Iowa State was going to the Big East?

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
The media types would have you believe that ISU was headed to th MWC or MAC. Some of us stated the Big East had shown interest. Kinda looks like the Big East was serious about extending an offer to ISU, KSU, KU and Mizzou.

Not surprised to see the media ignore this

Bow before the 20-team Big East - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN

"At the time, most assumed Kansas would attempt to get into the Big Ten or the Mountain West, with a few rumors here and there about a geographically confusing move to the Big East. Apparently, those rumors had something to them, as the Big East considered adding Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and Missouri if the Big 12 dissolved. From Adam Zagoria:
“For the 24 hours where it looked like they were leaving [the Big 12], then this idea had legs,” the source said Tuesday at Big East football media day. Added Big East Commissioner John Marinatto: “I think all other conferences had, in the event that the whole Texas move to the Pac-10 occurred, plans in place as to what we were doing and planning that way….I think all of the conferences were prepared to react accordingly.”"

Sorry if posted already

Last edited:

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Old News....

I'm more interested in who is going to join BYU in the new Big XII.

First this was reported yesterday and is the first time the Big East has publicly stated they were going to offer those four.

Second Not going to happen. the $$$ doesn't pan out

Last edited:

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I still say go to the Big East if the blow-up begins again. Excellent BB Conference, and we would still have our main rivals in place for FB. Bring KU-KSU and MU with us.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
Taz, not to be disrespectful, but we are in the BIGXII and what might have happened doesn't matter at this point.

Lets just focus on winning the BIGXII so the next time the conference is about to fall apart we have some say in our future and we don't freak out.

LZclone

Oct 2, 2008
Mahomet IL via Laurens IA
First this was reported yesterday and is the first time the Big East has publicly stated they were going to offer those four.

I agree it is interesting that this came out yesterday, and like you my 1st thought was why it took so long, but since it never panned out my second thought was who cares.

As far as the Big XII being the Big 12 and not 10, I disagree. If the networks are going to honor their contracts, which include a Championship game, eventually they are going to require that game to be played and that means 10 teams. IMO... THE ONLY way the Big XII survives to see 2014 is the addition of two more teams.

So BYU and who?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
As far as the Big XII being the Big 12 and not 10, I disagree. If the networks are going to honor their contracts, which include a Championship game, eventually they are going to require that game to be played and that means 10 teams. IMO... THE ONLY way the Big XII survives to see 2014 is the addition of two more teams.

The TV contracts which are presently paying for the championship game expire shortly, so the championship game is a non-factor. The new contracts will simply be negotiated without a championship game.

If the conference can get a lucrative TV deal with 10 teams, there is no reason to expand.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I agree it is interesting that this came out yesterday, and like you my 1st thought was why it took so long, but since it never panned out my second thought was who cares.

So BYU and who?
The Networks honored the contract without a championship game because Beebe promised them a 9 game conference schedule. So instead of 8 weeks of conference games and a Championship game, they get 8 weeks +1 more week which would mean the option to choose from 6 conference games. Considering we usually have 4 televised games, I am assuming the networks see $$4 games$$$ as greater than $$one championship$$$. Or atleast equal. The agreement was for the remainder of the contracts which is only a few years. The new contract will be worth a lot more $$$ just based on market value. The networks (Fox/ESPN/ABC) did this because when Nebbie and CU left, the contract would have had to be renegotiated and they most likely would have had to pay market value or lose the contract. FOX can't afford to lose the Big 12 as they lost the ACC and Turner Sports is making a push.

Somone needs to tell me why BYU would get the offer? If they bring that much $$$ to the plate then why didn't they get an offer to the PAC 10 instead of Utah? Was it because they wouldn't accept due to religious concerns?

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Taz, not to be disrespectful, but we are in the BIGXII and what might have happened doesn't matter at this point.

Lets just focus on winning the BIGXII so the next time the conference is about to fall apart we have some say in our future and we don't freak out.
Sorry, but just this weekend I had some idiots asking me if I would have preferred the MWC, MAC, or the Iowa conference. I tried to tell them we would have ended up inthe Big East but they wouldn't believe it. Of course, they get their info from the two buffoons with radio shows in Des Moines.

Most on here believe the conference realignment issue will come back in a couple of years as soon as our contracts are up. So I thought it was nice to point out that we will have a home if the Big 12 -2 actually dissolves. It could help calm the Chicken Little's of the board.

I also thought it was an interesting topic to discuss. A little more interesting than "Norton Anitvirus, canoeing, Vote yes on the waterpark, computer help, etc etc, etc." But if you find those more interesting then just don't click on this thread.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
The Networks honored the contract without a championship game because Beebe promised them a 9 game conference schedule. So instead of 8 weeks of conference games and a Championship game, they get 8 weeks +1 more week which would mean the option to choose from 6 conference games. Considering we usually have 4 televised games, I am assuming the networks see $$4 games$$$ as greater than $$one championship$$$. Or atleast equal. The agreement was for the remainder of the contracts which is only a few years. The new contract will be worth a lot more $$$ just based on market value. The networks (Fox/ESPN/ABC) did this because when Nebbie and CU left, the contract would have had to be renegotiated and they most likely would have had to pay market value or lose the contract. FOX can't afford to lose the Big 12 as they lost the ACC and Turner Sports is making a push.

Somone needs to tell me why BYU would get the offer? If they bring that much $$$ to the plate then why didn't they get an offer to the PAC 10 instead of Utah? Was it because they wouldn't accept due to religious concerns?[/QUOTE]

From what I heard it was Stanford and Cal that had a problem with bringing a religious school into the fold. Which also forced the hand of the Pac 10 to go and get CU.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE

Because this site (or any sports forum) would have so much content if we didn't discuss hypotheticals?

