Computer Help Please

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
To make a long story short, my computer's graphics card melted causing me to format the hard drive and reinstalling windows. (I put in a new graphics card and everything now.)

Problem: My computer won't recognize blank DVD's or CD's. It has no problems recognizing normal discs, but whenever I want to use a blank disc it comes up with an error.
158bhgk.jpg

(Also notice that the Removable Discs are no longer labeled.)

Can somebody please help me?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Your drive may be effed. Do you have another burner somewhere you can swap in and try?

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Your drive may be effed. Do you have another burner somewhere you can swap in and try?
I don't have another burner... Is it possible that the software in the drive is corrupt? Could I reinstall it somehow?

Last edited:

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
"Melting" graphics card shouldn't have required you to format the hard drive...
Also, why did the card "melt"?
It's possible that a bad power supply could have dorked your whole system up, if it was the cause of your graphics card meltdown.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
"Melting" graphics card shouldn't have required you to format the hard drive...
Also, why did the card "melt"?
It's possible that a bad power supply could have dorked your whole system up, if it was the cause of your graphics card meltdown.
The graphics card somehow knocked its fan off and warped itself. That eventually gave me a blue screen I couldn't get around.

Edit: It's a Gateway :no:

Last edited:

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
if you are not having other problems the first thing I would try is swapping out the drive, and as others have said you shouldn't have needed a format after replacing a bad video card. If it did it likely caused other internal problems also.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
The graphics card somehow knocked its fan off and warped itself. That eventually gave me a blue screen I couldn't get around.

Then you still could have replaced the graphics card without having to format anything.

How did you install windows again? Can the disc you are trying to read from be read in other computers?

There isn't really any software for drives. There's some firmware for some of them, but that should really never be a problem.

I agree with swapping another drive in and seeing if that's the problem.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Then you still could have replaced the graphics card without having to format anything.

How did you install windows again? Can the disc you are trying to read from be read in other computers?

There isn't really any software for drives. There's some firmware for some of them, but that should really never be a problem.

I agree with swapping another drive in and seeing if that's the problem.
The blank discs can be read in other computers. Maybe I'll buy a new drive.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
To make a long story short, my computer's graphics card melted causing me to format the hard drive and reinstalling windows. (I put in a new graphics card and everything now.)

Problem: My computer won't recognize blank DVD's or CD's. It has no problems recognizing normal discs, but whenever I want to use a blank disc it comes up with an error.
158bhgk.jpg

(Also notice that the Removable Discs are no longer labeled.)

Can somebody please help me?

Were the removable discs labeled before? My wife's desktop has a built-in card reader that shows up as a set of 4 "removable discs" when no memory cards are inserted. Her computer sees that hardware is there for removable media, but it doesn't see the memory cards (when they're not inserted).

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

Edit: It's a Gateway :no:

There is a good chance it may have caused some shorts. Swap a drive and see what happens. If you start losing parts one by one, you will be looking at a new system. Lets hope it doesnt get that far. Its rare, but it does happen.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
There may have been another internal problem that I was not aware about also. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a virus, but there might have been a corrupt registry that caused the blue screen. (Maybe I just stumbled upon the graphics card after opening it.)

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I was curious if a program like ImgBurn would work though.

There are times I can't get windows to burn something but I can get other programs too. You can try it, but if it is not reading the discs all together I think it is another problem.

kilgore_trout

Nov 10, 2006
Madison, WI
Windows has its own. this is a hardware issue.

It may well be a hardware issue. In my experience, DVD drives do tend to be the flakiest part of a PC. But because the problem coincides with a fresh install of Windows (and the drive reads other discs) makes me think it's a software issue.

Good Luck.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
I believe you have to format a blank disk before it shows up as blank. I may be wrong but try right click format on the blank disc and see what it says.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron