Lake Delhi Dam Compromised

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
CyforPresident said:
This is a pretty ****** deal, especially with the county fair down river in Monticello.

I had the same thought last night. When/if it does reach Monticello I know that the golf course has the potential to be submerged underwater which is most of the parking for fair goers. However, I don't know how the water could get to the stage if that were to happen.

tleonwdm

Apr 13, 2006
WDM
How close is this to the actual fairgrounds? My son is leaving this am for their annual trip to "geezer rock @ Jones County fair outing". Suppose to see Styx, Joan Jett and Grand Funk Railroad tonight. I have heard of an "upper level of the fairgrounds" and a "lower level". Anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
How close is this to the actual fairgrounds? My son is leaving this am for their annual trip to "geezer rock @ Jones County fair outing". Suppose to see Styx, Joan Jett and Grand Funk Railroad tonight. I have heard of an "upper level of the fairgrounds" and a "lower level". Anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

That concert has been cancelled.

tleonwdm

Apr 13, 2006
WDM
Tornado Man. Thank you! Just checked the Jones Co. Fair website and saw the same news. Boys just about ready to leave when I saw your response.

beatiowa

Dec 21, 2008
Berkeley, CA
A friend of mine is at his cabin on Lake Delhi and said he saw a house on the back side of the dam literally split in half and fall into the water. Crazy stuff.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Here is a link to the Jones county police fie and ems...sadly it has linn cedar and johnson with it too but jones is the most active.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=837

State Patrol plane reported a little bit ago that the wall of water was a couple miles north of hopkinton and had large amounts of debris in it including boats and whole houses.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Here is a link to the Jones county police fie and ems...sadly it has linn cedar and johnson with it too but jones is the most active.

Jones County, Iowa (IA) Live Police, Fire, and EMS Scanners on RadioReference.com

State Patrol plane reported a little bit ago that the wall of water was a couple miles north of hopkinton and had large amounts of debris in it including boats and whole houses.

KCRG reported that a propane tank exploded as it floated past the preached dam and sent a massive fire ball into the air.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just some crazy stuff....

Looks like record flows + no emergency spillway = eroded embankment. Sounds like the local managers were on top of the situation and got the warning out. Once the gates are wide open and the lake still rises over the embankment you are pretty much done as far as control, which is why a lot of the older Corps of Engineer dams have had emergency spillways added for just his situation.