Stubhub Fees

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
A mini-rant here...I went to buy some bleacher seats for a Cubs game on Stubhub and holy hell, the fees are outrageous! Tickets were $65, I was buying 6. Stubhub "service" fee was $40 and then they tacked on another $5 to "deliver" the tickets electronically. $45 in fees for the ability to buy tickets...

And then I find out the seller also gets hit with a 15% service fee! So Stubhub would get over $100 in fees for this transaction. Ticketmaster called and even they think that's ridiculous!

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Yep - I sold some tix on Stubhub last year. It's a whoopin.

The bad part for the buyer is that the seller can factor the fee into the price. So you're often paying a fee that's a percentage of another fee. (buyer is a %, right?)

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't StubHub owned by Ticketma$ter? Ticketma$ter damn near has to have a monopoly on that market.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
StubHub is a rip off. Anyone trying to get tickets off of StubHub is either a) desperate or b) ********.

Where else do you get them? Most people on eBay think their tickets are worth 2-3x face value. At least on Stubhub the price is pretty decent until you start tacking on all of the fees.

That said, we didn't buy them on Stubhub out of principle.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
That's why I use the "off brand" ticket websites like ticketsforless.com

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Where else do you get them? Most people on eBay think their tickets are worth 2-3x face value. At least on Stubhub the price is pretty decent until you start tacking on all of the fees.

That said, we didn't buy them on Stubhub out of principle.

This is very simple:

a) Get them when they go on sale, or at least before they sell out. You still pay Ticketmaster fees (depending on venue), but don't have the huge markup.

b) Craigslist. Most decent shows, you can find somebody looking to get rid of tickets. I'd rather pad the pockets of an avg Joe paying a little extra than paying premium through Stubhub or similar.

chewbocka

Nov 25, 2009
StubHub chargest the buyer 10% of the price as a fee so the bigger your order the higher the fee. The bleachers I bought from StubHub were still cheaper than buying from cubs.com which has a 12% tourism fee or some nonsense.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Tickets in general have gotten outragous. The fees that get tacked on ontop are rediculous, and are only going to keep getting worse until there is a consumer backlash

So long as people still pay the fees, those fees will exist

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Just checked here...the ticket prices are way high.
Unless it's the hottest ticket in town to the hottest event in town, I wait until the last minute to buy my tickets from them.

I got section 136 (between the 42 and 50 yard line) row 2 tickets from them to the Chargers @ Chiefs game last year for $115 a piece.

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
A few years ago I was 6th in line to buy Buffett tickets. The show was sold out around person #2. We ended up having to buy off Stubhub and it totally rankled me. I snooped around on the web, and found some articles where a congressman, or whatnot, out East had started to take them on, but I don't think it went anywhere.

I think Ticket******* says they're sold out but they just sell them on Stubhub for more profit.

Last edited by a moderator:

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
A few years ago I was 6th in line to buy Buffett tickets. The show was sold out around person #2. We ended up having to buy off Stubhub and it totally rankled me. I snooped around on the web, and found some articles where a congressman, or whatnot, out East had started to take them on, but I don't think it went anywhere.

I think Ticket******* says they're sold out but they just sell them on Stubhub for more profit.

I cannot wait until they start assigning buyer's names to the tickets so they can shut that crap down. I think they did it for a recent Britney Spears concert here last year.

If you want tickets to a Metallica show, you can pretty much forget about paying face value. The scalpers just buy up all the tickets as soon as they go on sale and you're stuck having to pay a premium to get the tickets. Lame. Bands and concert production management companies need to start protecting the people who actually want to attend the concerts from the online scalpers. Its just ridiculous now.

Last edited by a moderator:

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
Unless it's the hottest ticket in town to the hottest event in town, I wait until the last minute to buy my tickets from them.

I got section 136 (between the 42 and 50 yard line) row 2 tickets from them to the Chargers @ Chiefs game last year for $115 a piece.

just gonna through this out there...even though im a chiefs fan...im pretty sure last season they werent the hottest event in town. this year should hopefully be an improvement

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
just gonna through this out there...even though im a chiefs fan...im pretty sure last season they werent the hottest event in town. this year should hopefully be an improvement
Same tickets on Stubhub were $150.

StubHub

Jul 29, 2010

I am reaching out to you from StubHub Executive Customer Care. We have read your question and I would like to explain our service fees and why they are assessed.

At StubHub, we are fans like you and we have created our marketplace to bring fans together to buy and sell tickets. We strive to be the best secondary marketplace for event tickets. We are also an open marketplace, meaning that anyone can list tickets on our site for sale and the listing process itself is free.

When a customer calls our Customer Service Department, they are talking to a live Customer Service Representative. The representatives then assess the situations by answering all questions and take any necessary steps needed to resolve the situation. However, all this work requires man power and has costs incurred to provide. As such StubHub charges a 10% buy fee (a minimum buy fee of $5.00 on orders less than $50.00) and a 15% sell fee to sellers. StubHub is then able to provide the exceptional customer service to our customers when there is an issue that requires our special attention.

I hope this answers any questions regarding the service fees on our site. If you would like to discuss further, please feel free to email me at yourfeedbackmatters@stubhub.com Attn: Sue along with contact information and I will be happy to follow up with you directly.