Lutz article in OWH

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneJames

Dec 1, 2009
Ankeny
Pretty good article. Its sad when the Omaha paper gives better articles about cyclone sports than the rag. Hopefully the OWH will continue to cover cyclone sports after Nebraska leaves for the Big 10.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Pretty good article. Its sad when the Omaha paper gives better articles about cyclone sports than the rag. Hopefully the OWH will continue to cover cyclone sports after Nebraska leaves for the Big 10.

I was going to say the same thing. I read OWH articles on ISU sports more often than Rag articles.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
I'll be happy if we can hold onto him for more than a year, seems like we really lucked into this guy.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

Yep, we had a full pager some years ago. Its called quality journalism. Most of their sports pages are fantastic. Maybe they have more money to pay for that quality.

moo-u

Apr 12, 2006
sheldon
Yep, we had a full pager some years ago. Its called quality journalism. Most of their sports pages are fantastic. Maybe they have more money to pay for that quality.

Neither quality nor making money are in the least bit accidental. I have no
idea how much money the REG makes, but don't think they don't have
"quality" in their journalism. They have tons of quality in every story they
print. It's just that their quality sucks BIGTIME.

If they (the OWH) have more money, it's simply because their specific management
has CHOSEN to hold their "journalists" to a higher standard of "quality" writing to begin with.

like Zenith used to say, "the quality goes in before the name goes on."

Most everyone I know stopped reading anything from the DMREG so long ago
that, to be honest, I'm not much of a judge of their "quality". But, thanks to
the comments from the overwhelming majority of the posters that DO choose
to keep torturing themselves by going there, I find it easy to not be tempted to follow suit.

Sides, I "waste" enough time here :)+) the way it is!

Now, I better get back to work or mama Moo will be crabby about the "quality"
AND quantity of her new sheetrock.

carry on!

m.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Look at who wrote the article - Bobby La Gesse who is the sports editor for the Ames Tribune, which is owned by the Omaha World Herald. If you look at a lot of the articles in the OWH, they are from one of the sports guys at the Tribune. The OWH is using their resources in Ames to cover ISU for the people in Omaha and western Iowa who get the OWH.

I do agree the OWH is a better paper hands down. The RAG is so concerned with doing video programs and trying to see how high tech they can be, and their comments section is out of control, but they love that. I rarely read the RAG and don't miss it.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I wonder if the OWH will shift to covering more Hawkeye sports when Nebbie moves to the Big 10 after this season?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I was going to say the same thing. I read OWH articles on ISU sports more often than Rag articles.
OWH is Cy heavy up until the Nebby game is played, then it drops off for awhile. Lee Barfnecht is helping sell our story.

Yes, OWH will have Hawk articles when the move is made. Darn.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Look at who wrote the article - Bobby La Gesse who is the sports editor for the Ames Tribune, which is owned by the Omaha World Herald. If you look at a lot of the articles in the OWH, they are from one of the sports guys at the Tribune. The OWH is using their resources in Ames to cover ISU for the people in Omaha and western Iowa who get the OWH.

I do agree the OWH is a better paper hands down. The RAG is so concerned with doing video programs and trying to see how high tech they can be, and their comments section is out of control, but they love that. I rarely read the RAG and don't miss it.
The Rag has diminished in the last twenty years.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I wonder if the OWH will shift to covering more Hawkeye sports when Nebbie moves to the Big 10 after this season?

Safe assumption. They set a goal when the Big 12 was formed to provide the most complete newspaper coverage of Big 12 sports, not just Nebraska. I haven't heard of any official policy shift, but the emphasis starting next year will almost certainly be on the Big 10.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
That is the exact same article from the ames trib that was published on june 17th. Please continue your discussion of the great owh. Haha.