Pavano throws his 5th CG of the year

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Alright Twins fans, Super Pavario just pitched his 5th CG this year, and 7th career shutout, blanking the O's 5 - 0. He's 12-6 on the year with a 3.26 ERA, his WHIP is 1.01 :eek:

Do you want Carl back on the staff after this year? The way he's pitching he'll be able to reel in a healthy new contract next season. I for one want him on the staff, if nothing else, to be the veteran presence on the staff that shows Franchise you don't have to throw your arm out every time you're on the mound.

I hope Carl gives the team a "home town" discount, the Twins desperately need him. The last thing he needs at this point in his career is to demand another NY contract and fall apart again.

A staff of:
Pavano
Liriano
Duensing
Baker
Slowey/Blackburn

the rest of the way I'd be pretty happy with, the top 3 starting in the playoffs if we make it.

RhoadsRage

I AM SO PROUD....
Bookie
Jan 25, 2010
McGregor
I like CP and would want him back if it doesn't break the bank.......still mad that we didn't try harder to get Cliff Lee!!! Would LOVE to get Haren for the stretch run but, as a Twins fan, I know that's TOTALLY unrealistic.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
If its true that they offered Ramos, Ben Revere, and Slowey then I'm glad they didn't go higher than that.

The Mariners just needed pro ready fielders, and Texas gave em what they needed.

The Twins lineup is too thin to lose any of the guys we have in the majors right now.

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
You have Duensing in your playoff rotation without making a start yet this year???

I mean I hope he shows promise tomorrow like the rest of us, but if that's the case going into the playoffs (if they make it) it will probably end like the last few appearances. The Twins need a true #1 to make a legit run, IMO. Not hoping a couple #2's like Pavano and Liriano can pitch like #1's in the playoffs.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
You have Duensing in your playoff rotation without making a start yet this year???

I mean I hope he shows promise tomorrow like the rest of us, but if that's the case going into the playoffs (if they make it) it will probably end like the last few appearances. The Twins need a true #1 to make a legit run, IMO. Not hoping a couple #2's like Pavano and Liriano can pitch like #1's in the playoffs.

Liriano is a #1. Mid 90's heat, filthy slider, above average changeup. He strikes out over 1 per inning, limits walks, induces a lot of grounders. He is tied for the highest WAR(wins over replacement player) in the majors for pitchers. His FIP(fielding independent pitching) is a ludicrously low 2.18, he has all the hallmarks of being an ace in the MLB. Pavano is a serviceable 2nd or 3rd arm in the playoffs, if you looks at the underlying stats he's roughly the same as a Pettite, CJ Wilson, Matt Garza, Phil Hughes, ect.

What needs to happen is either A. Baker or Slowey pitch significantly better as they both have been bad the past month and a half or B. yes the Twins ideally acquire a pitcher. The thing is, how much of the future are your willing to sacrifice in order to make a more serious run at the world series. Oswalt or Haren are top of the line starters but both would cost a lot in terms of prospect and both(though more so for Oswalt) cause finacially difficulties next year when the expensive Mauer contract kicks in and quite a few players are in line for raises. Your other option would be to go after Lily or Ben Sheets like options who would be much cheaper and come with no long term commitment. They are not however, aces and thus are more just useful if you view the Baker, Duensing, Slowey trio to be unsatisfactory for the rest of the season.

Lest anyone forget, last year against the Yankees it was not the starting pitching that failed, Baker was awesome in game 163, Pavano was excellent and so was Blackburn. No it was the offense that scored 6 totals runs over the 3 games.

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
...He has all the hallmarks of being an ace in the MLB.

I'm not arguing that point. The fact is those, given all of those stats, it's still not showing up in the W-L column as an ace does. So right now, this season, he is not an ace. He is a strong #2 along with Pavano.

The hitting did let down the team last year in the playoffs, but I'd argue that the Twins could benefit from that shutdown 'ace'. When you have a pitcher on the mound where the team knows that every single time he's out there, you're going to have a shot to win... it allows the team to play loose. The Twins simply don't have that right now.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I'm not arguing that point. The fact is those, given all of those stats, it's still not showing up in the W-L column as an ace does. So right now, this season, he is not an ace. He is a strong #2 along with Pavano.

The hitting did let down the team last year in the playoffs, but I'd argue that the Twins could benefit from that shutdown 'ace'. When you have a pitcher on the mound where the team knows that every single time he's out there, you're going to have a shot to win... it allows the team to play loose. The Twins simply don't have that right now.

Wins and Losses are just about the most terrible way to gauge a pitcher by, he has no control over if the offense scores 10 runs or 1. I'll relate it back tot the playoffs last year, Blackburn and Pavano pitched well but didn't get the win because our offense was terrible(and Joe Nathan).

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
Wins and Losses are just about the most terrible way to gauge a pitcher by, he has no control over if the offense scores 10 runs or 1. I'll relate it back tot the playoffs last year, Blackburn and Pavano pitched well but didn't get the win because our offense was terrible(and Joe Nathan).

Yet, wins and losses are the only thing stat that actually count in baseball. Don't get me wrong, I think Liriano is a stud... he's just not an ace right now.

Liriano is getting 5.75 runs per game in support. Not exactly horrible.

Pavano is at 5.26.
Baker 6.10
Blackburn 8.91 (holy ****)
Slowey 8.6 (holy ****)

Last edited:

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Yet, wins and losses are the only thing stat that actually count in baseball. Don't get me wrong, I think Liriano is a stud... he's just not an ace right now.

Pavano is at 5.26.
Baker 6.10
Slowey 8.6 (holy ****)

Yes but it is extremely stupid to ascribe wins and losses to one player(aka the pitcher) when the sport is extremely team oriented. Half the game he has absolutely no influence over(the hitting of his team) and the other half he can't control the relative range, skill and positioning of the defense behind him..

Also in relative terms thats lousy run support as well, its 13th worst in the AL(shouldn't be compared with NL as having a pitcher hit will severely curtail run scoring). Of the 12 above him 8 are from bottom dwellers, aka Seattle, Baltimore, KC, Toronto, Cleveland which explains why they are doing lousy, they don't score runs.

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
Dude. I get what you're saying... you can stop trying to make statistical arguments for Liriano. He is pitching well, the fact of the matter is that the Twins do not have an ace on the staff right now and that includes Liriano.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
I picked him up for my fantasy team along with a staff of Petite, Ubaldo Jimeniz, and Josh Johnson, and my staff still regularly gets beat......WTF?:confused:

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
The thing is, how much of the future are your willing to sacrifice in order to make a more serious run at the world series.
One of the main reasons, besides money, that Santana moved on was because the Twins were always planning for the future and never playing to win NOW. I believe he said something to the effect "We are always planning for the future. When does the future get here and we try to win now?"
If the Twins don't win a World Series soon, with the talents of Mauer and Morneau, it will be one of the biggest failures ever. Make the moves to get it done now, Twins.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Dude. I get what you're saying... you can stop trying to make statistical arguments for Liriano. He is pitching well, the fact of the matter is that the Twins do not have an ace on the staff right now and that includes Liriano.

Is Roy Halladay (10-8) not an ace this year because he's 10-8? Even though his stats say he's pitching better than he did the last two years?

The fact is that your definition of "ace" is ridiculous.

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
The fact is that your definition of "ace" is ridiculous.

Define 'ace' for me then. Please do. To me, an ace is a guy where the team knows EVERY TIME he steps on the field that they have a better than 90% chance of winning. Liriano is strong right now, but he's not an ace. An ace doesn't give up 13 runs in two games against a division rival in a pennant race like he has the last two against DET.

American league 'aces' that would get chosen over Liriano in a heartbeat right now if you had to win 1 game (being conservative):
Lee
Hernandez
Lester
Price
Sabathia
Greinke
Niemann
Verlander

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Pavano is at 5.26.
Baker 6.10
Slowey 8.6 (holy ****)

For me the bottom three are a disappointment this year for me. I had all three and dropped them on my Fantasy team. Pavano and Liriano are the movers this year.

Last edited:

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Define 'ace' for me then. Please do. To me, an ace is a guy where the team knows EVERY TIME he steps on the field that they have a better than 90% chance of winning. Liriano is strong right now, but he's not an ace. An ace doesn't give up 13 runs in two games against a division rival in a pennant race like he has the last two against DET.

American league 'aces' that would get chosen over Liriano in a heartbeat right now if you had to win 1 game (being conservative):
Lee
Hernandez
Lester
Price
Sabathia
Greinke
Niemann
Verlander

Greinke is 6-9, by your own definition he can't be an ace, and Hernandez is 7-6 too.

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
Greinke is 6-9, by your own definition he can't be an ace, and Hernandez is 7-6 too.

On teams 20 games below .500. Much different story. You'd still take them without thinking over Liriano as a #1 right now.

Do you Twins fans really actually think this team has an 'ace' right now and that Liriano is it?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Pavano is at 5.26.
Baker 6.10
Slowey 8.6 (holy ****)

First off, where are you getting 5.75 runs per game in support? The guy has pitched in 19 games this year and has gotten a total of 71 runs, good for 3.74 runs per game in support. Nowhere close to the 5.75 you are suggesting he's getting. Second, if you notice below, Liriano tends to get his "run support" in several games when he doesn't necessarily need it, such as 4/15 against Boston, 4/21 against Cleveland, 5/2 against Cleveland, and 7-21 against Cleveland. Third, as bolded below, the guy has had only 4 bad games all year - games where he has given up 4 or more earned runs.

4/09 CHW W 4-3 F/11 (ND) (3 ER)
4/15 BOS W 8-0 (W) (0 ER)
4/21 CLE W 6-0 (W) (0 ER)
4/27 DET W 2-0 (W) (0 ER)
5/02 CLE W 8-3 (W) (3 ER)
5/08 BAL L 3-7 (L) (5 ER)
5/15 NYY L 1-7 (L) (3 ER)
5/20 BOS L 2-6 (L) (5 ER)
5/26 NYY L 2-3 (ND) (2 ER)
5/31 SEA W 5-4 (W) (3 ER)
6/05 OAK W 4-3 (ND) (1 ER)
6/11 ATL W 2-1 (W) (1 ER)
6/17 COL L 1-5 (L) (3 ER)
6/23 MIL L 3-5 (L) (3 ER)
6/28 DET L 5-7 (L) (6 ER)
7/03 TB L 6-8 (ND) (1 ER)
7/09 DET L 3-7 (L) (7 ER)
7/21 CLE W 6-0 (W) (0 ER)
Francisco Liriano Game Log | twinsbaseball.com: Stats

Bottom line - Liriano has a 3.54 ERA for this season and he's getting 3.74 runs per game in support, and he has pitched only 4 games this season where the onus is on him. Is it any wonder the guy has an 8-7 record? His offense isn't getting the job done for him.

On teams 20 games below .500. Much different story. You'd still take them without thinking over Liriano as a #1 right now.

Do you Twins fans really actually think this team has an 'ace' right now and that Liriano is it?

Yes - Liriano is pitching "lights out" according to the stats above. He just isn't getting help where and when needed from his offense.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA

Every team has an "ace." It's a very debatable term. To me the term "ace" means the team's best pitcher.