Want to make my backyard another living space. Recommendations?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
We live in a townhome, but can modify our backyards. We have a walkout basement with a small backyard. I'd love to make it feel like just another room of our house (albeit, outside). I'm thinking about extending the patio, maybe putting in a built-in gas grill, maybe a small water feature, add to the landscaping, etc.) Do people have recommendations for individuals, firms, books, websites, etc. that could help me make this happen? I'd like to do some of the work myself, but would need a professional/visionary to plan it and help with the more difficult tasks (i.e...move sprinkler heads, lay pavers, put in the water feature,).

Thanks!

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Go out to This Old House's website. Within the past few months they did a profile of backyard spaces and ideas in the mag. Not sure if its online, but if you search their site, I'm sure you'll fund all kinds of articles and pictures for ideas.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
We live in a townhome, but can modify our backyards. We have a walkout basement with a small backyard. I'd love to make it feel like just another room of our house (albeit, outside). I'm thinking about extending the patio, maybe putting in a built-in gas grill, maybe a small water feature, add to the landscaping, etc.) Do people have recommendations for individuals, firms, books, websites, etc. that could help me make this happen? I'd like to do some of the work myself, but would need a professional/visionary to plan it and help with the more difficult tasks (i.e...move sprinkler heads, lay pavers, put in the water feature,).

Thanks!

If you have the budget, you might consider consulting a landscape architect for something very specific to your space and needs.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
-Read lots of books and review as many plans as you can.
-Get an overall plan before you start.
-Use the best materials you can afford.
-Hire a pro for most if not all if you can afford it.
-Be prepared to maintain features such as water fountains and plants.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
PS: I built an 1800 gallon water garden in my parents backyard about 10 years ago. Really cool, attracts wildlife, relaxing sound of water running etc, but its a bit of a maintenance chore.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
If you have the budget, you might consider consulting a landscape architect for something very specific to your space and needs.

I may be willing to pay for that. Any local recommendations for good landscape achitects in the DM area? I'd like to do a lot of the planting myself, but that is about as far as my skills (and ambition) go.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
PS: I built an 1800 gallon water garden in my parents backyard about 10 years ago. Really cool, attracts wildlife, relaxing sound of water running etc, but its a bit of a maintenance chore.

The water feature is only an idea, not a requirement and remember, this is a townhome so yards are small. I won't be looking at anything anywhere near 1800 gallons (if I do anything at all).

I just went and measured the space. Not including the current patio, it is approx 38' by 36'. Also, I have to leave access for the both neighbors and the lawn people (as we're a middle unit of four) so we can't cut off north/south traffic.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Haven't ruled that out (in fact several of my neighbors have them) , but I can place that on my patio now. Don't really need someone to help me plan that, but I do appreciate the reminder. I wouldn't mind having a hot tub as part of my outdoor living room too if it works out.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
-Read lots of books and review as many plans as you can.
-Get an overall plan before you start.
-Use the best materials you can afford.
-Hire a pro for most if not all if you can afford it.
-Be prepared to maintain features such as water fountains and plants.

Great advice, but I was hoping for some specifics. Names of books/magazines. Where/how do you best draft a plan? etc.

terryk

Apr 13, 2006
Grimes
Great advice, but I was hoping for some specifics. Names of books/magazines. Where/how do you best draft a plan? etc.

we used Perrenial Gardens out of Ankeny/ ISU grad. Also a water garden guy at Renes green house Johnston, i think he is an ISU grad as well

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
The water feature is only an idea, not a requirement and remember, this is a townhome so yards are small. I won't be looking at anything anywhere near 1800 gallons (if I do anything at all).

I just went and measured the space. Not including the current patio, it is approx 38' by 36'. Also, I have to leave access for the both neighbors and the lawn people (as we're a middle unit of four) so we can't cut off north/south traffic.

Sure, sure. My 'rents place is a farm - lots of space. I guess all I was trying to say is that having water (sound) is a nice amenity, but you'd definitely want to do something to scale.

Unfortunately I think I know one L.A. in Des Moines area, and Im not sure about his availability. I could definitely hook you up in Madison. You may be able to find a young professional on this board who's looking to moonlight for cheap. The easiest thing to do is have them develop some ideas for you (space planning) and then go landscaping companies and get bids.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Read, look around, ask questions and learn. Then do it for yourself. It will give you something to do and save you a pile of money.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Read, look around, ask questions and learn. Then do it for yourself. It will give you something to do and save you a pile of money.

I appreciate the input, but these comments aren't really helpful. Maybe I need to be a bit more specific.

I have a decent paying "regular" job and a side business...plus a wife and 4 year old daughter that I like to spend time with. It doesn't "save me a pile of money" spending hours and hours away from these priorities to learn and then create the type of backyard I'm wanting to put in (and in the process, having a good chance of having to learn via trial and error) . As I prioritize what my time is worth, getting assistance for a lot of this work is more appropriate. Like I said, I'm willing to do the planting and maintance, but that is about it.

saf

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2006
Ames, IA
Give Country Landscapes a call--owned by 2 ISU alums. I work there along w/ several other CF members.

We do all sizes and scopes of projects all over the state. From large commercial projects like Wells Fargo, Aviva, and Edgewater to estates to foundation plantings or landscape renovations...to outdoor living spaces. :) Country Landscapes, Inc.

Reactions: capitalcityguy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron