MLB: Cubs and Dodgers Discussing Lilly Trade

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
I like Theriot, but that is not a terrible loss. Losing Lilly who does nothing but pitch excellent games and get screwed by our terrible offense is.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Theriot is awful, can't wait to see him go.

Awful?

He's 4th on the team in average, 4th in runs scored and 2nd in hits - with 3 errors the entire season, and those were probably in that one game last week.

We have that kind of "awful" across the squad and we may very well be leading the division.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Awful?

He's 4th on the team in average, 4th in runs scored and 2nd in hits - with 3 errors the entire season, and those were probably in that one game last week.

We have that kind of "awful" across the squad and we may very well be leading the division.

He also led the team in average last year as well. Just because he doesn't hit for power doesn't mean he is "awful".

And he only makes around $2.5 million I believe. Yep, better trade him only to replace him with someone else making $15+ million and then not produce.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
He also led the team in average last year as well. Just because he doesn't hit for power doesn't mean he is "awful".

He probably does lead the league in "men left on base" - or at least in being one of the men left on. :wink:

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
What part of Theriot's game doesn't scream awful? Is it his .321 OBP or maybe his .329 SLG %? His WAR this year -.1, which is pathetic.

Sorry, he isn't very good. It doesn't do much good if you hit .280 if you can't get past 1st base. I'm sick and tired of Cubs fans overrating him because he is scrappy and "hustles".

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois

And he only makes around $2.5 million I believe. Yep, better trade him only to replace him with someone else making $15+ million and then not produce.

If you aren't going to hit for power, you better be able to get on base at a decent clip. Theriot doesn't do that, at all.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
What part of Theriot's game doesn't scream awful? Is it his .321 OBP or maybe his .329 SLG %? His WAR this year -.1, which is pathetic.

Sorry, he isn't very good. It doesn't do much good if you hit .280 if you can't get past 1st base. I'm sick and tired of Cubs fans overrating him because he is scrappy and "hustles".

If you want to use actual stats...Theriot is one of the better "awful" guys on the team.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
If you aren't going to hit for power, you better be able to get on base at a decent clip. Theriot doesn't do that, at all.

Yeah - his OBP isn't stellar by any strech. Still only 10th on the squad, but there are about 5 regulars in front of him (Soto, Byrd, Lee, Soriano, Castro)

Still don't think that makes him horrid.

I was thinking a few weeks back, who do we really WANT back next year? I'd have to say Theriot is on the short list. But as stated - losing him is far from the end of the world. And in true Cubs tradition, he'll probably get shipped off somewhere and become a 5 time All Star.

But rejoice Cub fans - headline on Cubs.com is announcing Big Z coming back..... :swoon:

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Back to the topic at hand...as a dodger fan losing patience right now, tell me if lilly would add anything to the rotation. And i hope the cubbies aren't expecting MLB ready talent because all those guys are off limits!

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Theriot's offense was fine for a SS. But now that he's moved to 2B I'm not sure his offense will play there. He shouldn't be given away by any means, but if the Cubs can get something of value for him I'd trade him in a heartbeat.

I'd be very disappointed if Lilly didn't get traded. I like Lilly and think the Cubs should consider signing him in the offseason but if you can get some good prospects for him why not do it? It's not like the Cubs are contending. So they'll finish 20 games out rather than 15. Who cares.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I wonder hoe much cash the cubs are going to throw in to make any deal

probably depends on the quality of the prospects they get in return. I can't imagine the Dodgers would do a similar deal they did with the Indians where they gave up Santana in exchange for Cleveland sending money along with Casey Blake. That was a complete disaster.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Back to the topic at hand...as a dodger fan losing patience right now, tell me if lilly would add anything to the rotation. And i hope the cubbies aren't expecting MLB ready talent because all those guys are off limits!

Cubs are still drawing 40k+, they don't need to trade anyone. If they make a deal it will be for a prospect they covet.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron