Garage Door Remotes and Thieves

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
So someone broke into my truck and ransacked it.

He or she stole my garage door opener. Thus, I need to replace it with new ones. Anyone ever had to replace a remote(s)? Recommendations?

Thanks!

PS: If it was you it would be a good idea to leave the country with hopes that I never find out it was you.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Just get a generic universal remote opener. Make sure to reset the door opener itself and then program the universal remote and it'll be fine.

You can usually get a remote from the same brand as your opener, but it isn't necessary.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008

He or she stole my garage door opener. Thus, I need to replace it with new ones. Anyone ever had to replace a remote(s)? Recommendations?

Thanks!

PS: If it was you it would be a good idea to leave the country with hopes that I never find out it was you.

temperflare
I believe you.:jimlad:

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

Thanks!

Sorry to hear about the crap that you are having to deal with. No real advise, but at least you have an appropriate user name if you do find out who the culprit is.

Colossus

Jan 16, 2010
That really sucks man.

I replaced one of my remotes this summer. I was surprised how easy was to reprogram. Any hoodlum with 20 seconds in my open garage could sync a universal remote without my knowledge and could essentially have a working key into my house.

Yikes!

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado

Thanks!

Sorry if I'm repeating - don't have time to read entire thread...

There is one button on you garage opener that resets it and locks out all remotes. So at least your thief won't be able to get into your house as well. Press that and start fresh by reprogramming the remotes you still have.

Any home improvement store will carry generic or universal remotes. I'd suggest getting your make and model and googling for what remotes will work with it.

Hope this helps.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
Just get a generic universal remote opener. Make sure to reset the door opener itself and then program the universal remote and it'll be fine.

You can usually get a remote from the same brand as your opener, but it isn't necessary.

Awesome... I'll pick something up today.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
Sorry if I'm repeating - don't have time to read entire thread...

There is one button on you garage opener that resets it and locks out all remotes. So at least your thief won't be able to get into your house as well. Press that and start fresh by reprogramming the remotes you still have.

Any home improvement store will carry generic or universal remotes. I'd suggest getting your make and model and googling for what remotes will work with it.

Hope this helps.

That's a good start. Thank you sir!

breck53

Aug 29, 2008

Thanks!

If you are worried about this again the newer garage door openers have 'rolling remote codes" so that one code does not open your door-it's different each time its pressed. Just sayin! Don't know if the one stolen was newer or not but its worth checking out to see what you had.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
If you are worried about this again the newer garage door openers have 'rolling remote codes" so that one code does not open your door-it's different each time its pressed. Just sayin! Don't know if the one stolen was newer or not but its worth checking out to see what you had.

if it was a newer one those remotes are expensive to replace, in the $40-$50 each range.

The older ones with just the learn button should run you $25-$35 each. Or if you have one like cyclone pride I think you may be SOL cause I have not seen those for sale in ages.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
That really sucks man.

I replaced one of my remotes this summer. I was surprised how easy was to reprogram. Any hoodlum with 20 seconds in my open garage could sync a universal remote without my knowledge and could essentially have a working key into my house.

Yikes!
This is why I reset my remotes at least once a year. I don't think most people realize how easy it is to steal your garage code. You leave your garage open for a few minutes a thief can come in, press two buttons and have access to your house anytime he wants it.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
I manage a garage door business. From my experience you should replace your remote with the brand you currently have. The universal remotes do not always work with every brand out there. As far as clearing out all codes and starting over most require pushing the learn button on the operator head for at least 10-20 seconds. This will completely wipe out all existing codes. You will then need to reprogram all of your remotes and outside keyless entry (if you have one). Follow the specific directions in your owner's manual. If you do not have one most can be found online. PM me if you need any questions answered.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
This is why I reset my remotes at least once a year. I don't think most people realize how easy it is to steal your garage code. You leave your garage open for a few minutes a thief can come in, press two buttons and have access to your house anytime he wants it.

Unless, of course, your garage is not connected to your house. :wink:

My house has no snout. :yes:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron