NBA: The Three Mi-Egos Contracts

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
I find this to be an interesting development. Apparently BOTH Bosh AND James got the sign and trade they wanted.

Miami Heat guard Dwayne Wade ready for new season with LeBron James, Chris Bosh - ESPN

League sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher the Heat agreed to send the Toronto Raptors two first-round picks in a sign-and-trade for Bosh. The picks are Toronto's first-round selection in 2011, which Miami had acquired earlier, and the Heat's own first rounder in 2011, according to the sources.

James was also involved in a sign-and-trade, a source told Bucher.

Because of the sign-and-trades, a source said James and Bosh signed matching six-year, $110 million deals. Wade came in slightly under his two new teammates at six years and $108 million, according to the source.

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
I find it odd Wade took the biggest paycut. But apparently each one took about 15 mil less overall.... just about enough for a Mike Miller contract... and maybe Haslem too.

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
I'm more surprised that Cleveland did a sign and trade.

Yeah forgot to mention that.. looks like someone convinced Dan Gilbert to come to his senses a bit.

Looks like the price is first-round draft picks in 2013 and 2015 and second-round draft picks in 2011 and 2011 from Miami to Cleveland.

Last edited:

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Yeah forgot to mention that.. looks like someone convinced Dan Gilbert to come to his senses a bit.

Looks like the price is first-round draft picks in 2013 and 2015 and second-round draft picks in 2011 and 2011 from Miami to Cleveland.

Wow, I'm surprised they got that much. Pretty nice consolation.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
Can't help it, I'm going to do the math here.

LeBron: 14.5 M
Bosh: 14.5 M
Wade: 14.2 M
Joel Anthony: 1.06 M qualifying offer
Mario Chalmers: $854,000
James Jones: 1.55M buyout.
Mike Miller: 6M
total: 52.7M
Salary cap: 58M

$5.3 Million left. WOW.

Reactions: HiltonMagic

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia

$5.3 Million left. WOW.

I thought the salary cap was 65 or 68 mil. Not 63

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006
Wasn't one of Lebron's points in his 1 hour special was that he was going for the wins and not money and thats why he didn't do a sign and trade? So he actually did do a sign and trade and lied? I have no idea if he got more or less money this way but why did he lie in his interview?

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
Wasn't one of Lebron's points in his 1 hour special was that he was going for the wins and not money and thats why he didn't do a sign and trade? So he actually did do a sign and trade and lied? I have no idea if he got more or less money this way but why did he lie in his interview?

After 'The Decision,' I'm left with more questions than answers

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM

Not sure, but it could also be because they all wanted to sign equal length contracts. Otherwise Bosh and James could only sign 5 years. There is also the chance that Miami offered it to Cleveland AFTER LeBron agreed. a 6th year now would be better than a post new CBA year, so it would make up for the paycut they are taking.

The whole thing does sound a bit sketchy though.

I agree with HM, the Decision really did leave more answers... though Dan Gilbert's behavior has completely vindicated the decision. Not how it was done, but I don't blame him for wanting to leave at all.

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
Not sure, but it could also be because they all wanted to sign equal length contracts. Otherwise Bosh and James could only sign 5 years. There is also the chance that Miami offered it to Cleveland AFTER LeBron agreed. a 6th year now would be better than a post new CBA year, so it would make up for the paycut they are taking.

The whole thing does sound a bit sketchy though.

I agree with HM, the Decision really did leave more answers... though Dan Gilbert's behavior has completely vindicated the decision. Not how it was done, but I don't blame him for wanting to leave at all.

I disagree that Gilbert's behavior vindicates Lebron.

According to this article Gilbert gave James everything he ever asked for.
I think he left because he knows he cant be the centerpiece of a championship team. In Miami he will be a co-centerpiece with Wade.
Easy come, easy go for King James - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006

$5.3 Million left. WOW.

Not sure on the math, but guessing Jarvis Varnado makes the roster for sure. Same with Da'Sean Butler and Scheyer, and maybe Pittman. Even if all of those guys sign for the minimum, you still need 3 more roster spots, and Varnado is the only one with with big time potential.

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
Not sure on the math, but guessing Jarvis Varnado makes the roster for sure. Same with Da'Sean Butler and Scheyer, and maybe Pittman. Even if all of those guys sign for the minimum, you still need 3 more roster spots, and Varnado is the only one with with big time potential.

I would have thought Pittman has a better chance than everyone else to make the roster, but I could see all of em making it. Veterans minimum players can be signed to exceed the cap, and supposedly Haslem may take a paycut and fill about 4-5 million.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I'm more surprised that Cleveland did a sign and trade.

Fortunately for the Cavs, it appears that someone in the organization is thinking rationally even though the owner apparently is not. By doing this they at least get something in return...four draft picks from the reports (2 firsts and 2 seconds)...likely not great picks but you never know and it certainly beats getting nothing from the situation.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron