HCG diet....

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
This outta be fun...

Started the HCG diet a little over 1 week ago. My protocol is a sublingual HCG tab 6 days a week with a low calorie diet (around 800 cal/day). Initial food list is pretty limited but nothing too different than an Atkins thing.

Anyway, I'm impressed thus far. I'm losing (peeing some of it) a little over a pound a day. Before someone tells me its just water weight, obviously some of it is but I also track my fat percentage on my home scale and have found a steady drop in the reported fat percentage.

Certain things are very similar to Atkins or Protein Power but some very different. I wouldn't call this a high protein diet as I only get 7 oz precooked a day but it is low carb. I had the initial brain fog on day 4 but awoke the next day fresh, clean, clear and energized.

I have 2 goals - drop to around 180 pounds (currently at 200) but most importantly get my blood numbers back in shape. While my tris are high, I was most worried about my insulin/glucose response.

For those that just say eat right and exercise - well that does work for some people. I've never weighed more than 215 but its really taking a toll on my 46 yr. old body. I'm fighting genetics and age and psychology and physiology. While I've always been somewhat active, the psychology of seeing a rapidly slimming physique can do nothing but great things.

In a nutshell - its been working for me. No hunger or any other issues other than fitting in pants I haven't been in for a while.

To you guys that have never had any kinds of weight issues, f off!

Once I hit my goal weight I'll post my speedo picture.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
********. I don't know how any intelligent person could think this is a good idea. Starve yourself and take a supplement to trick your body into thinking your not starving, brilliant!

After the speedo pic make sure to post again when you gain the weight back.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
This outta be fun...

Started the HCG diet a little over 1 week ago. My protocol is a sublingual HCG tab 6 days a week with a low calorie diet (around 800 cal/day). Initial food list is pretty limited but nothing too different than an Atkins thing.

Anyway, I'm impressed thus far. I'm losing (peeing some of it) a little over a pound a day. Before someone tells me its just water weight, obviously some of it is but I also track my fat percentage on my home scale and have found a steady drop in the reported fat percentage.

Certain things are very similar to Atkins or Protein Power but some very different. I wouldn't call this a high protein diet as I only get 7 oz precooked a day but it is low carb. I had the initial brain fog on day 4 but awoke the next day fresh, clean, clear and energized.

I have 2 goals - drop to around 180 pounds (currently at 200) but most importantly get my blood numbers back in shape. While my tris are high, I was most worried about my insulin/glucose response.

For those that just say eat right and exercise - well that does work for some people. I've never weighed more than 215 but its really taking a toll on my 46 yr. old body. I'm fighting genetics and age and psychology and physiology. While I've always been somewhat active, the psychology of seeing a rapidly slimming physique can do nothing but great things.

In a nutshell - its been working for me. No hunger or any other issues other than fitting in pants I haven't been in for a while.

To you guys that have never had any kinds of weight issues, f off!

Once I hit my goal weight I'll post my speedo picture.
As a roommate of a couple personal trainers and hearing entirely too much about nutrition on a daily basis, be careful coming off this diet. Your body will probably be in somewhat of a starvation mode and store any excess calories as fat immediately because it is not expecting to get those extra calories in the future.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
But yes, I think all nutritionists and trainers would advise that this diet is a bad idea to begin with.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Not to mention you will just gain the weight back once you go off of it.
This is exactly what will happen. Obviously this "diet" isn't a sustainable lifestyle, it doesn't teach you habits that you will be able to continue on a regular basis, so when it's over, here comes Chunky!

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
********. I don't know how any intelligent person could think this is a good idea. Starve yourself and take a supplement to trick your body into thinking your not starving, brilliant!

After the speedo pic make sure to post again when you gain the weight back.

I did a 1000 cal diet that worked really well. Cut out the caffeine...drink plenty of water...workout and eat small meals every 2 to 2.5 hours. I dropped nearly a pound a day as well. Unfortunately it didn't stay off!

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
An 800 calorie a day "diet" with low carbs is irresponsible and you will suffer muscle loss as well as fat loss. The brain needs carbs, as well as the body for energy.
People who go on these mystical plans need them for entertainment to keep their attention, as the next shiny thing.
Eating right and exercising is too boring I guess. No one said it's easy, either.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I did a 1000 cal diet that worked really well. Cut out the caffeine...drink plenty of water...workout and eat small meals every 2 to 2.5 hours. I dropped nearly a pound a day as well. Unfortunately it didn't stay off!
Shocking!

I'm not saying this "diet" won't work, obviously you'll lose weight if you starve yourself.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'm a sport trainer and would not recommend this diet. Using a weight loss supplement isn't a long term solution. After you stop, your weight will more than likely go right back to where it was, as is the same with any type of sports/diet supplements.
It's best to make lifestyle changes, if you want long term health benefits.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Using a supplement to lose 20 lbs is just lazy. Not to mention you will just gain the weight back once you go off of it.

Not always. It can give some folks a starting from zero type ambition. My problem right now is getting the belly fat off, its hard friggen work and I would love to be able to start from zero again. I would maintain that. HCG scares me though. Messing with the body bodies natural workings is a scary though.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Not always. It can give some folks a starting from zero type ambition. My problem right now is getting the belly fat off, its hard friggen work and I would love to be able to start from zero again. I would maintain that. HCG scares me though. Messing with the body bodies natural workings is a scary though.
It is hard work, I've lost 45 pounds since March and I'm not where I'd like to be, but my diet is something that I'm completely comfortable with and can live with for a long time. It's definitely a long haul, but if you can stick with it for a couple weeks you'll see results that make you want to stick it out longer.

Reactions: BryceC

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
From what I know about HCG is that pregnant women have that hormone, and that it has also been linked to Tumors as well (not 100% sure)

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
It is hard work, I've lost 45 pounds since March and I'm not where I'd like to be, but my diet is something that I'm completely comfortable with and can live with for a long time. It's definitely a long haul, but if you can stick with it for a couple weeks you'll see results that make you want to stick it out longer.
Well, you're ahead of 95% of people who have a goal in sight. Impatience is the worst thing you can have when it comes to losing weight. There is no good, sustainable way to lose weight (short of surgery) in a hurry, and diet pills will only be effective if you feel like using them the rest of your life.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
From what I know about HCG is that pregnant women have that hormone, and that it has also been linked to Tumors as well (not 100% sure)
That was my first thought: hGC is what pregnancy tests detect.

For the average person, ANY diet under 1200 calories is going to be unsustainable and generally unhealthy. Your body needs a minimum number of calories for basic functioning. Obviously, some can get away with a smaller amount, but for the long-term it's not advised.

FTR, I'm not a nutritionist, but I am female and therefore have been on just about every diet known to man. The one that's worked the best? Limiting my calories (not excessively - anywhere from 1500-2000/day depending on my desired weight loss goals) via healthier food choices and exercise.

Reactions: jumbopackage

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
My suggestion is to go to myapex.com, spend $200 and get a bodybugg. You wear it, it gives you an idea of how many calories you burn and gives you a place to log what you are eating. The program makes recommendations on how many calories you should be taking in versus what you are actually burning.
I am wearing mine right now..I have lost and kept off 80 pounds...now I am working on losing the last 40 or so pounds.

Burning fat isn't a mystery...it is calories consumed versus calories burned. You still need to eat, but balance it with burning more. Eating smart versus eating for the sake of getting in calories is big too.

I wish you good luck!

Reactions: BryceC

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I love people that think there's a magic pill for everything. Get off your lazy *** and go work out like normal people.

Last edited:

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
12 pounds in 30 days so far!

My diet plan is eating less fast food (Never did much anyway, if fast food, jimmy johns lettuce wraps) or taking my lunches to work (Love mexican food, too many chips and salsa, eating less overall (Light breakfast/slim fast...but eating something each meal, smaller portions and more vegtables), leaving bread alone (I love bread) back off the beer during the week and riding my bike hard for 12-17 miles, 4-6 times a week. Ride my bike to the store or down the block and when driving my car park away from all of the DOOR DINGERS.

Lost 12 pounds in a month. From 203 to 191 as of this morning,

Z

Reactions: CycloneErik

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
hcg as in human chorionic gonadotrophin? That is the hormone released when a woman is pregnant. I thought that was used to regulate progesterone levels. Why are people taking that to lose weight? Seems kinda scary for men to be taking this.