Why do we like ISU football?

CycloneNC2015

Jul 28, 2009
Urbandale
Why do we as ISU fans love our Cyclones? Does it fill some sort of inferiority complex? Is there something missing from our lives that drives us to talk ISU football 365/7? What is it about the sport of football that we love?

I really am unable to put my finger on it. Especially after reading through some of the recent threads. It seems that anyone who dares think boldly that we may at some point in time in the future compete on a higher level, is automatically dismissed as some luney. If there is no hope for the future or betterment of our team why even go? Are we all just a bunch of closet alcoholics who just need a reason to drink? I think we can all agree ISU football does nothing to make us want to stop drinking.

The short time I have spent on this board has been pretty fun, but for the most part it is disheartening to see the ongoing pessimism. The constant fight for relevance is almost to much to bear. What happened with the B12 only drives the stake deeper into my cardinal colored heart. Maybe blind pessimism is what makes the Cyclone world go round.

Jun 2, 2010
Jack Trice Stadium
Why do we as ISU fans love our Cyclones? Does it fill some sort of inferiority complex? Is there something missing from our lives that drives us to talk ISU football 365/7? What is it about the sport of football that we love?

I really am unable to put my finger on it. Especially after reading through some of the recent threads. It seems that anyone who dares think boldly that we may at some point in time in the future compete on a higher level, is automatically dismissed as some luney. If there is no hope for the future or betterment of our team why even go? Are we all just a bunch of closet alcoholics who just need a reason to drink? I think we can all agree ISU football does nothing to make us want to stop drinking.

The short time I have spent on this board has been pretty fun, but for the most part it is disheartening to see the ongoing pessimism. The constant fight for relevance is almost to much to bear. What happened with the B12 only drives the stake deeper into my cardinal colored heart. Maybe blind pessimism is what makes the Cyclone world go round.

A few years ago, McCarney was fired because Cyclone fans wanted to go to the next level. Now, anytime someone discusses that next level, they are called a homer and told they should be happy with mediocrity.

Reactions: CycloneErik

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009

You are 100% correct. The same guys on this board who are constantly downplaying ISU football are the same guys that go to the first game, then hit up maybe one game after that, but in November are no where to be found, but on this site going off about the team in the ****Official game thread**** when they should have their *** at the game, helping pay for everything they want done. Hate to say it but 30% of Cyclone fans suck at being Cyclone fans.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
You are 100% correct. The same guys on this board who are constantly downplaying ISU football are the same guys that go to the first game, then hit up maybe one game after that, but in November are no where to be found, but on this site going off about the team in the ****Official game thread**** when they should have their *** at the game, helping pay for everything they want done. Hate to say it but 30% of Cyclone fans suck at being Cyclone fans.

You might be shooting to low on that one. :sad:

CycloneNC2015

Jul 28, 2009
Urbandale
A few years ago, McCarney was fired because Cyclone fans wanted to go to the next level. Now, anytime someone discusses that next level, they are called a homer and told they should be happy with mediocrity.

So true. Maybe its the constant kicks to the scrotum that is driving the pessimism. But that begs the question, why come back? and if you come back why come back only to be a pessimist and expect mediocrity?

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007
Well, I am a Cyclone football fan because I attended and graduated from Iowa State University.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I guarantee I'm not the only person here who would be thrilled if we were a .500 program each year and occasionally had the 9-3 year. Iowa State football over the long haul has not been a good program. I would welcome mediocrity with arms wide open.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

baby%20crying.jpg

CycloneNC2015

Jul 28, 2009
Urbandale

If this is the case, why be a cyclone fan? Are we a bunch of masochinists (sp?). If you are only going to half *** it why not jump on a good bandwagon?

I think I am going to attempt this new found version of ISU fandome. The half-asser, with no real clear cut goals. I certainly wouldnt want to set myself up for failure and if I dont set any goals I cant fail. I like it already.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
If this is the case, why be a cyclone fan? Are we a bunch of masochinists (sp?). If you are only going to half *** it why not jump on a good bandwagon?

I think I am going to attempt this new found version of ISU fandome. The half-asser, with no real clear cut goals. I certainly wouldnt want to set myself up for failure and if I dont set any goals I cant fail. I like it already.

So I as a fan am supposed to set goals for the football team I cheer for. I can't control the meeting of those goals in anyway. What happens when they don't meet my goals? Do I then find a team that can meet my goals? That sounds like a bandwagon fan to me.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I guarantee I'm not the only person here who would be thrilled if we were a .500 program each year and occasionally had the 9-3 year. Iowa State football over the long haul has not been a good program. I would welcome mediocrity with arms wide open.

Could not agree with this more. I want to eventually improve from mediocrity, but I'm not unrealistic to believe that it will just happen overnight, even with a coach like CPR at the helm. What's worse, is the same people with the unreasonable expectations today are going to be the same people 5 months from now that demand CPR be held accountable for not meeting their unrealistic expectations.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Why do we as ISU fans love our Cyclones?

well most of us probably went to school there, and or are from the state. to me thats where most ISU fans come from.

me personally i hold out hope every year that we are going to be really good. and some years we get close, and most years it doesnt work out. but i keep believing.

im overly positive every year. for instance i thought we should have won 9 games last year, and i was not happy about the season at all. we should have added KU, and Kstate to the win list for sure. Iowa game sucked... i always think we should be a few games better then we end up... im sure the coaches do to, and im sure the players do... if they dont, they will never make it happen.

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
This mailbag from Stewart Mandel sheds a lot of light on being a fan of a lower tier program: Phil Steele not crazy ranking Oklahoma No. 1 in preseason poll - Stewart Mandel - SI.com

Being born and raised in Columbus as a Buckeyes fan, this goes against all that I was taught to believe in college football, but pulling for the underdog that reaches the peak once or twice in a lifetime is much more gratifying. I went to Wake Forest. A couple years after I graduated they won the ACC Championship. Even though it was the most watered-down ACC ever, it was still more exciting than any of the Buckeyes' last six Big Ten titles.
-- Kyle, Columbus, Ohio

Jun 2, 2010
Jack Trice Stadium

I understand ISU has not had a good program for most of it's history. But. McCarney got us to mediocrity, the reason for getting rid of him was to move to that next level.

CycloneNC2015

Jul 28, 2009
Urbandale
Well, I am a Cyclone football fan because I attended and graduated from Iowa State University.

So, if you wouldnt have paid $40,000 for that piece of paper you wouldnt be a fan? Do you feel that if you become a fan of a successful program it was a waste of 40k? For 40k I can think of alot of other schools that you could have bought your fandome to, that would have treated you much better.