18th Century Ship Found at WTC Site

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Crazy! I love when they find artifacts like that. Cant wait to hear more about it.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
They finally dug deep enough to find the beginnings of the Free Mason's treasures.

Seriously though, that's pretty cool. I hope they figure some stuff out about it and it get's reported. Seems like a lot of times you get a story like this and there is never a follow up about what they found out.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
They finally dug deep enough to find the beginnings of the Free Mason's treasures.

Seriously though, that's pretty cool. I hope they figure some stuff out about it and it get's reported. Seems like a lot of times you get a story like this and there is never a follow up about what they found out.

I'd imagine the time it takes to do research and know much about it is way past most people's attention spans.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
so they used a ship as landfill, and now they want to dig it back up. ok? Let's bury something and dig it up 200 years later.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
so they used a ship as landfill, and now they want to dig it back up. ok? Let's bury something and dig it up 200 years later.

That's pretty much the whole field of Archaeology if you hadn't realized.:biglaugh:

rbrook

Mar 23, 2006
Newton, IA
Visit site

We already do. It's called a land-fill. I am positive in 200 years, someone is going to find some interesting items in our present garbage dumps. Our dumps may even become a fuel source sometime in the future.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I mean, this is interesting, but it is not like this is a boat that will offer a whole lot of insight into shipping back then. Shipping history is documented meticulously by different trading companies and merchants. Not sure what secrets they are really going to derive from it. Cool anyway.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Generally, they wait a little longer than 200 years, don't they?

In places like Europe, China, or Egypt where you have eons of stuff to dig up, yes.

But...
Civil War Archeology: Southeast Archeological Center: National Park Service.

or

Archaeology Magazine - The Art and Artifacts of the Channel Islanders 1942-1945

or

Aviation Archaeology Links

happens a lot. It just tends that the things we hear about are ancient civilizations because thats when media picks it up, or we just don't relate it to the word archaeology.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron