River Valley Golf Course

nwiafan

Dec 22, 2008
Hawarden
I was wondering if anyone has played this course in the past. I am playing tomorrow and was looking for some feedback on style of course and difficulty. Thanks in advance!!!

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
I was wondering if anyone has played this course in the past. I am playing tomorrow and was looking for some feedback on style of course and difficulty. Thanks in advance!!!

Hole #18 is a bee-atch. Watch for the green slanting back down the fairway and the approach is about a 55 degree angle to the elevated green. Otherwise, a fun course.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Hole #18 is a bee-atch. Watch for the green slanting back down the fairway and the approach is about a 55 degree angle to the elevated green. Otherwise, a fun course.

I agree with this. A lot of courses have 1 stupid hole, but the 18th at River Valley is the dumbest hole I have ever seen in my life. Believe it or not, they have actually IMPROVED that green in the last few years.

Other than that, I kinda like the course. There are some definite risk/reward shots out there (#11 in particular. There is more of that dog leg than can be cut off than it appears).

Sevey

Jun 16, 2007
Adel
Very nice layout. Most holes are very fair and forgiving. Can spray the ball and not get into a lot of trouble, though the trees are getting bigger. Two holes create a lot of problems for most people--#5 on the front (par 5 over a pond--reachable in 2, but must be a big hitter) #18 on the back (already have other comments on that hole so won't add others--just make sure to add a club to your choice when approaching the green). This is my home course and really enjoy playing it. I feel it is one of the best deals in the area and is usually not that difficult to get on. Also, blue grass fairways and bent greens. Enjoy!

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site

I parred that nasty green the first time I played it :smile: Still waiting for my next one though...

Others in this thread have pointed out some of the signature holes on the course. I think it provides a little bit of everything.

Neckbeard

Dec 20, 2008
Nice course and good value. It's a fair course. If you are hitting the ball well you can really score here.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I just reread my post, and I think it sounds a bit unfair. 18 does not define this course. Other than that hole, it's a lot of fun, really.

Not much to 1 or 2.

#3 is a tough par 3

#4 is interesting. Probably a good idea to lay back off the tee.

#5 is, as mentioned, tough. If you can't hit it 280+ off the tee, might as well hit a couple 5 irons to give you a decent 3rd over the pond.

#6...bunker right, and is reachable off the tee. Not too bad if you're right of that bunker. Good angle to the green.

#7 shortish, downhill par 4. If the wind is with you, it's driveable.

#8 dogleg right. Easy to hit it through the fairway on the left, so I always try to cut the corner. Not much trouble if you miss right.

#9 good par 3. Depending on wind, can be tough. Do not want to be in the front left bunker.

#10 nice driving hole. Not much to this hole.

#11 as I mentioned, you can cut a **** ton off this dogleg left. Par 5, and it's not inconceivable to have a 9 iron in. There is OB to the left and short of the cut-off though, so make sure you have enough to carry what you're cutting off.

#12 island par 3. Big green, so not much to worry about, but the tee shot is blind (tall marsh grass).

#13 slight dogleg right, OB left. Not much here though. Big green.

#14 straight par 4. Not much, unless wind is in your face, and you are playing into the prevailing wind.

#15 not much here. Green can be tough, depending on pin placement.

#16 long par 3, huge green. Two/three club difference from front of green to back.

#17 long par 5. Again, usually into the wind. Trash left, but you really have to tug on one to lose it there.

#18 get ready to live. At least an extra club on 2nd shot, and an impossible three tiered green, especially if dry. One of the few holes you would rather be short than long on the 2nd shot. If long, prepare for a big number.

#19 good clubhouse.

nwiafan

Dec 22, 2008
Hawarden
Thanks for the feedback and advice.

I really enjoyed playing the course as did the other three I played with. Everyone was very friendly and helpful, but the only complaint I had was that you can't split carts. We paid the same whether we had our own carts or whether we shared. I didn't want to make a huge deal out of it, but it seemed odd.

The $2 bud lights in the clubhouse made up for it though!!!:biggrin:

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I played it last weekend for first time. Great value for a nice course with an interesting layout. #5 and #18 were tough as others have said. Quick round as it wasn't busy.

Hawk4Life25

Nov 16, 2009
I used to work out at River Valley back when I was in school. The course is not too intimidating but what helps make it tough is the normally thick rough and greens that can be tough.

The prevailing summer wind direction is usually out of the south which makes #5 play extra long and the blind tee shot that much tougher.

It's too bad with #18 that couldn't have relocated or redesigned the hole to move the green to the lot located to the north (or the green's left side). By moving the green over there they couldv'e redesigned it with many different hole locations compared to the current green that has three small tiers with not very many places to put the pin.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
I need to become a member at this course for how often I play it :)

Really like it, for all the reasons already mentioned.

Got about 14 holes in last Friday night before it got too dark. Started off the back, missed a birdie putt on 10, birdied the next 3, pars from there...until...hole 18 happened :(

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I need to become a member at this course for how often I play it :)

Really like it, for all the reasons already mentioned.

Got about 14 holes in last Friday night before it got too dark. Started off the back, missed a birdie putt on 10, birdied the next 3, pars from there...until...hole 18 happened :(

That's some pretty good golf right there, but have ask...what happened on 18? What did you take?

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
That's some pretty good golf right there, but have ask...what happened on 18? What did you take?

Came up short on the approach, followed by a horrible chip, followed by a 3 putt. When the pin is on that lower tier, yikes...I feel like a bogey is a par and a par is a birdie.