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Sorry, but just this weekend I had some idiots asking me if I would have preferred the MWC, MAC, or the Iowa conference. I tried to tell them we would have ended up inthe Big East but they wouldn't believe it. Of course, they get their info from the two buffoons with radio shows in Des Moines.

Most on here believe the conference realignment issue will come back in a couple of years as soon as our contracts are up. So I thought it was nice to point out that we will have a home if the Big 12 -2 actually dissolves. It could help calm the Chicken Little's of the board.

I also thought it was an interesting topic to discuss. A little more interesting than "Norton Anitvirus, canoeing, Vote yes on the waterpark, computer help, etc etc, etc." But if you find those more interesting then just don't click on this thread.

Still don't think we would have ended up in the Big East. The AD didn't like that option.

Option 1 was to maintain the B12 and add teamsmerge from the MWC.

Option 2 was likely the Big East.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Somone needs to tell me why BYU would get the offer?

Several have been asking the same question. No one has provided a good answer, but yet some have declared BYU as a lock for the Big 12. Supposedly they have a large national following and could bring TV viewers to a Big 12 network, although no one has posted any evidence to support that claim. In another thread, I did a quick calculation showing that their non-con revenue is likely smaller than ISU's. Their athletic budget certainly doesn't indicate revenue consistent with a large national following.

It's hard to see how adding BYU to the Big 12 would maintain or increase the revenue of the other ten schools. Someone needs to demonstrate how adding BYU will not decrease the revenue of the other ten schools. If that can't be demonstrated, then it makes no sense for the other schools to vote on adding BYU to the conference.

Last edited:

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010

If Des Moines radio would quit hiring blowhards from Boston, we might get somewhere. Perrault has a buddy at the Big East who told him what he thought/knew and Perrault will NEVER consider that info was incorrect. Because he's from Boston and by default, smarter than us.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I still say go to the Big East if the blow-up begins again. Excellent BB Conference, and we would still have our main rivals in place for FB. Bring KU-KSU and MU with us.

I don't think going to the Big East would be a long term solution. It would still be the worst BCS football conference and there's no way a conference whose marquee team is West Virginia will be able to land a big TV deal. Also I would think its only a matter of time before a 20 team basketball conference falls apart. There's already been rumors of the non D-1 football playing schools breaking off and forming there own conference.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Several have been asking the same question. No one has provided a good answer, but yet some have declared BYU as a lock for the Big 12. Supposedly they have a large national following and could bring TV viewers to a Big 12 network, although no one has posted any evidence to support that claim. In another thread, I did a quick calculation showing that their non-con revenue is likely smaller than ISU's. Their athletic budget certainly doesn't indicate revenue consistent with a large national following.

It's hard to see how adding BYU to the Big 12 would maintain or increase the revenue of the other ten schools. Someone needs to demonstrate how adding BYU will not decrease the revenue of the other ten schools. If that can't be demonstrated, then it makes no sense for the other schools to vote on adding BYU to the conference.
I don't see a Big 12 Network ever happening with Texas trying to start their own netwrok and claiming their own TV rights. That means they would have to either pay Texas for the rights of have a network that doesn't include Texas.

Agree on BYU as well. The rise of Utah has hurt them and the size of their fanbase. They used to rule the state and the Mormon affiliation. The state of Utah actually has a lower population than Iowa by about 300,000. That population is split between two universities similar to Iowa. So when people talk about TV sets, I think they overestimate the $$$ associated with BYU.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I don't think going to the Big East would be a long term solution. It would still be the worst BCS football conference and there's no way a conference whose marquee team is West Virginia will be able to land a big TV deal. Also I would think its only a matter of time before a 20 team basketball conference falls apart. There's already been rumors of the non D-1 football playing schools breaking off and forming there own conference.
You must remember the TV deal would be marketed as FB, MBB, and WBB similar to the way the ACC did it. The new Big East would be the best basketball conference and networks would want a piece of it. The Big East could start its own network and have a larger footprint than any conference. The footprint would cover the entire East Coast from Virginia North, Florida, the Rust Belt, the Corn Belt, Chicago and Milwaukee.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Still don't think we would have ended up in the Big East. The AD didn't like that option.

Option 1 was to maintain the B12 and add teamsmerge from the MWC.

Option 2 was likely the Big East.

Didn't say that we would have chosen the Big East over the Big 12 nor did the article. Was just pointing out that ISU had/has a place toland if the Big 12 dissolved. And the Big East is hands down better than anythign else that was out there.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
You must remember the TV deal would be marketed as FB, MBB, and WBB similar to the way the ACC did it. The new Big East would be the best basketball conference and networks would want a piece of it. The Big East could start its own network and have a larger footprint than any conference. The footprint would cover the entire East Coast from Virginia North, Florida, the Rust Belt, the Corn Belt, Chicago and Milwaukee.

The money isn't in MBB and WBB, it's in football. The ACC has Florida St, Miami, Va Tech all of who are more of a national draw than anyone in the Big East. And the more teams you add to the conference in basketball, the more you dilute the long established rivalries. With 20 teams in the conference, you're not going to be able to get Uconn-'Cuse or G'town-Nova twice a year, every year anymore.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo

i disagree, the dollars could work out if a top tier team with national following would join the big twelve....say such as Norte Dame....

Help Support Us

Become a patron