House additions-Architect needed

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
My wife and I are thinking about adding onto our house. It's not going to be a little project. We've come to the conclusion that we love where we're at and don't really want to move.

When we bought our house we got a pretty sweet deal on it. Looking at houses that we're interested in, we've found that the asking price is $80k-$100k more than what we owe now.

We're looking for some good achitects to come in and give us an idea of what we can and cannot do. This isn't going to be something that we do all at once. We'll probably have to do it in phases over the next 5 years or so.

So, are there any recommendations for firms or individuals that you think might do a good job?

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
My wife and I are thinking about adding onto our house. It's not going to be a little project. We've come to the conclusion that we love where we're at and don't really want to move.

When we bought our house we got a pretty sweet deal on it. Looking at houses that we're interested in, we've found that the asking price is $80k-$100k more than what we owe now.

We're looking for some good achitects to come in and give us an idea of what we can and cannot do. This isn't going to be something that we do all at once. We'll probably have to do it in phases over the next 5 years or so.

So, are there any recommendations for firms or individuals that you think might do a good job?

http://alvinstecker.com/about.htm

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
You sure you need an architect? Do you have a design idea? Maybe you need a structural engineer?

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
You sure you need an architect? Do you have a design idea? Maybe you need a structural engineer?

Yes, they need an architect. There is a good one in Des Moines named Mike Young. PM me for more info if you'd like.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
1161535375-1159678824471.jpg

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Good grief, the man asked for a specific suggestion and what's with all the attitude?

You may be able to get by without one, if selecting the right builder with an architect/engineer on their team. But regardless, modifying the structure of your home is nothing to fool around with, money spent today can easily save you heartache tomorrow.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
What kind of idea's do you and your wife have for your home? I suppose you are looking at adding a second level which would bring up your question.

Just a word of advice adding a second level to a existing home is usually more hassle than it is worth.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
What kind of idea's do you and your wife have for your home? I suppose you are looking at adding a second level which would bring up your question.

Just a word of advice adding a second level to a existing home is usually more hassle than it is worth.

We've thought that as well. Here's where we stand. We're two houses away from an elementary school, a block away from a park and two blocks away from Hy-Vee.
We couldn't ask for better neighbors and our back yard is big enough that we can expand but still have more than enough room.

This could very well be our last house. Do we spend the money and make it the house that we want OR do we go out and buy a house for $100k more than what we owe now.

We're not going to put ourselves in debt over this. We're going to save the money and then do the next thing on the list. that's why we are wanting to take in stages.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive

If you want quality, go with this guy. He was my roommate at ISU and is outstanding in his field.

JournalStar.com

HuskerClone

Mar 30, 2006
One of the advantages to having an architect/designer is getting recommendations on the builder. It is a lot easier to waste money on shoddy work than on a bad design. You can always change the design before construction starts but it costs a lot to tear into walls and fix problems later. Check out a program named Holmes on Homes if you want to see some real horror stories about bad contractors.

The only way you can keep a bad contractor from cutting corners is be there to watch the work every minute. Make sure you get someone you can trust and don't just take the cheapest price.

We did what you're doing, expanding instead of moving. We used a designer, got recommended contractors and suppliers and came out of the whole thing happy.

CyBride

Nov 10, 2007
Look at HCS Builders in Ames. They can design the work to be done, and have a great crew. I know that they will work in Des Moines. We built with them and couldn't be happier with the whole process, from design through moving in.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
FYI, persons who are not registered architects in Iowa may perform planning and design services for detached residential buildings containing 12 or fewer family dwelling units of not more than 3 stories and outbuildings in connection with the buildings. Also, nonstructural alterations to existing buildings which do not change the use of the building.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron