Anyone else going to Austin

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
this year. I am getting my plane reservations wrapped up today. Anyone else going?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Nice work outta you. I am staying at the team hotel. Not sure what one it is yet. How is the tailgating down there on gameday.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm going. Should be a large crew of us heading to the game. My cousin is trying to sleep w/a girl starting law school there this fall, so hopefully that will be a place to crash. A buddy of one of the guys that's going with me lives in Austin too, but he isn't sure how that guy's wife is going to feel about 8 drunks from Iowa sleeping on their floor.

If all else fails, we'll get a hotel. We went to Baylor 2 years ago, and A&M last year, and got hotels for both of those trips.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I'm going. Should be a large crew of us heading to the game. My cousin is trying to sleep w/a girl starting law school there this fall, so hopefully that will be a place to crash. A buddy of one of the guys that's going with me lives in Austin too, but he isn't sure how that guy's wife is going to feel about 8 drunks from Iowa sleeping on their floor.

If all else fails, we'll get a hotel. We went to Baylor 2 years ago, and A&M last year, and got hotels for both of those trips.

This sounds like it could be a story out of "I Hope they Serve Beer in Hell" in the making.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
What is tailgating like in Austin? Is it more Iowa State or Iowa. For example at Iowa State you can walk around and meet people and drink others alchohol. At Iowa it's so spread out and you kind of need to know someone at the party or your shunned.

bgprest

Aug 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
My wife, son, and I already have our tickets lined up. We'll be coming over from our home in Plano (north Dallas). My wife's uncle has been a Texas season ticket holder for 30 years so we've got some pretty good seats, albeit in the midst of burnt orange.

I'm looking forward to us upsetting Texas!!! This is one of those win/win kind of games - we're expected to lose big so it should be easy to beat expectations at the very least. But I'd like to see those expectations beaten to a pulp. It would sure make living in Texas a hell of a lot more liveable for a year or so of great bragging rights!

I was present when we stuck A&M with their worst Kyle Field defeat in history. It's time to make the record books at Memorial Stadium!!!

Who's with me?... let's make a toast with our Kool-Aid!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What is tailgating like in Austin? Is it more Iowa State or Iowa. For example at Iowa State you can walk around and meet people and drink others alchohol. At Iowa it's so spread out and you kind of need to know someone at the party or your shunned.

Texas seemed pretty spread out but everyone seemed pretty nice when we were there last time around. At least until my brother (who was going to TAMU) showed up in TAMU gear. That kinda ended at that point.

HtownCyclone

Apr 25, 2009
Houston, TX

I was tailgating there for the tex tech game last year; It was the opposite of tailgating at ISU. Very commercial with a ton of sponsors, private areas, places with security and spread out amongst little parking lots and big parking garages all over the place. It dosnt have the fun hang out in the park feel that ISU has but we had fun regardless meeting up with some TT girls and hanging out all day. The weather should be awesome though so I cant wait to go back.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
a couple of guys in our house are thinking about roadtripping it down there on the bus that they got last year for the bowl game. im actually looking forward to going to a different big 12 town besides manhattan

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
a couple of guys in our house are thinking about roadtripping it down there on the bus that they got last year for the bowl game. im actually looking forward to going to a different big 12 town besides manhattan

The only Big 12 town worse than Manhattan is Waco. Well, Lubbock probably is too, but I haven't been there yet. Just going on what friends have told me about Lubbock (Tech fans will try to kill you apparently).

I'm sure Manhattan is fun (people were nice) like Ames, but I just don't see it winning any awards for being a great small city, like Ames does.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm going. Should be a large crew of us heading to the game.

We went to A&M last year and Colo the year before. We are heading to Austin this year. Road trip for us 8, picking one up in Dallas, and have 2 down there! Can't wait!

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
The only Big 12 town worse than Manhattan is Waco. Well, Lubbock probably is too, but I haven't been there yet. Just going on what friends have told me about Lubbock (Tech fans will try to kill you apparently).

arent they too busy with their fat little girlfriends to bother with us?

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX

I was tailgating there for the tex tech game last year; It was the opposite of tailgating at ISU. Very commercial with a ton of sponsors, private areas, places with security and spread out amongst little parking lots and big parking garages all over the place. It dosnt have the fun hang out in the park feel that ISU has but we had fun regardless meeting up with some TT girls and hanging out all day. The weather should be awesome though so I cant wait to go back.

This. We had a hell of a time finding a spot to park at around the stadium (where you could light a grill and tailgate) A lot of people just park streetside. Most "public" parking (i.e. - not donor) are parking garages. Here's a map:

http://www.utexas.edu/parking/football.pdf

I want to say we FINALLY found a spot in Lot 25. Probably going to just find a spot in a garage and head to the ISUAA tailgate this time around.

Fans are super nice, though.