed to do today.

If you have a ladder and are handy enough you might go up and check it out...if there are shingles missing you can figure out how much of an area you need repaired and call a few places to get an idea how much it will cost before they come out...

If it's something smaller you might be able to just blackjack it yourself too...

I sympathize with you, our chimney started leaking into my 3 year old's closet and scaring the crap out of him in the past week or two...I was up on the roof last night fixing it before we got dumped on and am pleased to report no leakage this morning :yes:

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
If you have a ladder and are handy enough you might go up and check it out...if there are shingles missing you can figure out how much of an area you need repaired and call a few places to get an idea how much it will cost before they come out...

If it's something smaller you might be able to just blackjack it yourself too...

I sympathize with you, our chimney started leaking into my 3 year old's closet and scaring the crap out of him in the past week or two...I was up on the roof last night fixing it before we got dumped on and am pleased to report no leakage this morning :yes:

I probably could fix it myself. I have no time and it is worth it to me to have pro come do it so I have some form of guarantee it won't happen again.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I probably could fix it myself. I have no time and it is worth it to me to have pro come do it so I have some form of guarantee it won't happen again.

You can expect to get a guarantee on a new or a replacement roof. I highly doubt that anyone will issue a guarantee on a patch job of an existing roof since their could be some underlying problems. The odds of the fix being successful will be better with the pro, but all that you can expect him to guarantee are that the materials that he uses are not defective and that he installed them properly.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
You can expect to get a guarantee on a new or a replacement roof. I highly doubt that anyone will issue a guarantee on a patch job of an existing roof since their could be some underlying problems. The odds of the fix being successful will be better with the pro, but all that you can expect him to guarantee are that the materials that he uses are not defective and that he installed them properly.

True. But I can see where the leak is. If there is still a leak next time after a professional "repairs" it, I wouldn't expect to pay to have the same pro come finish the job he should have done the first time.

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
True. But I can see where the leak is. If there is still a leak next time after a professional "repairs" it, I wouldn't expect to pay to have the same pro come finish the job he should have done the first time.

Water can run from a long ways off. They may come out to replace the missing shingles, but that is not to say that there are other areas that are letting water in and it is just running to that area.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

I've dealt with enough roofing contractors both on commercial and residential jobs to be confident that you won't get what you are expecting to get. That said, I'd hire the best guy that you can find and hope that the fix works. If it doesn't, it will be your choice to either keep paying to fix it again or decide that the roof is not in good enough condition to expect a patch repair to be successful.