Recruiting

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
Are you a new fan or something? We usually have no recruits, maybe one or two by now.

Well you look at teams like Indiana who have almost their entire class full by and our program is by far better than Indiana's

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Until we upgrade our defensive talent, we won't likely see any more success than we had last year. Hopefully Paul can get some bigger LB's that can grow into DE's, some DE's that can grow into DL. Some DL/TE's that can grow into OL.

That is where we'll need to build this program. The front 7 on D and the OL.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Is anyone concerned that we only have six commits at the end of July?
No it is normal. No one from out of state wants to commit until they see the campus. once they visit (during gamedays) they commit. CPR has a 95%+ closing rate on recruits that visit campus. As did chizdick. And before you point out other teams, we recruit Florida, Texas and California heavily. Those kids will travel further to get here then anyone we are recruiting against. That and a lot of the kids a) have no idea where Iowa is located, b) think we are nothing but cornfields

Last edited:

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Not worried, it is early when we get the visits in during the season, you will see more regular weekly commits.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
Not concerned at all. We will be fine. Like others have said, the key to our recruiting is getting kids on campus for games in the fall. That's when they start to commit in droves.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that we've gotten a few early commits. Even though they're not exceptionally highly ranked by Rivals or Scout, it means that we really wanted these guys enough to offer them scholarships early, so the coaches have them as high on their boards as some of the guys with more stars.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We need to get Christian French or Alex Carr to jump start in-state recruiting - I'm tired of Iowa owning it.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Well you look at teams like Indiana who have almost their entire class full by and our program is by far better than Indiana's
Indiana is also not only a state with somewhat more talent instate than Iowa, they are also in the midst of the recruiting hotbeds of Ohio, Illinois and Michigan.

We need to get Christian French or Alex Carr to jump start in-state recruiting - I'm tired of Iowa owning it.
I would much rather get French simply because he seems an extremely talented kid. Instate recruiting is more a matter of ego than practicality.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Instate recruiting is more a matter of ego than practicality.

It's a ton more than just "ego - just ask CPR, who talked about how critical it is to change the recruiting tide in the state of Iowa at the Coaches Clinic. He used K-State as an example; even though Kansas had few big-time prospects, Snyder's first recruiting priority was to own the state every year, and own KU.
No different here.

JustRedman

Jul 10, 2009
Gilbert
Of course it is concerning when you look at other teams of our caliber that have 15 verbals already, but we don't have the location factor on our side. We are not in a talent hot bed, and often times need to have the kids actually make it here before they can make the call on whether they want to come here to play. I am confident that when kids start making trips up here in the fall to see the game and meet the coaching staff they will start to commit more frequently. I think our last 3 classes with CGC and CPR have been a talent upgrade and I expect CPR's personality to win over some kids and their parents. If we don't have any more commits come November then I will be scared, but that isn't going to happen.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Until we upgrade our defensive talent, we won't likely see any more success than we had last year. Hopefully Paul can get some bigger LB's that can grow into DE's, some DE's that can grow into DL. Some DL/TE's that can grow into OL.

That is where we'll need to build this program. The front 7 on D and the OL.

You don't think our defensive talent is being upgraded? Have you seen the LBs and DBs that are freshmen this year? Klein and Knott? Jake McDonough?

How about the 5 freshmen OL?

Are you a new Cyclone fan or something?

Reactions: CycloneErik